HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

Cyrus when I made 320rwhp with the LT1 it was only good for 114 at Sac. You are making 305rwhp but the torque is not as good as a v8. You need the torque to get you down the track not the HP. I made the mistake of putting in a larger cam that gave me more hp but less Torque and I loss 1/2 sec in the 1/4 and 7mph .

mike

Cyrus, Naw you were not rude..it was nice meeting you as well. I agree with mas280...looks like the lowend torque is killin ya. What kind of 60 foot times are you pulling with both combo's?? Looks like its time for some 235/60/15's BFG dr's so you can leave the line with a little more rpm and boost.

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody, I have not abandon the board but I have been working on a timing issue on my car for a very long time now. I still do not have all the bugs worked out but I will run sacramento this weekend if the weather is good. Since my last run I have

new fuel pressure reg

new TPS

new fuel filter

Bypassed the pulasation dampner

change the ECU(stock)

Mobile 1 in crankcase

v160 in tranmission

new timing belt

fixed pan leak

Hey, maybe i'll to the track to check the car out. I'm out near richmond (near oakland).

I'll try not to be rude, please take this is my pure curiosity. How high are to taking the rpms off the line? I've heard to really drive supras you have to rev them way up off the line so that once they grip your in boost. As apposed to getting grip soon and bogging down to 2-3k rpm.

Also, i highly recomend doing this REALLY easy resistor mod to make those sequencials turn on at the same time. You'll have like only 2 more HP but supra people report a good 10th off thier time. I wish i had the link to the article but i recentlly formatted my computer. I'll get my buddy to come out with me, he knows a bit about the mod.

ALSO!!! I'll bet that 80% of sub 12 supras are automatics. You'll see it time and time again on supra boards "i can't get my supra into the 11's" I've seen guys with over 550 rwhp that can't hit 11's. The autos in those cars are amazing. I've seen those autos run 9's.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Still man, mid to low 13s for your second time out is still good. It's just like any other car. You have to learn how it wants to be raced. I can't imagine going out first time in a car and running 12s.

Anyhoo, i'll stop typing now. What color is the Z? So that i can reconize it when i get to the track. (Ii'm gonna go look for pics i'm sure you've posted of the swap.)

Well after a few months of pain and misery I have found out what my engine problem was, to put it simlply I thought the timing was off and did everything meaning way over a grand in repairs to try and fix it. It turns out that the timing wire needs a special primary timing gun and not a normal secondary signal gun. So there never really was a problem................................................................................................................................................................. DOH!

Now as far as the car being slow that is because this engine detonates like crazy on 91 octane with stock boost. After I upped the octane the car held 20 degrees more timing.................Doh!

I think It will run about 13@110 now. I hope to be at sac this weekend. I also want to can the thermostate to lessen the detonation.

Something doesn't sound right if you are detonating on pump gas with stock boost, even after fixing any timing issues. I wouldn't call adding more octane a fix.

With my MKIII supra I had to jumper some pins while timing the car so that the computer wouldn't try to self correct the timing. They were the same pins for getting the engine error codes.

Just curious what are some of the things you bought to spend that much in trying to fix this? Did anything make any differneces you think? Sorry if you have already posted this info, but what was the condition of the car this engine came out of? Do you know if it ran well before taking the engine out?

If I understood you right still sounds like you have some sort of issues, probably not safe to turn up the boost until they are figured out.

SACRAMENTO RACEWAY REPORT!

I meet Mas280 (mike) at the drags unfortunate I was so busy/distracted that I did not talk much. He was running about 123 trap speeds in the RX-7 with the LS1. Mike you the man for now, I hope to have my 240 faster than you soon.

All trip at stock boost ~11psi

So for you that remember my first trip to the drags netted runs about 13.9@102 mph the car was erractic.

I closed the spark plug gap on my second trip to the drags netted runs about 13.5@106.5 consitantly.

Now this trip I ran toluence 6:1 so

(6gallons of gas x 91octane)+(1 gallon of tolunene x 114 octane)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- = 94.3 octane

7 gallons total

This eliminated knocking (i think), so the car ran about 13.2@109 so I then reset the ECU (fuse pulled) and took the car out again. The car then ran 12.9@112.7mph.

I also noted that my voltage is fluctuted on my car so that be worth a little more power.

So now I feel I have a decent base line to start modifing the car from. I will start with turing the boost up to 17 psi and installing a blow off valve.

See ya!

Hey there Cyrus...Khashabi1 here.What's goin on with the Z?.....Have you considered going back to the LS1 to go faster?Before you sold me the blue Z,you were running 12.00 @ 119mph with pizza cutters and blown shocks.The motor was totaly stock....not even exaust or cold air.I stripped the blue Z of the motor & tranny if your iterested in buying it back to drop in a V8.The LS1 motor mounts will be available in a couple weeks.I put a full cage in it and full suspention.I even dyna matted the car.You just need a motor & tranny.

• 1 month later...
i've heard of that, my supra buddy is thinkin of doin this swap into his MK3, its called a 1.5JTGTTE

cant see why its called that.

1JZ is a 2.5 and the 2JZ is a 3.0..

i really wouldnt car if it was just a 1JZ motor as i love them dearly.

plus i can get a complete motor for 400 bucks :D

mike

yeah my mate has a 1JZ on his floor, hell put it in one day im sure. Im still chasing a good priced 2JZ GE, found one for 600 AU with a 5spd. Its mighty tempting, but im going to europe for 2 months and i have to save for it.

Great NA motor, and crazy awsome Turbo motor.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had this thread sent to me. Haven't been on the board awhile as my SBC 240Z has been sort of slumbering while I've played with a MKIV Supra. :D Some of the info here about Supras is umm a bit "off". Anyway, the gearing may be why this car is coming up so slow in the 1/4. Supras have fairly tall gearing stock - all years had the same gearing BTW. The difference is auto vs 6spd. ;)

Anyway, ever since I got my Supra I've been thinking that this would be one damned nice swap! My car makes over 620RWHP on pump gas spooling at 4200RPMs. I could go to a smaller turbo (and may) to get even faster spool and likely make the same power. Honestly, if I were going to all the trouble to swap a 2JZGTE into a Supra I'd absolutely go single. Kits to do this can be had somewhat cheap now and there are even some somewhat decent cast manifolds that work well (including a conversion of the stock twin manifold). Stock twins just run out of air too quickly - some tuning will fix that humped dyno curve BTW. All in all a very cool project - I'd love to duplicate it! If I could get enough money for my SBC I'd do it :D

Oh, putting down 600RWHP on the street with DRs is no problem. RLTC takes care of business and if I wanted I could also use the trac control built into my EMS.

P.S. 2JZGTE and GT shortblocks are the SAME. If you can get a GT motor you can make just as much power but the manifolds are a little scarce for the turbo side. Lookup DaveH on Supraforums for an example of a fast GT motored Supra :o