HybridZ

quick answer asap! pressure gauge

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I know Jersey mentioned to me a long time ago that he picked up a 0-100psi pressure gauge from home depot for about $10 and runs that inline of his fuel line to read fuel pressure. Anyone else do this? What kind of gauge do I need?? The home depot employees I spoke with didn't really seem to know what I was asking, but one did say that he didn't feel the pressure gauges they had would be safe with fuel.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I checked auto zone all they have are the kind you mount in your car that cost like $50, this one jersey used he just put under hood and cost like $10.

525 - they're in home depot and are only like $7. Look in the section for water pressure tanks. You'll have to buy a T and 2 barbed fittings so you can put it inline between the filter and hardline, that's why it ends up being around $10. They're brass internals witch will not be affected by fuel.

• 1 year later...

I found these parts at Home Depot and decided to give it a try.It worked great at first....nice steady needle readings but the second day its all shakey...the needle pulses rapidly between 25-30 psi..is this because it is a cheap guage????

LoL..

I work at Home Depot and I have never seen this guage..

Plumbing Aisle 28 ?!

Ok let's see here

153050_3.jpg

Ez-Flo

100 PSI Water Pressure Test Gauge

Model 45171

Price: $4.49/ea

Water pressure test gauge. Steel case, shatter resistant lens, 1/4 in. male iron pipe brass fitting connection with 2 in. faceplate. Up to 100 PSI.

And there is also a 300psi guage!

Ez-Flo

300 PSI Water Pressure Test Gauge

Model 45169

Price: $7.96/ea

Water pressure test gauge. Steel case, shatter resistant lens, 3/4 in. female hose thread brass hose connection with 2-1/2 in. faceplate. 0 to 300 PSI.

Guest bastaad525

been using that guage for a lonnnng time now with no problems... almost two years now! Wow... it doesn't even feel like I've had the car that long :D

Anyways, no problems with the gauge whatsoever.

When puting the turbo on my motor I used a round tire air pressure guage, unscrew the bottom, put a fuel line on with hose clamp, run that to a tee to just after the fuel filter. I taped the guage to the outside of my windshield. worked great, only had it on for about a week. You should of seen me at night with the flashlight!..........classic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crowbar
I found these parts at Home Depot and decided to give it a try.It worked great at first....nice steady needle readings but the second day its all shakey...the needle pulses rapidly between 25-30 psi..is this because it is a cheap guage????

Its a test guage. Normally just used intermittantly to check water pressure in home systems.

I doubt its rated for extended use in underhood environments. When left in the car, it will always read the pressure that the system stores.

I would be concerned that the diaphragm material is gasoline resistant. The fact that its bouncing means its either failing or your fuel pressure is fluctuating rapidly.

Dial type pressure gauges usually do not have a diaphragm. A pressure gauge is simple a piece of bent tube that is closed on one end. When pressure is applied inside, it attempts to straighten out (try it with your garden-hose). This motion is translated by pulling on the outer edge of a small gear set to turn the shaft that the needle is on. The tubing is usually metal and therefor fuel safe. You can always open up the gauge to check. They are usually held together with a couple of screws.

Sam

Guest bastaad525

I ran that guage for over two years with no issues. I had actually intended to remove it but never got around to it. Makes people think the car is more built up than it is when they see it :mrgreen:

But yeah... I know it was intended for water pressure, but again, NO issues with it after two years of being exposed to gasoline.