HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE swap into 240Z (pics)

cyrus

Went to michaels muffler he turned me away saying it was too hard. Speed mechant estimate 7 to 8 hundred. And babe and lightning is doing it for 275!!! sweet!!! I am going to sacramento tomorrow to race if I can get a hood latch, catch can, and battery hold down tonight. Anyone else racing tommorow? Also it does not feel that powerful stock I am guessing 12.9@109.

I have returned from Sacramento. And I ran a.....................................................

14.4@98mph...

I was not to happy. I then ran a 100mph pass, then a 103, the a 106.5. And I was not doing anything signicantly different. The car was weak and surging at the top end. I saw a supra there with the minor mods busting out 12.3@116 (3400 lbs). I also weighed my car. My LS1 240z wieghed 2350 lbs with the same mods this car weigh 2550 lbs. So the 6 cylinder weighs 200 pounds more than the V8. Anyways I will change the old nasty plugs, etc. The car should be at 114mph.

Fight on!

Hey cyrus,

Have you raced much? at the track that is. I did alot of street racing back in the day and racing at the track i found to be alot different then the street :shock:

Anyways my first trip to the track yeilded alot of mid 12s in teh low 100s. with some practice launching and no other mods i eventually ran a 11.138 at 120mph. i dynoed shortly after this and i was sitting at 350RWHP on stock booste and maxed injectors. changed injectors and turned booste up a little,tuned on the dyno yeilded 392RWHP, slower ETs but higher 127+ traps. i was slower due to breaking crap and having to baby it off the line.

Are you still running the r-200? if so beware. Do not launch hard with sticky drag radials at 20 PSI or lower. tire spin is nice :roll: it prevents breakage. At any rate i predict you will be dancing around the low 11s soon.

Good luck

BTW did you get video of the maden voyage? keep us posted.

BTW all you rbswapper wannabes :D This is the way to go if your in the US. I think its a tad cheaper and parts availabilty is ALOT better!!!!! not to mention its a 3 liter stock and a turbo upgrade will make this car scream!~!!!!

Guest bastaad525

why do you say the power is down 120hp??

Stock 2jz has like 325hp at the crank right? You're estimating it's losing 120hp? that would put it close to 200hp at the crank, or about 170hp at the wheels. You said your initial run was 14.4 @ 98, but that your traps kept getting faster... you never did mention what your final ET was though. If you're running 106.5mph in the traps you're putting down more than 170hp to the wheels though! Just guessing your car weighs about 2700lbs with you in it. 106.5mph with 2700lbs means you're putting down about 255hp to the wheels. Factor in 15% drivetrain loss, and assuming you were driving it pretty much 100% perfect, that would put you at just about 20hp less than a stock 2jz. 20hp or roughly .2 second, that could easily just be you getting used to the car... I'd say your traps indicate power is right on the mark....

Ok here is my thinking.

all with driver

stock supra (320 hp,3600lbs) 106.6mph

my old z (400 hp, 2550 lbs) 119 mph

so

240z (320 hp, 2750 lbs) = supra -850 lbs or ~115 mph

I compression checked the car it is fine. I changed the plugs and the car runs amazingly better. No more missfire under high boost.

ps notice how the supra is underated...

Your old Z has 332 HP.....I went t the Dyno recently before I did a few mods.You cant realy compare the both of them.They are totaly different motors.I hope you can squeeze a little more power from that motor.

Ok here is my thinking.

all with driver

stock supra (320 hp' date='3600lbs) 106.6mph

my old z (400 hp, 2550 lbs) 119 mph

so

240z (320 hp, 2750 lbs) = supra -850 lbs or ~115 mph

I compression checked the car it is fine. I changed the plugs and the car runs amazingly better. No more missfire under high boost.

ps notice how the supra is underated...[/quote']

Yeh,your right about that.....but what realy counts is what your puttin down to the wheels.Crank HP doesnt realy count unless your driven a dyno with wheels :lol: .........Like the Z06 Vetts.The say right on the side of the fender(405HP).....That's at the crank not the wheels.At the wheels it's more like 350HP.

The old 240Z LS1 is

332 RWHP * 20percent drivetrain loss = 400 engine hp

Guest bastaad525

a bone stock supra TT runs 106mph trap speed? I thought they ran more around 102 or 103? *shrug* anyways, it wasn't my math, I just used the calculator at this page:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/4601/hpcalc.html

Plugged in 2700lbs (cars weight with you in it) and 106.5mph trap speed and got 255rwhp, or about 300hp at the flywheel. If I plug in 3600lbs for the supra TT with driver, the calc says it would take 339rwhp (like 400 flywheel hp) to get that same trap speed! Hell even if I plug in 101 I get way more hp at the wheels than a stock TT is rated for... you SURE that supra weighed 3600 with driver? I know they are heavy but....

Ah well... maybe the calculator is not as accurate as I'd like :-P But I can say from comparison, you're still definately not coming 120hp short of stock. Again, 120hp short would mean like 170hp to the wheels... My old N/A motor made exactly that in my 240, and didn't get anywhere near 106mph trap speed when I ran it, more like 95mph. Even my turbo now, with 210hp to the wheels, at best might run 101mph, at least, that is what I've seen run by comparable setups.

So the plugs helped, but the engine seems off. I took passengers for a ride and they were not scared out of their mind so something is amiss. I will be going to dyno spot in san jose soon (within 7 days) to see what the power is and may be tune it.

I wonder if my pipes are leaking boost? Who beads aluminum tubing in SJ?