HybridZ

Shifting?

pshepard327ci

Alright quick question for yall... yesterday i was driving home and i noticed it was getting harder and harder to shift into gears... especially at slow speeds. So on the way home there is a orielly were a friend of mine works, i tell him whats happeneing and we check the fluid... pretty empty. So i pick up some fluid top it off and start her up to leave and i cant get it into reverse just grinding. and i have to push with my whole body to get it into first gear... the guy at orielly said he is pretty sure its the slave cylinder... so i take it home and wake up this morning to jack it up and inspect... well there is what appears to be brake fluid under speedo assembly and the whole cable to it is covered in crap.. and i can see the speedo leaking were it connects to tranny.. does the fluid in the clutch assembly lubricate the speedo gear or did i possibly find another problem... the slave cylinder is completly dry and clean. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

peter

IF you don't see it leaking from the slave under the car, inspect the rear of the clutch master under the dash. Or just pull the master off the firewall, remove the dust boot and examine. My guess is you have a leaking rear seal in the clutch master most likely.

i got uder the dash and looked.. i looks like there is a little fluid on that rod but it doesnt look like it leaked all of it there... there is also no sign of leaking on firewall in engine bay...it appears that the fluid isnt leaking much anymore... it could be just a really slow leak i never really checked the fluid in there because i hardly drive it... could all this be from the air, and all i need to do is bleed them. im prolly going to go pick up one of those mighty vacs and see what that does. do i just do the slave or is there a bleed nipple on master to?

When you tried to shift it into first did it grind then as well?

If not then it isn't your slave or master. If the clutch isn't disengaging it would grind in every gear.

Sounds more lilke the shift forks or synchros are screwed up, especially if it doesn't grind.

Like the sychros are galled on the shaft or maybe the shifter shaft is jammed in some way.

Are all the gears acting the same?

Ken W.

I don't know, I had the same problem that you described last April. I thought that I had air in the system and when I tried to bleed it I couldn;t get ANY pressure. I then replaced the master and slave cylinder and was pleasantly supprised to find that all was well aferward. My master and slave basically fell apart in my hand when I removed them, so it was definately time to replace them.

wheelman - yes all the forward gears are acting the same.. but mainly it happens from a stop.. but i did try first and second, but no grinding just hard as hell to get in gear, requires massive brute strength. But the reverse gear does grind, can not get it into reverse gear! This is my first time messing around with manual transmissions so im not a expert at all, it appears pretty simple to replace both. how much does that usually cost and were is the best place to look. thanks for all the help

Do you have a hydraulic throwout bearing, or a conventional clutch fork? If it’s the latter, it’s likely that your clutch fork is bent.

The hydraulics (master and slave cylinder) are trying to do their job, but with a bent clutch fork, there’s nothing to "push with" – so, the clutch never fully engages and shifting is difficult. This happened on my mother’s 1995 Saturn (I know, very different type of car, but the basic concept is similar). Shifting into first or reverse was very difficult, shifting into second was easier, third was yet easier, and so forth.

Sounds like a classic case of MC or SC failure. Loss of fluid prevents the clutch from disengaging, and thus makes it very hard to shift into gear from a stop. Just about any transmission can be up or down shifted without disengaging the clutch once the vehicle is moving (but timing is everything). But from a dead stop into a gear is going to be very hard if not impossible if you've got air in the system (you'll probably notice the car tries to roll forward as you push the shifter into gear because the synchros are trying to turn the gearshaft in the tranny). You lost fluid, and that's where you need to focus your attention.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest exahertz
The speedo gear has nothing to do with the clutch fluid. Clutch fluid is brake fluid. The speedo gear is lubed with trany oil. It sounds like your clutch system has air in it. Try bleeding it.

Could I have this same problem or what it also be either a master or slave cylinder. The clutch itself wont disengage and can only be shifted if the RPMs match and u muscle it into gear. That would be damn awesome if thats the case. Car is an '83 280zx w/ only 76k on it, so I can't imaging anything incredibly expensive going wrong, car runs good etc. Car has a bit of rust on it not sure if that makes a difference in diagnosing.

Thanks,

Matt

Guest exahertz
Just pull the rubber boot off the master' date=' then the slave. If brake fluid drips out of either, then the seals are leaking. I always replace both at the same time, FWIW.

Jon[/quote']

Can you just replace the seals or do you need to buy a new master and slave cylinder.