HybridZ

130...140...160mph...???

davidh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take mine to 90 mph every day.

Fastest was 125 from los angeles to San Francisco for an hour straight.

It was white knuckle riding all the way. Got out of it to go to get gas and a six pack of Mountain Dew, then promptly did 90-100mph all the way back. It was fun, but a little dangerous, some lady was half asleep at the wheel in a burgundy Volvo doing 50mph and I had to use the shoulder to pass, no way I could have braked in time. Turbos love that top end.

Guest szlash280z

I did 140MPH indicated in my N/A, but it was more likely 125MPH because I had smaller diameter tires. it is really scary when you do that without fixing your alignment and have shitty tires, and blown out tie rod ends.

Guest bastaad525

there are those that say that the aerodynamics limits the stock S30 Z body to about 140 tops w/o DRAMATIC increases in hp, maybe 300rwhp or more. I had my N/A built up 240 up to about 125mph, and it definately had more to give, how much more, I dont know. Now I have a turbo in the same body, it definately pulls harder, plus my N/A was attached to a very close ratio trans and 3.9 diff, the turbo has a much wider spaced trans and 3.5 diff. When I had the N/A to 125, it was very close to redline at almost 6k rpm. In the turbo I can now do that same speed at 4500 :) so I have more revs to play with, with the theoretical 140mph top speed some give, coming on at about 5100rpm... still a little shy of the power peak of the motor. I would like to see some more people do some top speed runs in turbo 240's and see what they are really capable of. I think a turbo'd 240 with the 'normal' goodies, I/C, intake exhaust and all that, pushing 220-250 at the wheels, could easily hit 140, and I'd be surprised if it couldn't do more.

There was a guy in Germany a while back that used to post on zcar.com. He had a nice photo of himself driving down the autobahn @ 160+mph in a 240z with what he said was a stock turbo engine. Oh, the photo was taken as he was doing this speed, 1 hand on the wheel, the other on the camera. :shock: I don't recall what his rev's were in the picture, but he hadn't hit redline yet. (also, I suspect the stock speedo is not terribly accurate, maybe out as much as 15mph up there)

There is no brick wall at 140mph. Drag increases as the square of the velocity... its pretty much as simple as that.

Guest bastaad525

Drax I agree. I do also know that the S30's body isn't as aerodynamic as it looks :( And I agree about the speedos being off... for one, who is still running stock sized tires on their 240??? And yeah also they are getting old. Amazingly, now that I have the right speedo cog in there, my speedo is dead on with the numbers I got off the transmission calculator webpage. I took it up to 90 and it showed exactly the right speed as per the tranny calculator.... I'm dying to take this car and see how fast it can really go, but I dont have an I/C and I'd be afraid of prolonged heat. The cool thing is I can modulate the boost so easily with my right foot... I can probably take it up pretty high w/o flooring it or running full boost, or overheating it.

SleeperZ, those are BFG DRs, I bet. Big difference the BFGs and the Nittos for street driving.

Boy, I do not even want to find out what the top speed on my car is. I was out testing my new cam (Oops, cats out the bag!) and my eyes bugged out at the 3rd gear acceleration. It's been a while since I drove the car at speed but that was 16psi in street trim :eek: Unfortunately, the tranny is not cooperating and at WOT, shifts 1-2 at 3800 and 2-3 at 5000. My converter flashes to 3900 so that is probably not going to work :D So frustrating, because the tranny is something I do not know much about.

Guest bastaad525

so what DO you guys think a mostly stock l28et motor could take a Z to? Lets say of the more 'common' turbo setups in a 240, running 10-13psi of boost, with I/C and adequate fuel, what should the top speed be? I'm thinking 140-150... more? less?

I think the top speed is more dependent upon the aerodynamics and suspension set up than the engine. The early Z's in particular catch a LOT of air under the front end and the resultant lift causes the steering to get extremely light at speed.

Mike Kelly stated in an old thread that he knows how to clean up the aerodynamics on a Z so they are stable at 160 MPH. Even has evidence. I will have to talk to that man some day.

The current LSR for an L6 powered 240Z (about 325 horsepower NA) is around 173mph on salt and that's with a g-nose and a lot of other aerodynamic aids. A stock bodied 240Z with the same power could not break the 160 mark. I've had my 240Z up to 142mph on a race track and it "might" get to 155 if I have enough room (and that's with 305hp.) The acceleration was tapering off above 140.

There are very, very few stock bodied 240Zs that have ever exceeded 150 true.

i had my 260z up to 134 mph when it was completely stock and would have gone faster if it wasn't for the fact i had a 4-speed. this was about 15 years ago when i wasn't afraid of the fact that the front wheels would barely stay on the ground due to the bad aerodynamics at speed. :shock: