HybridZ

M S A ...PERFECT SERVICE...

Guest 400HP280z

I had a gentelman from FLorida call me yesterday and ask about the control arms I made. We talked for almost half an hour and got onto the subject of WHY I quit making the control arms and WHAT others offer.

HIs exact comments mirror mine. Here they are:

"Back in the mid-late 90s MSA had a much better idea of what they had in their catalog, and what they had in stock. You'd call up MSA and Sal was usually the guy you got and we all know that Sal is 100% on the ball.

However, Now you call them up, tell them the part number and you are lucky if they A: Have it in the computer, B: Have it in stock C: Can get it in a reasonable amount of time!"

These were his words exactly. He used the example from two days back when he called and asked about their camber Kit they sell for the Zcar (Sits ontop of the strut isolator) and the guy on the phone couldn't even find it in the book.

Now, I agree that good employees are worth their weight... A good employee makes the business and the person managing that employee look THAT MUCH better, and my phylosaphy has always been to surround myself with good people, and I'm all but ensured success (Within my control!).

You can't say that about MSA these days. Sal is now babysitting, and he is overwhelmed day to day with every aspect of that business. When was the last time any of you spoke to him on the phone? And when Sam is there, you do have someone who knows Zcars... Beyond that, the staff there is less than impressive and I'd fire more than half them, especially their "KING of Diplomacy", Kurt.

As Tim and a few others have pointed out, There is very little competition within the community of Zcar owners. I recommended this gentleman to speak with Mike Gibson or Ross Corrigan about control arm solutions for his speific project/ problem.

MSA has some serious problems that won't be fixed any time soon. As Kurt told me two years ago. They are in the business first and foremost for the "Restoration" Crowd. This site and its members are less concerned with gucci matching matts and key chain rings and more impressed with getting a car to perform. 75% of their catalog is based on replacement resto parts, and cosmetics, with a small section devoted to performance. As Kurt said, They don't sell enough performance parts to make it worth their while. I know I certainly did... So much so that I couldn't keep up with it. Talks with Mike Gibson show that he also can't keep up with his business at times as well, and his parts selection was MUCH greater than mine.

My hope is that Ross Corrigan and others will be able to make a storefront that will actually compete with MSA. It will be good for everyone, including MSA. Without competition, you lose your focus and your drive... MSA has lost it.

Before you start hammering me about "How I've still got an Ax to grind" (And you know who you are... :? ), Please spare me. :roll: I don't care about stepping on toes anymore... If I ever go back to the MSA shows, I'll be there as a participant, not a vendor. So pissing in their rice bowl feels like the warm stream of relief that it is! :wink:

Bottom line is They have problems and some of their staff should be fired for being less than professional. 8)

For what it's worth, I'll likely be buying some parts from them in the near term... Unfortunately Victoria Brittish doesn't carry the GNose.

Mike

And I disagree with the concept that the customer is number 1. I feel that employees are number 1 and are the most important contributor to a company's success. Customer are number 2. Although it would be a very difficult choice and I would do everything I could to avoid it, I would rather lose a good customer then a good employee. And before you guys start flaming me, remember back to when your boss wouldn't back you up when a customer was wrong.

Thats a double edged sword!

A good employee is golden, but without the customer you won't have the money to pay that employee!

In the service industry their are 2 rules

Rule 1; The Customer is always right!

Rule 2; If the customer is wrong see rule number 1

A truly good employee will not have issues with the customer because he asks the customer what their trying to do, and works out potential problems before they happen.

Guys - I've been dealing off and on with MSA for about 15 years now. I have NEVER had a problem with them that wasn't overcome with a single phone call. They have always been courteous towards me and their service has been excellent. I have their products all over my car. Do they always make the best or cheapest of everything they offer, probably not. They do, however, have a huge offering at reasonable prices and are always the first place I look for an aftermarket part.

And here's the best part - they'll be there next week if I need to talk with them about a part I ordered.

And I disagree with the concept that the customer is number 1. I feel that employees are number 1 and are the most important contributor to a company's success. Customer are number 2. Although it would be a very difficult choice and I would do everything I could to avoid it, I would rather lose a good customer then a good employee.

If only more businesses thought this way!

Service in this country sucks (for the most part).

It makes a world of difference working with a company that values their employes.

A truly good employee will not have issues with the customer because he asks the customer what their trying to do, and works out potential problems before they happen.

Exactly! But, having run a software company for a long time I can tell you that there are millions of potential customers that have no idea what theya re trying to do. And they get pissed when you try to educate tham.

