HybridZ

Truck bedliner as underbody rust-protector?

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

My dad in his unending quest to take the quick and easy way out of fixing my car has come up with another idea that I figured I'd run by you guys to see what you think. The floorboard holes count is now up to 4 3-inch holes, hopefully I'll be getting pictures this weekend. My dad's idea is to patch these holes and then get somebody like RhinoGuard to spray a bedliner on the underside of the car to keep water out/stop rusting. While the idea seems good in theory, I don't think that the spray-on bedliners are suited for underbody use. There is also the question of how accurate they can be with the spray, and if they would damage driveline components with overspray. Does anybody have any experience with spray-on bedliners, and what are the chances that this would actually work? Thanks for any hints/advice.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Dont see why it wouldnt work...although that stuff isnt exactly the lightest stuff around...Id imagine doing the entire underside would be quite a weight addition.

You would still want to use some kind of rust neutraliser first, or rust 'converting' coating like POR, or Hammerite. I don't think that the bed liner has any kind of rust prevention properties, so unless your car is COMPLETELY rust free now, then I don't think it's the magic bullet.

Guest comeandzpa
so unless your car is COMPLETELY rust free now, then I don't think it's the magic bullet.

rust free...RUST FREE!!! :lol::lol::lol: riiiiiiiight, I wish! Here's a glimpse at my spare tire compartment:

414639_4_full.jpg

You really must buy some por 45 I think its called if you want a cheap out.

I had rust that bad, I sand blasted it and painted it with urathane primer.

Thats the right way, but people talk good about the por product.

I went and bought a gallon of the truck bed liner and did the bottom of my car and the wheel wells. Im very happy, it had been sitting for 2 years and is holding up good, you may also wish to take some tin snips and cut the rust out, that rivet a new piece in than cover with Por or truck bed liner... lots of ways to do it cheap,no one will know, it will be under the carpet. :shock:

Lots of cool glues and caulk out there too!

Yeah definately do something about the rust first, and make sure everything is painted. The bedliner is made to go over painted sufaces. I have done the same thing, Now I don't mind the weight gain since I am using it for sound deadening too and I am going to have 450hp to push around the extra weight!! :D

I am also going to paint over the bedliner and then use an undercoating over everything.... I really want to make sure things don't rust... but then I am in Illinios where they use salt on the roads!

BTW don't get any on your hands...Don't ask me how I know!!!

Oh man!!! don't remind me about it... So far, the only way to remove it right away is to sand that part of your body down with 80 grit sand paper :D ... light sanding only, you don't want to see any flesh ... It worked... I tried it :D

Huy

The truck bed-liner that comes in a can (Kragen's, Autozone...etc.) weighs approximately one pound per can. That, obviously, includes the weight of the can and the propellant. One can can ( :shock: ) probably cover 4-6 sq/ft or more depending on how thickly the coats were applied.

Guest Carwood

I found a product called "Rust Bullet" after I did a search on the net for rust solutions. Do a search on Yahoo for "Rust Bullet" and read up on it at their website. It has been tested against POR 15...is easier to use and is more effective.