HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

they call it the 1.5jzgtte becuz it is halfway between a 1JZ and 2JZ, cuz half of it is 1J and the other is 2J. 2JZ half is the block and the 1JZ half is the head.

Ya, although I'm honestly not sure how much sense this makes unless you have a 1JZ that's gone bad. Finding turbo manifolds for the 1JZ head is likely to be harder than for the 2JZ series motors. If you stick with the twin parallel OEM turbos you have a set of turbos that cannot boost too high (ceramic) and that need some work to even flow to their best potential (Y pipe). It would probably be cheaper to turbo a 2JZGT motor which are generally cheap(er) to find. You get a distributor but even that can be worked around if you really wanted to dump it.

I have to chime in since I have a good buddy with an 800 horsepower 98 supra.

#1. He does not run race gas all the time.

#2. If he can afford a 800 horsepower car, he can afford to run race gas whenever he wants (we frequently cruise around in race gas for the fun of it)

#3. He only has 600 horsepower on tap without race gas

#4. It may not have the initial torque of a v8, but if you have ever seen a single turbo 2jz dynograph, torque is very quickly built.

#5. Racing crotch rockets and beating the snot out of them in a 3300lb car is fun

#6. He has dozens of dyno runs at 800 horsepower, a dozen or so strip runs, and a few hundred hard street runs...and the only thing that broke was a vacuum hose.

#7. His motor is still stock inside....he just bought some cams though, hello 8,000+ redline.

P.S. 2JZGTE and GT shortblocks are the SAME. If you can get a GT motor you can make just as much power but the manifolds are a little scarce for the turbo side. Lookup DaveH on Supraforums for an example of a fast GT motored Supra :o

But the pistons are different yes (not the materials, but the compression) ?? Would make the world of difference when tuning for big HP.

But the pistons are different yes (not the materials, but the compression) ?? Would make the world of difference when tuning for big HP.

Not really, another buddy of mine used to have a 2jz powered toyota truck, I know he sold his setup to another hybridz owner.

He ran the NA block/pistons, and I think he was still tuned at 600 horsepower.

Tyson, if your buddy was Dave G, he ran the GE block (no oil squirters, less windage supposedly), but GTE internals and made 695 rwhp. I have his motor...

Yep, thats Dave...AKA SuperT to the Minnesota guys.

I coulda sworn he was using NA pistons? Maybe that was on his other motor (injector went bad and he lost a hole during the burnout, still ran a 10 something on 5 cyl)

Here's your motor in action....Note, the smoke is the tires, you can somewhat see the black streaks in this video, in hi-res its clear as day. I think this was the 2nd to last pass the motor ever did...As soon as he got home from the track he started dismantling the truck =(

That truck could have easily gone 9s...too bad his 3rd gear was thrashed making it difficult to shift into...If he still was using the glide 9s would have been a breeze.

http://www.mwwb.com/stuff/supert.wmv

Windows media format, aprox 1.2 megs

P.S. This video is proof to not go to Rock Falls raceway in Wisconsin....They only put down VHT on the starting line, after that its just you and the cold pavement.

Chated a bit with the guys I know running NA-T cars. The compression on the GTE is 8.5:1, that head on a NA block makes for a 9:1 ratio. Some of this is eyebrow cutouts in the piston. Easy way to get it back is two headgaskets stacked (the guy I spoke to ran this for 7 years) and you get 8.5:1 but lose a little squish. The GE motor doesn't have a crank trigger as that signal comes from the distributor - funny enough it has the same trigger pattern as the GTE and can be interchanged with say an AEM EMS (what I run).

"NA pistons only account for about 4cc of the total combustion chamber

volume mainly due to the valve cutouts. TT pistons account for 13cc -

most of which is designed dish."

DaveH on Supraforums runs this combo on a stock shortblock to some pretty sick times - single digits I think - but is building his motor. He has a glide in it and 3.77 gears. He says it's pretty bad on the highway but around town it's not bad with the high stall overcoming the tall 1st gear. I've driven a 2JZ with a TH400 full manual trans and high stall, it's pretty weird but wen you stomp it the thing is SCARY fast.

Anyway, the GE motor is probably a pretty good choice but I'd couple it with a GTE head to make turbo manifolds easier to get although DaveH might disagree. Flow of the head is apparently not too bad in either case.

Hope that helps some ;)

Hey Guys I am very new to the 2jz-gte thing but had a question for you guys.

My Mother just sold me her 1997 Lexus SC300 with an auto matic in it. The car is very Cherry. Always garaged and has 31K original miles. Is this the same motor as the Supra's and if so how easy are the mods.

The only thing I can go by is the Motor has stamped on it 2JZ-GTE. I think it is rated at 230 hp? Anyway any ideas would be appreciated as I am really just a sbc person.

Thanks

Mike

Well the 2JZ-GTE is pretty much a race motor from the factory. 700 wheel horsepower on stock internals is almost as common as a Civic with a fartpipe on it.

Aftermarket parts are SPENDY though, I dont even want to know what my friend's single turbo conversion cost him.

Yep, from what I understand, he blew a piston, rebuilt the motor w/ GTE internals, after a little dyno time and a few drag passes, he sold it to me. I ran a leak down test when it arrived, and all was good. I hope to be driving it by mid-end February. Just incase you missed my thread (hidden in the turbo forum), here's my progress thus far...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98387

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey Cyrus, sorry to hear about the nagging problem... You may want to try posting on the SupraForums.com board in the MKIV technical section. Since you are using the stock electronics, someone there may be able to better assist you.

G-luck,

mike

I didn't read all of the post but have you checked compression? I know the N/A's have higher compression, but also a different head. Could have an N/A block? I've seen alot of talk about people (MKIV guys) knowing there exact timing, and timing being pulled. I assume they are using an OBD scanner.