HybridZ

Here are my specs - please help me choose a Turbo - UPDATED

sims76

I know this gets asked all the time, please don't flame me. I have never driven a turbo Z, so I am having trouble relating the technical specs of a turbo to how it actually feels and weather or not I will be happy with it. I have been collecting turbo conversion parts for the past 6 months in anticipation of doing the job in the Spring. Please assume everything is stock unless otherwise noted below. I also have all the parts in hand unless otherwise noted.

My question to all of you:

What is a reasonable HP goal for this setup? If this was your vehicle, what would you choose? Please suggest a turbo for me........

I feel that 300 RWHP is reasonable and I would like to size a turbo that meets that goal and that will work well with the rest of my setup.

Here is what I have:

Body: 1976 280Z 2+2 (weight 2850 lbs without me in it)

Motor: Stock turbo motor with P90A head (stock Turbo Nissan Headgasket)

Fuel Control: Megasquirt (I put 8000+ miles normally aspirated on the MS and I'm comfortable tuning it)

Intercooler: Medium NPR (Like Jersey's new one)

Intercooler Pipe Size: ?????? Suggestion ??????

Fuel Delivery: MKIII Supra O-ring Injectors @ 420CC/MIN

Fuel Rail: Pallnet O-ring rail (still need to order from Pallnet)

Fuel Pump: Ford Powerstroke Bosch Pump (it's the big Bosch style)

Ignition: MSD 6A

Ignition Control: Either MSD Boost Master or MSnS (preferred)

Rear End: 3.90 gear ratio (can swap my 3.54 back if I'm unhappy)

Downpipe: Two 90 degree 2.5" mandrel bends

Exhaust: 3"

Oil Cooler: Nope

Thanks in advance,

Sims

Standard issue t3/t4e hybrid will work. Go with a stage 3 turbine in a .63 AR housing, run a 50 or 60 trim TO4E compressor wheel in a 50 or 60 AR compressor housing.

50 AR compressor housing may fit better. If you want to get froggy, you can use a 60-1 compressor wheel, and upgrade to a Stage 5 turbine, use the same housings.

The stage 3 will spool well, the stage 5 will be a little slower, but smoother in response.

Thanks Lockjaw,

To give an example of what you just said, I believe this one would do the trick:

http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gart3to460tr.html

Also, I spoke with Alex Costa a.k.a. "Zcarsmakemyheadhurt" the other night (very nice guy) and he also suggested a similar setup.

It also appears that "240Z Turbo" can supply this brand new with internal wastegate for $660.

http://www.speedshopthagard.com/

and so it begins, the transformation to the dark side, muahahaha....

You just can't stand having that 250Kpa MAP in there, and and not using but half it's capabilities---that's the root of all this, isn't it Sims! :D

Good Luck on the turbine, I am going with one as suggested like this whenever the stock unit (and it's spare) craps out on my 74 260Z 2+2 Turbo MS-n-S vehicle.

The Black 240Coupe I have will get the last-spec turbo before JeffP did his final upgrade.

The Bonneville car, will have something altogether different, and I doubt it will be very streetable, muahahaha!

Guest 81na ZX

T04BH3.JPG

A T04D H-3 from turbonetics would be perfect for upto ~17psi. The red lines are for a 2.8L, 12psi @ 6000RPMs. If you notice, its dead in the middle of the efficency range. Perfect sized.

I ran an H3, and I liked it, but the E wheels are more efficient, and would be a better choice. The H3 is old technology. Also I found the H did not run well until I was making 12+ psi, the 60 trim I have now runs a lot better with lower boost, and really comes alive as the boost gets up there.

Also, don't buy one from turbonetics, you can always flame James friend if he does you wrong, and make an impact, not so with turbonetics. :lol:

Thanks for all the input. I will let you all know which way I go, and how it works out. I will be starting the install in a few weeks. It should go smoothly.

I got my NPR last night, it is nice looking. My only comment is that the tubes are very small compared to the spearco I just saw. IMO, it's overkill on the surface area. But, for $225 almost new, the price is right and it will allow me to get my feet more than wet.

Tony D: Yes, you are right. Having a capable fuel and ignition system has given me a "why not" attitude toward turbo charging. Two years ago, I said that I was happy with my current power level and I would never go turbo. Another comment about Megasquirt. I just finished helping a friend install an 8psi turbo kit on his Honda S2000 (11:1 comp ratio!) We did some tuning with a standalone EMS unit ($1200). Guess what? Other than more detail (and I'll argue that it's not needed for MOST applications) it looked and acted just like Megasquirt.

Take care,

Sims

Just point out a thing, the effeciency of the compressor wheels are effected by the compressor housing and its size. E wheels are not as effecient in To4B housing as it's smaller. it narrows the effeciency. GT wheels are mapped with crazy big housing like .70 To4S and things that's one of the reason it's so efficient.

H-3 likes alot of boost I was told, 60-1 doesn't mind low boost/high airflow but not high boost on pump gas which I think Zcar really likes. I hear good things about 50 trim too.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I went with for the turbo. Thanks for all of your input. :D

I bought it from James http://www.speedshopthagard.com/

Garrett T3/TO4E Turbocharger

Internal Wastegate w/5-bolt Flange

Downpipe Flange

Spacer

270deg Thrust Bearing

TURBINE SPECIFICATIONS: T3

.63 A/R Housing

Stage III Turbine Wheel

COMPRESSOR SPECIFICATIONS: TO4E

.60 A/R Housing With 3 Inch Inlet

50 Trim TO4E Compressor Wheel

Sims, that's just about what i configured and just installed in my cousins '78 280. Only thing different is it's a 3 bolt flange and a 360deg bearing. I'm not sure if you mentioned but it's oil/water center section also. Is he porting the wastegate flapper a little bigger for you? If not, try to get that done. The one we just did was opened up to around 1.25" and i think it still has a hard time exhausting during 15psi runs. Sounds like a nice setup. The 50trim seems to spool up real nice, breaking the wheels loose in 3rd, but we still need to do some fine tuning to get the most performance out of it i think. Good luck!

Thanks guys,

I'm glad you approve.

I'm pretty sure that the "5 bolt flange" is misleading because it acually exits to a round 3 bolt flange just like the picture that Jersey has is his profile.

I will call James tomorrow about porting the wastegate flapper.

Jersey,

Since my pending setup is so similar to yours, and since I'm somewhat close to you (Philadelphia)... Would you mind if I stopped by sometime to check out your setup? I have never had a ride in a turbo Z. Hint, hint, hint...

-Sims

Anytime your going to be in the area, give a shout to see if i'm around, you're more then welcome to stop by. I'll have to rope my cousin to come up to give you a ride in his 280 though since he's running the hybrid like yours. Me, i'm still putting around with my little stock T3 :D I am lighter though :twisted: