HybridZ

what's that sound?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ok, first I want to apologize in advance for probably being a little bit of a wannabe here... :D

I am wondering what component of a turbo system makes the following sound, and if there is any way to make an N/A make a similar sound.

The sound I am referring too is the little pshhht sound that whats-his-face's eclipse makes when it shifts in the movie Fast and the Furious. Is that the BOV? Or something else? I am not sure why I like the sound, my little Prelude had a very faint similar sound even though it wasnt forced.

Yep thats a BOV. it lets all the air in the system leave so it wont damage the turbo. i dont do if theres away to make a N/A car do it but im sure those ricer kits out there makes it so you can.

mike

Guest bastaad525

Yeah there is...

I dont know where you'd get it, I haven't seen it at auto zone or anything, but I've seen this little gadget, it's basically a speaker, that you mount in your engine bay, with a little button that you mount in the car, like on your shifter, and every time you shift you press the button and the speaker makes that noise to make people think you've got a turbo. I'm not even kidding about this, I've seen TWO of them on (like you need me to tell you this) riced out Hondas.

I can't make this stuff up folks....

Oh, and they are rumored to add like FOURTY hp at the wheels :P:roll::bonk::twak:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

A speaker would be just too fake. It would be nice if I could make something that was at least functional in some way. I was thinking of making a flapper in the exhaust to drop closed between shifts and try making the pshht out the exhaust. I dunno, maybe I'll just wait and stick a supercharger and a BOV on my V8 :twisted:

Boy! I had to do a double take at this browzer website for a second. I thought I accidently entered http://www.cool-sound-no-HP-ricer.com :D .

Blow off valve; At high boost when you shift your turbo is spinning fast. Your BOV bypasses turbo boost back into your intake (between AFM and turbo for a stock ZXT; or into atmosphere if you have later FMS) so you don't just stop your turbo in its tracks causing you to possibly damage your turbo and also have to re-spool all over again in the next gear.

I guess everytime you shift you can yell PSSSSSSSSS..SHITTTT...unless its winter and then they couldn't hear you with the window rolled up! :roll: :malebitchslap: :puke:

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hey Len, dont be too rough... :wink:

To clarify, I wasnt hoping to find something that just makes the sound and has no other purpose. I was just hoping that I could make that sound on an N/A with something that would have at least some purpose.

Maybe a valve in the intake that would constrict at low throttle and increase the intake velocity. This would make a similar sound and have a purpose too as it would increase port velocity at the low RPMs and open up wide at the high RPMs.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, I have actually found out now that my driveshaft is about toast so it looks like the car is trying to point me towards making my V8 swap soon. Maybe it got too scared that I might add some rice. :roll:

Guest bastaad525

ROFL that video has GOTTA be fake... oh man... the personification of everything annoying about rice... good stuff.

Gotta love when the supra takes off and runs on the wrong side of the road :-P woo woooooooooooo

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Well, be careful what you wish for...

I now have a vacuum leak somewhere (I think it is the brake booster or the line going to the brake booster) and I hear a noticeable pssshhht when I rev and when I let off the gas quickly when shifting gears. Even get a little whistle at the high rpms. :?

As I said...

Be careful what you wish for..

• 1 month later...