And Mike, I agree with your post, although I've had good luck with other MSA employees.

A little friendliness and courtesy is not too much to ask is it?

Motorsport does have a niche market and their prices, while sometimes a little high, are resonable. It's just the warm fuzzy feeling that's missing, and many times that is worth a hell of a lot!

Tim, you've got it right.

Exactly! But, having run a software company for a long time I can tell you that there are millions of potential customers that have no idea what theya re trying to do. And they get pissed when you try to educate tham.

JohnC, I think that was probably YOU.

Most of the time when customers get pissed, it's because of the guy on the phone. And being friendly is VITAL to selling and making customers happy. I picked up the habit of having a mirror in front of my desk while I was at my last sales job. When I first got there I was thinking--DAMN! This is a room full of VAIN people!!! Now, when I talk to customers I look in that mirror. If I see a person in the mirror that I wouldn't want to have a conversation with, because I looked pissed off or frustrated or whatever, then I take a break. Being knowledgeable and friendly are two different things, and quite a few people have one or the other!!!

It was pointed out to me at one point that I sounded pissed off. I didn't realize it, I wasn't pissed at all, but I would take a big breath before I picked up the phone, then sigh as I picked it up, and there was a shortness of breath and a tendency to stop my sentences suddenly, just the way I talk I guess. One of my managers told me that were he in the room with me, he would know by my facial expressions and body language that I was not upset, but over the phone the difference was amazing. People were being adversarial with me for seemingly no reason. I corrected this problem and my sales went through the roof, and my customers became happier!

Another good lesson I was taught, some people just shouldn't talk to each other. I don't know if it's some sort of auditory thing or what, but some people will rub each other the wrong way IMMEDIATELY. Those people should talk to someone else in your company. Anyone else. It's not personal, it just happens.

All of this may seem like nitpicking. It is not. I went from the bottom third of the sales staff at that job to the top 3 in ONE MONTH, just by changing my speaking voice a little tiny bit.

Jon

Sal is now babysitting...........................................when Sam is there, you do have someone who knows Zcars... Beyond that, the staff there is less than impressive

Uh, i have to agree. My experience is always great because when i call MSA, i always go right to the company directory and type in "SAM", either leave a message or he picks up right away. When i walk in, Sam always comes out from his desk and comes to the showroom to help me out. Maybe my experience with MSA is wonderful because Sam is the one that carries his weight around there. When i think about it, thats who i always deal with when it comes to MSA.

my 2 rusty copper cents....

I need a tetnus shot now..

Last time I thouhgt I blown my head gasket,a nd call them to order it. I asked, "what else should I buy?" and the guy had me to buy hte valve cover gaskets, paying $15 more. Of course, the haed gasket kit came with the valve cover gasket already.

I think that guy(if not the store) sucks!

It was pointed out to me at one point that I sounded pissed off. I didn't realize it' date=' I wasn't pissed at all, but I would take a big breath before I picked up the phone, then sigh as I picked it up, and there was a shortness of breath and a tendency to stop my sentences suddenly, just the way I talk I guess. One of my managers told me that were he in the room with me, he would know by my facial expressions and body language that I was not upset, but over the phone the difference was amazing. People were being adversarial with me for seemingly no reason. I corrected this problem and my sales went through the roof...[/quote']

Way to go on that one--you were looking for the solution and CARED about it! Now you reap the reward. When I was in car sales, we were taught to smile while we talked on the phone--makes a big difference on the other end for some reason! If you plan to almost sound giddy with internal customers, they'll WANT to talk to you because you're always 'happy.' Not sure how an external customer may take it, but that's what I try to do and it works.

Davy

y would you ask a sales rep what else to buy anyway.. like asking to get screwed.

My father and i have dealt with MSA since they first started, and we have had both great experience and horrible experience. All depends on who you talk to, I think creating their online catalog will help quite a bit.

Also, MSA is the only company i know of that offers such a selection of performance products for the Z cars. Victoria British just doesn't carry alot of it.

Also keep in mind when complaining about MSA that the Z market is not that big. When compared to other car markets the Z is very small. This is partly y you don't get the "warm fuzzy" feeling when you make a transaction. Half the people i talk to have no idea what a Z is... yet on the other hand.. my mail man will talk to me about his red 240 he used to own. He's japanese by the way. looks like the father of nissan actually lol.

Anyway, don't hate on them 2 bad... they are one of the better companies out there for Z's.

-Ed