HybridZ

LS1 Motor Mount options

I believe that the O2 sensors on the LS1 are heated sensors. I know that having them in the collectors of long tube headers works fine as long as there is enough length on the pipe after the collector to keep air from getting anywhere near it.

Dale

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add to my last post, there are lots of folks over on LS1Tech.com making 425 to 475 RWHP using O2 sensors in the collectors, no cats, and O2 after cat delete via LS1edit. I enjoy LS1Tech.com and consider it the best tech site for LS1 stuff.

Dale

The headers are 1.75 primarys, Same as MAS280 and his friend John(still don't know his a.k.a.). My O2's will probably be mounted in the collectors or just below. Again no cats.

Fuel- using Johns pump,a G.M. filter with the pressure regulator built in due to my motor doesn't have a return line. Stock tank, was just boiled out and sealed a year ago.

Exhaust??? Not real sure. MAS280 is running dual exhaust, Borlas, I believe with a stock tank. Havent seen his beast yet. I was thinking going 2 into one with a 3.5 pipe to some kind of muffler????

What is LS1 edit?? Dynatec has my harness and ECU to convert and edit! Hopefully see it next week!!

As for the project.....Going to GOODGUYS Show sunday, but.... Next week I will install my posi unit, drive shaft, fuel pump and lines. and make a desision on cooling system.

Hey PHANTOM!!! Where did you mount your ECU? Had another question but forgot.

HEY MAS280!!! What kind of times did you pull at the Point??

HAVE A GREAT WEEK END!!!!!!!!!!!

JOEY

LS1Edit is a computer program for tuning and altering the LS1's PCM and is generaly used in conjunction with EFI Live, a monitoring program. Rather expensive. I bought the program last year for around 600.00 with a cable set up for one VIN. This is a very valuable tool for a modified LS1. You can adjust about everything. You can also screw up everything too! Go over to LS1tech.com and check out the tuning section for details on these type of programs. I have my cat over temp turned off, VATS turned off, spedo adjusted for my 3.73 gears, injector size scaled, idle speed adjusted, speed limiter set to 160, CAGS speed set up super low, fan on temp lowered, etc...

The headers are 1.75 primarys' date=' Same as MAS280 and his friend John(still don't know his a.k.a.). My O2's will probably be mounted in the collectors or just below. Again no cats.

Fuel- using Johns pump,a G.M. filter with the pressure regulator built in due to my motor doesn't have a return line. Stock tank, was just boiled out and sealed a year ago.

Exhaust??? Not real sure. MAS280 is running dual exhaust, Borlas, I believe with a stock tank. Havent seen his beast yet. I was thinking going 2 into one with a 3.5 pipe to some kind of muffler????

What is LS1 edit?? Dynatec has my harness and ECU to convert and edit! Hopefully see it next week!!

As for the project.....Going to GOODGUYS Show sunday, but.... Next week I will install my posi unit, drive shaft, fuel pump and lines. and make a desision on cooling system.

Hey PHANTOM!!! Where did you mount your ECU? Had another question but forgot.

HEY MAS280!!! What kind of times did you pull at the Point??

HAVE A GREAT WEEK END!!!!!!!!!!!

JOEY[/quote']

Hey Joey,

Hows the swap going? Any new updates? How much does Dynatec charge to convert the harness and edit the computer?

Phantom,

I just picked up a set of cooling fans for my swap from an SS camaro. They look like they will fit nicely as you said.

Mas280,

I never heard back from you on the trans. Did you get my PM?

Quik240z -

And the best part is that they plug right into the LS1 harness for control.

They do take care of a siginificant part of the huge hole that used to exist between the engine and the radiator mount. I actually stood in that space on mine once for some photos.

WOW.... Open door..............

