HybridZ

Project: ultimate go-kart

zero

Its definatly not as extreme (only 125cc) as what you are building, but I've been working on one myself:

DSCN3236.jpg

Built ENTIRELY from scratch. Its almost ready to ride :)

My buddy says if he ever wrecks his '98 CBR600 smokin joe... I get dibs on the motor! :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool project man, I'm wanting to build one to! :lol: Actually, I was just going to use the whole bike (unknown doner as of now..) from the forks/bars back. Basicaly, attach a set of wheels/brakes and a seat w/steering wheel pedels, ect to the front of it... just run cables or linkages ahead for throttle/brakes and clutch/gears. Wonder if I could licence it as a 'modified motorcycle' to drive on the street.. muhahaha..

Guest DoTheDrew888

Some friends and I have a go-kart project going also. We fabed the frame from metal tube and are working on the axles right now. Unfortunatly we only have a two-stroke 6.5HP Honda engine to work with right now. We plan on putting a bike engine in the kart some day though. The cool thing is that we needed a chain to drive the rear axle so we are using my old timing chain, cam gear, and the crank gear out of my L28 as our drive chain haha. I guess that sorta makes our kart a hybrid Z lol.

Cool project man, I'm wanting to build one to! :lol: Actually, I was just going to use the whole bike (unknown doner as of now..) from the forks/bars back. Basicaly, attach a set of wheels/brakes and a seat w/steering wheel pedels, ect to the front of it... just run cables or linkages ahead for throttle/brakes and clutch/gears. Wonder if I could licence it as a 'modified motorcycle' to drive on the street.. muhahaha..

I have wanted to do this same thing sense 1983. Maybe a bit more exotic though. here is a link to the one that I WILL build SOMEDAY. Link Click Me

No offense but your welds dont really look like they are going to hold. I would have welded the ends together like you did but I would also have put a slightly larger pipe over the top of the connected pips and weld that to the pipes. I would be a very very cautious on the first ride in this thing.

Sounds like a very cool project though! Keep the updates coming!

Guy

the welds between the three main pipes were mainly to hold it for alignment purposes, there will be alot more chassis than that, dont worry. thats why they are so crappy, I would tack it in a couple places, then have to break them to get the rear end straight and went through that process about 10 times to get it square. Then i had to weld over that, Eventually, when I have the rest of the chassis built, I will grind down those welds and do them right.

Hey, great project man!

In my senior year in high school, I built a kart from scratch with two buddies for our engineering class. It had a two-layer triangulated frame that we designed on Autocad, using chromoly tubing and heavy duty downhill mountain bike forks, wheels, brakes and bmx chains. It was awsome. The teachers wouldn't let us put an engine in though (they claimed "insurance" reasons), but we planned on putting one in after school let out. Unfortuneately, we didn't get around to it, and we couldn't find a place to stash it long enough, so we had to get rid of it (I was pissed). A couple years later my buddy did another one for off road use, with an 8hp lawnmower engine and torque converter running off a solid rear axle and rear brake. It had a full overhead type cage and knobby kart tires. That was a lot of fun tearing up trails out in west marin.

Best of luck with your project, man, it looks like it will blow away my old kart!!

Zero, I love the project, had one that is very similar rudely interrupted by more school and work.

But as far as what 80lti is saying. I have to agree. and you really dont just grind it down and fix it... With the massive amount of weld you have there, you are going to have a brittle, crack susceptible area. I would recommend continuing with the build until the chassis will support itself, and then removing the section of tubing in that area, at least 3 inches away on either side, cut out at a 45 degree angle. Then get a smaller peice of tubing that fits rather snugly, and use it as a backing for the butt weld, also drill some holes and weld through to the tubing. they should be reasonable sized hole fill welds.

Actually, i doubt that you could do that whole deal without having the frame in two pieces. but, if you do it this way it will be much stronger, and with proper metal finishing you can make it look very good.

Have fun and be safe..

this coming from a guy with a broken ankle.. still riding the motocycle every day.

Joe

Guest ON3GO

im with Guy..

i didnt even see his post about the welds when i was gonna say something.

me and my friend built something JUST like this.

found a old shifter kart and used a engine plus tranny from a GXR 1000.

you will need to box in and make as many cross pipings as you can.

that stucker will flex hard core under weight so be warned.

tires will spin very easy, even with that 600 motor.

also where will you be putting the engine in relation to where you sit?

we ran into alot of problems and ended up finding out the best place is right next to you about maybe 3 to 6ins more back then where you sit.

ours was a one seater too.

mike

I have been wanting to build somthing similar for a while. Bike engines are expensive here though so I have been having a look around and desided to use the drive train from and alfa 33 or sud. Could also use subaru but the alfa set up is much lighter. I would take the whole subframe out of the front and use it as a jig to make up the tube frame for a mide engined flat 4. You would just have to make up some front suspension. I would be useing this on the farm and for great blasts of speed up and down the local aluvial river bed so suspension is mandatory. You can pick up whole alfa suds here for $500 odd so would be a cheep project.

Douglas

A 1000cc shifter cart would be crazy. I was thinking about using a FWD car like a civic,

cutting off the back half of the car, building a sandrail frame in front of the engine. with an automatic tranny I think it would work. Now if I could just get some more money......

Wait a minute. Karts don't have front brakes? Come to think of it, you're right. I guess I'll just have to use a new pair of running shoes for front brakes, kinda like they did on the Flintstones. Hope they don't overheat

Trust me this does'nt work. I tried it once when testing a friends little bro's cart; brakes went out and I hit a house at the bottom of a long hill. Ten stiches and one bruised ego later and I was just fine.

Guest 240zJake

Maybe you should check this out, building one at school...

they are limited to 600 cc's with a 2cm restrictor, but without the restrictor they are pretty fast.

http://students.sae.org/competitions/formulaseries/fsae/results/2004pix.htm

and of corse we are spending 30,00 plus to build it..but..

http://www.reflector-online.com/vnews/display.v?TARGET=showImage&article_id=41e80ca2ba3df&image_num=1

Thats our frame.