HybridZ

Should it stay or should it go...

Mikelly

Yup, I have gotten some questions from some of our membership who seem concerned that my new purchase and new interest in the new car have possibly taken away from my Zcar intentions...

Yes and no. Here is the dilema I face... The Vette has a ton of aerodynamic features, like the belly pans, slick body work and the support of a huge aftermarket... The Zcar has horrible aerodynamics, as we all know, but is light. That is where I depart from selling the Z.

Couple of people locally have offered me significant money for the project, and I just turned down the last offer of $4500 for everything minus the 383 stroker. Just can't seem to let it and the whole Zthing go. So you guys are stuck with me.

I hope to have the car ready for paint soon. I've got two major honeydoos to complete over the next month, then money will be redirected BACK to the Z. I have since changed the mission of the car. Since I've now got the Vette, I'm not as pressed to have power windows, locks, and other amenities in the car. I may even skip the heat and a/c. I want the car to be fast, light, and look great. It will see lots of track time, and some street time. So, I'm gathering the last of my parts so I can finish up the motor... Headers and distributor are pretty much all I need.

I also need a trans and clutch kit. :roll:

Mike :D

those cars will serve two completely different purposes. don't woory about redundancy... i don't think it'll be a problem. the only thing i see as difficult is deciding which car to drive in the morning! :confused2:

and i'm glad to see i won't be the only one on the east coast without heat in a partially street-driven z!!! :D

besides, the vette's a phenomenal car, but the value of a sick car you built yourself is an immeasurable commodity.

why are you guys going without heat, even for your track/weekend car. I know the controls take up alot of space and they are not all the great looking, but you only need two levers and at fan switch to opperate this stuff and it doesn't weigh much at all? I am going to use chocke pulls to opperate 1) the heater core flow valve and 2nd) to opperate the defrost/heat chamber valve. Figure I can hide them but make them accessable enough. I have only ever had to drive a car once without heat/defrost in the cold and the next day hooked it all back up. I think your winters are much colder than mine too! Just my 2pennies

Keep em both if you can swing it. The vette is definatly and Eticket ride but it just doesn't have the charicter that a Z has.

I agree with Bill. Until I get SERIOUSLY competitive I'm keeping my heater. There are other places to lose weight.

A friend of mine has no dash and Tilton pedals and homemade aluminum gauge panels in his 510, but he kept his heater and I think it was a wise decision. Every time I've gone to the track or an autox in January I was glad I had mine.

Jon

Typically our autoX season ends first week of November and doesn't pic back up until March. If I do put heat in, I'll go ahead and do a Vintage heat and A/C setup, and have both. I may go civilized with it, may not. Just don't know quite yet...

Here in Virginia the winters can hit hard in November, and I've got 5 cars, so I won't be driving the Z or the Vette in incliment weather.

Mike :D

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
...but you only need two levers and at fan switch to opperate ...

Heck I dont even use the levers, I just reach under the dash and flip the shutter arms. Just mount the fan switch anywhere.

Thats my feeling too.. anyone with the cash can go and buy a Vette (not that I wouldn't if I did have some $$! :lol: )... but to build a Datsun.. or whatever for that matter.. is something else.. and as UN-arodynamic as they are, I love the lines of the Z. And in my neck of the woods, there are lots of Vettes, ONE datsun (other than mine that is... I dont think mine counts as a whole car yet... see sig. pic.) and about 5 bazilion Civics with rims, fart cans (mufflers some call them..), hood lights, ect. But even the Honda guys look when you pull into the parking lot in a Z. Most of them have that look :shock: 'wow.. what IS that?!?'. I like that...

i'm with mike on the fact that my car won't see cold weather much at all. take a virgiia winter x 50.... and welcome to the hudson valley! thus... no need for it, and in my case it's not so much for weight savings as it is because i don't want to muck up that pristine pdk fabrications fiberglass dash i'm installing by hacking it up to load in vents. :wink:

it's good to own cars other than your project!!!! :D