HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

Guest bastaad525
I took passengers for a ride and they were not scared out of their mind so something is amiss.

ROFL my favorite, the "Does it scare the person in the passenger seat" test, otherwise known as a poor mans G-Tech. The louder they scream, the more power you've got. Unfortunately, these 'units' are very inconsistent from one to the next... some are much less sensitive than others, so comparisons from one to another become useless. If you can stick with the same unit you can get good consistent readings as you make adjustments, of how much power you gain or lose though :D My wife makes the perfect G-tech :shock::D

Ok, so I puruse the forums and take a look at your progress - great work! I do have a question for you.

On your intake - how did you do that initial aluminum/steel tube bend? )the one that goes around the strut housing? I have some similar problems with the RB26. Of course I have to combine two intakes into one, but similar issues.

And the way you excecuted the intercooler gave me a great idea on some things as I was set to the mindset of having the pipes at the top and the intake below - this gives me some more options.

Like I said, it looks great - I have the same fuel cell, and would like to see how you hooked it up, specifically the filler hose/bend.

-Bob Hanvey

Yep,

Just got back. Bad pics, bad video but 305 RWHP! I hope to post the graph soon. It looks like a two hump camel because of the sequential turbos. >250 ft lbs from 2800 rpm on. The boost flucuated between 7.5 and 11 as the curve rose. With the boost controller I can run about 17 PSI safely~~

the mod so far:

specs

2550 lbs car. (wet)

1994 US 2JZ-GTE TT with 6 speed 82K

fully exhaust with quiet muffler (stock muffler 3 inch piping).

huge intercooler

Open element air filter (cold)

Walbro

fuel relay mod

everything else stock

I changed the plugs like Matt suggested. The car dramatically improved, not more surging and missing.

Hopefully, I can got to sacramento now.

I put my LS1 Dyno on top of my new 2jz-gte dyno sheet and traced out the curves with a sharpie. It is an interesting comparision. Though the power is not much different the delivery is. I emailed it to marcos to post but I am not sure he got it to post.

THanks!

I know the dyno graph is messy but the two top lines are torque and the bottoms are HP. Look how much more lower end torque the LS1 generates. The cars have similar power but the LS1's power delivery is so much better, not even counting the turbo lag. But wait I will turn the boost up and Crush the LS1's power!

Cyrus, looks like you could just make some mounts for the Toyota diff and then adapt the toyota axle to the Datsun companion flange. You may not need to use all of the toyota suspension.

Right now my Ls1 is making 405rwhp and 432RWtq---Turn you boost up to 20psi and then it will be fun.

Good luck at the track my guess is 12.7-13.1 @112-114mph

Mike

Guest bastaad525
Yep' date='

Just got back. Bad pics, bad video but 305 RWHP! I hope to post the graph soon. It looks like a two hump camel because of the sequential turbos. >250 ft lbs from 2800 rpm on. The boost flucuated between 7.5 and 11 as the curve rose. With the boost controller I can run about 17 PSI safely~~

the mod so far:

specs

2550 lbs car. (wet)

1994 US 2JZ-GTE TT with 6 speed 82K

fully exhaust with quiet muffler (stock muffler 3 inch piping).

huge intercooler

Open element air filter (cold)

Walbro

fuel relay mod

everything else stock

I changed the plugs like Matt suggested. The car dramatically improved, not more surging and missing.

Hopefully, I can got to sacramento now.[/quote']

Told ya you weren't 120hp down on power :) Even my estimate of 255hp to the wheels was way low. Glad to hear it's running good though, so did you figure out what the bog was that you were feeling on the top end? Did you do any tuning or was it just baseline pulls?

How do you figure I was not down on power? I ran 98mph (which works out to 205RWHP) now that changed the plugs I figure I should run 112mph(305RWHP). I have to test it tomorrow to know for sure, my intercooler effectiveness is still unknow. I keep you posted.

Guest bastaad525
How do you figure I was not down on power? I ran 98mph (which works out to 205RWHP) now that changed the plugs I figure I should run 112mph(305RWHP). I have to test it tomorrow to know for sure, my intercooler effectiveness is still unknow. I keep you posted.

I dunno I'm all confused now... I thought you kept running faster and faster trap speeds that same night and ended up running 106 by the time you left? So I'm mixed up anyways I'm happy to see you put so much power to the wheels... maybe there are some variables on your setup I am unaware of? You are running stock everything except a different I/C right? Or did you turn up the boost? 305hp to the wheels is sweet considering the motor was originally rated for 320hp at the flywheel.

Guest cs14silvia

torque matters

power means rate of torque produced, the amount of torque produced is the main factor moving your car. (F=M x a, torque= force x radius, Power= Torque x angular velocity )

your LS1 got 71 lb-ft more torque. which means more force moving the vehicle forward. at lower end i believe it should be more scary to your supra powered z. how about change the turbo to GT2538 or GT35 series and get an apexi power FC and properly tune it. you ll get alota more torque for GT35 series turbos. its going to be fun 2 see how far you'd take this.

to improve the efficiency of the engine, try something like MSD with split fire plugs ( 3 to 5 tips)

try to custom make an exhaust system that can create vortex swirling motion (acceleration for exhaust gas) the less bends on the pipe will be more desirable ( less pressure loss) custom make your extractor ( turbular style) will get you to 400 to 500bhp with proper setup.

hopefully u dont get overheat, your radiator seem to be completely blocked by the intercooler.

good work

keep it up

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Since I have put a few hundred miles on the Z I thought I would tell you about how it drives. I have to say that the car feels very sluggish next to the LS1 Z. I think I would need 75 more HP in a turbo car to feel like a V8. The car has smooth power. With a V8 it only matters where the pedal is, the RPM's do not seems to affect the torque greatly. The 2jz-gte is such a small engine, off boost it is soggy, it requires the boost to be up AND at least midlevel RPM's to go. Another note the flywheels on both of these engines are too heavy for a Z. Missaligning the RPM's is a serious deal. I need the lightened fly wheel...

Hey Z ya nice to meet ya! I was rushed when I meet you hope I was not rude.

Well I ran sac last night the car ran

13.5@106.5 consistantly since the MPH is slow than a stock supra I am upset. The car is dyno at 305 so that should run 12.2 @115. I do not know how the car can make the power when it is on the dyno but not when it is running...