HybridZ

Dual Turbo Q45 V8 Swap Completed

Sleek Z

One more thing....

I was noticing, as I'm sure all you have, how nice those ports look on the VH45. I had to take the plenum off to get to the injectors and the lower runners off to get at the knock sensors.

This engine uses individual runners on the lower intake, meaning some of you crazy fabricator guys could easily fab up a tunnel ram or something.

Also, apparently, on the left cyl. head there appears to be a DISTRIBUTOR block off plate. I don't know what it is but that's what it looks like.

Imagine a carb'd VH45.

Just my thoughts.

Man oh man I wish I had a service manual for that car. Can't find one and the dealer wants 300 bucks :(

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine a carb'd VH45

I can't imagine one becuase that'd just be so wrong to do to the VH45. :lol:

With fuel injection technology these days you can tune the engine to a much higher extent than a carb would ever be able to do.

Basically... it would just be pretty pointless to carb a VH45. It would be like trying to turn it into a pushrod engine. No point at all... unless you intentially don't want it to perform to its full extent.

Plus... if you want forced induction down the road... a carb would definitely be a huge step in the very wrong direction.

free service manual

• 1 month later...
One more thing....

I was noticing' date=' as I'm sure all you have, how nice those ports look on the VH45. I had to take the plenum off to get to the injectors and the lower runners off to get at the knock sensors.

This engine uses individual runners on the lower intake, meaning some of you crazy fabricator guys could easily fab up a tunnel ram or something.

Also, apparently, on the left cyl. head there appears to be a DISTRIBUTOR block off plate. I don't know what it is but that's what it looks like.

Imagine a carb'd VH45.

Just my thoughts.

Man oh man I wish I had a service manual for that car. Can't find one and the dealer wants 300 bucks :([/quote']

Wait for a 91 Q45? It uses the VH45 engine but I'm not sure if I have the Service manual for it (I do know I have two books)

If you want, I can scan the things you need, although it might take long if you want all of it for free.

• 3 months later...
Guest anlasak

No.

Its not.

One more thing....

Man oh man I wish I had a service manual for that car.

You will find one at the following link.

http://www.phatg20.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=62

Guest anlasak
Thanks!

Now I can learn more about this wonderful powerplant rather than trying to guess what's wrong (though I've done OK so far, but I would rather know what I'm looking at under there)

You're welcome.

You might also want to check out the VH/VK forum on NICO. There's quite a bit of information over there on the VH45DE.

• 7 months later...
Guest benzguy72
My dad has the q45 in his salvage yard begging to have the motor plucked from it. But I dont know if him or me are up to the challenge of putting it into a z car.

And YES I would like to see more pictures

How much for the engine?? I might have to get it and save it for myself. I am definately up for the challenge. i have been wanting to do a swap for a very LONG time.. ever since i had a q45 as a loaner car from the dealer.

• 1 month later...
Guest hard_knock_man

By weaker, you mean, the 350Z tranny isn't able to take big power and high torque (made of light/breakable elements ?) or you mean weaker just for the diameter of the elements ?

so, has it been confirmed that the z32 transmission bolts to the VH45? is it only the TT transmissions or all z32s? I'm looking to swap this motor into a miata!

It won't bolt to it without an adapter. You can get them at http://www.mazworx.com/store/?event=displayProduct&product=59 You can use a TT or n/a Z32 trans or I belive the V6 truck trans, it has the shifter on the trans instead of the remote exted mount. The n/a and tt are the same internally for sure, probably the truck too as it's the same trans model. Use a VG flywheel. VH's are pretty wide. Don't know how much width will fit in a Miata. I don't think you will benifit from a Z33 6 spd. IIRC,they are single overdrive, just alot more shifting. You'll have more torque with a 4.5. I would rather have the T56 if I wanted a 6 spd.

Guest twiceblown

Wow, thanks for the info. That is EXACTLY what i need! thank you. I'm not worried about excess power. The stock VH will provide MORE than enough power for my needs in stock form. I estimate 1900lbs curb weight, including cage, VH, and trans. low 12s all day long!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest My300zxOK

so okay i just registered for this hybrid z site as i came back from the salage yard. i spoke with the gentelman there and he has to full q45 vehicles and one motor but thinkin that it would probbly be a easier job pulling not only the motor but the harnesses as well. but i think im stuck on the q45 sawp in my z32. anyone with information about this hit me up!

• 1 month later...

Hey clifton, for the Z32 tran to go on the VH, What do we have to do to the Crank since it has a weld on counterweight from the auto tran that it came with. I still cant think of a way to take out counter weight with out touching the crank? I hope I'm making sense.

It won't bolt to it without an adapter. You can get them at http://www.mazworx.com/store/?event=displayProduct&product=59 You can use a TT or n/a Z32 trans or I belive the V6 truck trans, it has the shifter on the trans instead of the remote exted mount. The n/a and tt are the same internally for sure, probably the truck too as it's the same trans model. Use a VG flywheel. VH's are pretty wide. Don't know how much width will fit in a Miata. I don't think you will benifit from a Z33 6 spd. IIRC,they are single overdrive, just alot more shifting. You'll have more torque with a 4.5. I would rather have the T56 if I wanted a 6 spd.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this until now. I haven't even pulled my VH from the parts car yet. I did find they made an awd version though:icon15::icon55:

Go here http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=193 . I know gs14racer on there is using the Mazworx adapter.

Hey clifton, for the Z32 tran to go on the VH, What do we have to do to the Crank since it has a weld on counterweight from the auto tran that it came with. I still cant think of a way to take out counter weight with out touching the crank? I hope I'm making sense.