To start headers. My test fit was close. Took MAS280 advise to shave part of the block off on drivers side and Sanderson took note from John's, due to the steering rod(still don't know his A.K.A.) and a nice tight fit. Passenger no problem, 700.00 plus 160.00 to coat. Only problem is that with John's kit, witch comes with an adapter for the nissan oil pressure sending unit to mount by the oil filter is right where the header dumps. Again no biggie. I will mount the sensor at the rear of the intake in place of the G.M. oil pressure sensor. I don't think the ECU reads oil presure. Being in Cali. John won't sell me his headers and I don't know where they dump. There also a smaller diamiter. I think 1.5 not 1.75.

ON COOLING FANS and radiators..... I picked up cooling fans off E-bay for a LS1. Thinking about going with JTR. They offer the G.M. rad and upper and lower supports. Whitch will work with the fans!!!!!!!!!!!

On Dynatec............. Haven't heard anything good about them except they do clean work and it takes a while. Me! going on 6 weeks!!! What bothers me, and any insite would be great. I thought the ECU programming is what is changed to work in OUR cars. Merv(Who i bought my motor from and paid Dynatec) said the ECU is oem. What is changed is the harness and a black box is added to fool the ECU. I don't know and I'm not sure :?

Gonna go to the NO-CAL on saturday for the show in Rio Vista. Hope to see ya there!!

JOEY

I've been looking at the pics on the third page and reading as the progress continues. Looks like a very good job and really like the motor mounts. I've been thinking about redesigning mine to move the motor left more so that my a/c doesnt hit. and give some more room for the exhaust. Keep posting pics

Good job!!

Brian

WOW.... Open door..............

To start headers. My test fit was close. Took MAS280 advise to shave part of the block off on drivers side and Sanderson took note from John's' date=' due to the steering rod(still don't know his A.K.A.) and a nice tight fit. Passenger no problem, 700.00 plus 160.00 to coat. Only problem is that with John's kit, witch comes with an adapter for the nissan oil pressure sending unit to mount by the oil filter is right where the header dumps. Again no biggie. I will mount the sensor at the rear of the intake in place of the G.M. oil pressure sensor. I don't think the ECU reads oil presure. Being in Cali. John won't sell me his headers and I don't know where they dump. There also a smaller diamiter. I think 1.5 not 1.75.

ON COOLING FANS and radiators..... I picked up cooling fans off E-bay for a LS1. Thinking about going with JTR. They offer the G.M. rad and upper and lower supports. Whitch will work with the fans!!!!!!!!!!!

On Dynatec............. Haven't heard anything good about them except they do clean work and it takes a while. Me! going on 6 weeks!!! What bothers me, and any insite would be great. I thought the ECU programming is what is changed to work in OUR cars. Merv(Who i bought my motor from and paid Dynatec) said the ECU is oem. What is changed is the harness and a black box is added to fool the ECU. I don't know and I'm not sure :?

Gonna go to the NO-CAL on saturday for the show in Rio Vista. Hope to see ya there!!

JOEY[/quote']

Hey there Joey,my board name is (khashabi1) just to let ya know.I'm glad to see your LS1 conversion coming together so fast.Just in time for summer. :D .I should be getting my 240 back from Roger Kraus racing hopefully by Wed or Thru.There doing a complete alignment, flushing and bleeding my braking system and installing my proportioning valve.I bought the Arizona Z Willwood kit with 12 1/2 inch rotors.When I pick it up,it's going straight to Mel & Sons Muffler shop in Concord,I sure you know the place.I have Tony do all my work.He did Mas280's (Mike) exaust and he has done my cousin (Darius's) exhaust a couple different times and does killer work.Pretty soon it will be you,mas280 and me with the only LS1 Z conversions in the whole SF bay area so were going to have to go out and crush a few Mustangs and Honda's,ext.I'm helping Darius get his 240 back together here real soon so he will be out there soon.He's got the 96 LT1 in his but very built W/charger.I think he mentioned in the ranger of 600 to 725 HP.He is debating if he wants to get heads or not.When we get his car going he wants to get some Z footage for his 3rd video (Servin it up 3).Were going to all have to get together to to get some footage this summer,Talk soon

I can't believe I just typed a whole page, hit submit, gets lost and ask's me to log in again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways not much of an update, Been going to car shows last two weekends. Gonna try to work on z after work.

