HybridZ

race specific seats

JMortensen

The old Recaros aren't doing the job, so I'm looking for a cheap race seat that won't have me slammed up agains the door in right turns. :wink: Looking to see what people are using, how you like them, etc.

I want a cheap seat, don't have money for $1000 CF seat. I think I've ruled out the Kirkey Intermediate, because my wife will occasionally run autox's too, and if I got a seat to fit me her elbows would hit the side bolsters when she steers.

Thinking in the $300 or so range. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm 6' and 180 lbs, and like an upright seating position.

Jon

Yeah, I know. I had a bad experience driving a friend's 510 with a Kirkey though. He is 6' 265 lbs and when I got in his car and tried to steer my elbows kept hitting the bolsters. I know the same would happen to my 5'4" 140 lb wife if I put her in a seat that fit me. She hasn't run the car in a few years, maybe I'll try to sneak it past her.

Jon

Guest JAMIE T

The Momo "Start" and the Corbeau "Forza" are my two choices for a 1 piece racing shell in a budget price range.

Pros and cons of both: The Corbeau is the most comfortable, but the plastic escutions around the seat belt holes keep popping loose. The MOMO seat is less comfortable, but better quality.

I chose the Corbeau. I got a good deal(read "free") on it. I have used most brands. The MOMO seat(I think it is called the "Pole Position") is the nicest I've used, but costs on the plus side of $500 for just one. Too rich for me. The two I mentioned above can be had for under $300 each. Of course Sparco and Recaro have one piece racing seats, but I can't afford their gas.

I got a really good deal on my Corbeaus...they are grey and I guess the ricers don't like it (got it from a VW ricer shop). I love them...they are actually quite omfortable and very accommodating to different size riders. I think I paid $199 each for mine.

Yes I have and it looks very supportive, although the huge shoulder wings look like they might cause problems. There's a similar one which I think Ron C has in his BRE replica which he says is even better although slightly more expensive but the name is escaping me right now.

Main motivator for the Forza is $200 delivered! I'm going to go that way if the seat will fit.

Jon

I been very pleased with an OMP Sport Comp seat I installed.

It is a steel frame racing seat, very comfortable on the road and works VERY well on the track (with 5 point harness).

It is (like most others) a bit harder to get in and out of.

Ck out my pics and you can see the mod I did to the stock pass. seat.

Everyone who has been a pass. says it works great (also 5 point harness).

Doug, that's funny. A friend of mine modded a stock seat, welded two big bolsters into the sides and covered with foam. He called it "The Iron Maiden." Aren't the OMP seats a little more expensive?

At this point I think I've narrowed it down to these based on price:

http://advanced-autosports.com/prod13_seats.htm

http://www.soloracer.com/corbeauforza.html

Forza is $200 delivered, the Ultra Shield is $280 before shipping. I know Ron C has the UltraShield in his replica. The UltraShield would be easier to mount (custom brackets for the Kirkey looks like it will work) and looks like a better constructed more purpose built race seat.

Jon

I have a Forza for a drivers seat, and the wings hit the door panel a little bit. Theres about 1 inch between the seat and the transmission tunnel (stock sliders) so if you wanted to fabricate something to move it it would fit perfect.

451234_20_full.jpg

BTW You should consider the Corbeau Clubman seats, they are incredibly bolstered and dont hit the panels.[

I tried the Corbeau Forza, and didn't like it. The seat positioned me too high, and my helmet hit the roof. I am only 6'0", but I am very long in the torso. I sent it back and got a kirkey intermediate.

For daily driving, I use stock 280Z seats. For autocross, I install the kirkey.

Jon, yes my OMP seat was (lets just say) over $300.00 us, but money well spent IMO.

The seat has alot of room on the door side and is very supportive.

I mounted it directly to the floor so it is nice and low, lots of room even with a helmet on.

At some point down the road I will be getting a Kirkey race seat (when I go full track car) and I will then move the OMP over to the pass. side.

I have a pair of coubeau forza's they touch the door ( I have no door panels) in my driving position, I am only 5'-6", slid all the way back the clean the interior quarter quite well, my rpoblem is that I am short with long arms, so they suck, my legs barely reach with the seat all the way up and my arms are too bent up ( I could stear with my elbow's with my 5 point on) if it tip the seat back by putting spacers in front the lump on the front of the seat lifts my legs to the point that they do not reach so be weary of your proportions