Sanderson is almost done with my headers!! Dynatec is lagging big time!!! Been told my ecu is bad, Another one should be coming.

Big news is Mike Knell is coming by the shop today to check out my Z!!!

I'll let you guys know his input and opinion of John's Kit!!!!! Word gets around!!

QUESTION to all. Can you guys give me the names of some web sites that I can post pictures for all to see!!!!!!

THANKS

JOEY

Joey -

I've had the same problem. After you log back in use the "Back" arrow until you bet back to your posting and then hit the "submit" button again. It will submit your post and you won't have to do it over again.

Good news on your progress. Keep up the postings!

I've had the same problem too. I have learned to copy the post before I hit submit just in case. I got tired of retyping.

As for websites where you can post pics, you can set up a free one at:

http://www.cardomain.com

Also: http://www.classiczcars.com

Both sites will allow you to post pics and a description of your car.

Keep us posted on the swap!

Haven't much for updates with easter and car shows. Been collecting some parts and gonna work on the car this weekend :D . Got a camaro shifter off ebay. I'm thinking 30.00. I also picked up a radiator and supports from JTR. They look real nice. The radiator is plastic-aluminum and the supports bolt right in. The camaro LS1 fans are a little big and will require some cutting. The rad and supports ran 230.00.

The cool thing was they were hand delivered by Mike Knell himself. Him like alot of other people wanted to see the car a snap off a butt load of pictures!! For those of you that don't know, Mike Knell is JTR and the man that wrote the bibles or conversion manuals we live by!! Good thing the shop was a little slow and I was able to spend a couple of hours with him talking about Z's, conversions, business and the LS1. He was too impressed with John's kit and said pretty much the same thing MAS280 said when he first saw the car. "Thats how he did it." Not so sure he will make mounts for a LS1. His point being, The LS1 only came out for a few years and not every Camaro and Firebird had one(alot of 6 cylinders). Soo he doesn't see a market. I believe he is thinking or working on putting a LS1 in a 280zx. The mounting totally different than JOHN'S. What was really cool is the freebees he dropped off!!! He gave me the latest editions of the F.I. and conversion books also a cold air intake set up and coolant adapters I might need. In return he wants more pictures of the car when I'm done showing me using JTR parts. I didnt even know he sold the cold air set up!! Right on!!!!!

Dynatec SUCKS :( !!! Still no harness!!!!

Hey MAS280 Where did you get your underdrive crank pully-balancer, What brand and how much!!! Also with my ECU being no good, I picket one up on ebay with the LS1 EDIT program. Question???? The ecu that is coming with the program is the only one in there. Sooooo does that mean we can add yours and John's like we talked about???? Last but not least I hope you didn't mind I gave Mike Knell your number cause he has questions about your swap.

HAVE A GREAT DAY

JOEY

Joey,

Pretty cool that Mike Knell would deliver the stuff himself just to see your car. That's great. I don't understand why he wouldn't be interested in building a kit for the Z but he would for a ZX? That doesn't seem right but I guess since the ZX is newer and the original Z's are getting scarce he might have more of a market. Sorry to hear that Dynatec is not good. Did you have any luck setting up a site to post the pics? I would love to see the transmission mount and see how the exhaust will clear and know more about the fuel system.

More Pics, More Pics!

Thanks,

I got a chance to look at Joey's LS1 install last friday. The install looks real nice. :D Thank's Joey for taking the time to show me your car. I know you were busy. The good news is it looks like there will be yet another LS1 Z in the bay area. I'll be ordering John's mounts for my 260z in a couple of weeks :-D Tom