HybridZ

Post for all Gamers GT4

BillZ260

Well after over 2 weeks of waiting I finally got to play GT4 "Prologue" on my PS2. That's right! I have been waiting for the MODCHIP.COM slider card and boot disks, they took over 2 weeks to ship. They didn't tell me they come all the way from sweeden!!! Anyway, my buddy and I went halves on the game from china, import.

It was worth it, the graphics are astounding! I can't belive with the same hardware that they could evolve the graphics so much. The backgrounds and sceenery are what changed the most, the replays are like watching somthing real. Very sweet. This "Prologue" version is basically a sampling of what the full gt4 will have. Has 5 tracks and about 50 some cars which you have to unlock about half of. There is a driving school that makes up most of the game, got 3/4 through that last evening. I got to drive the silver NISMO 350Z with the red and black graphics and a fairlady 240, very cool. I am looking forward to unlocking everything. I need a wide screen tv though because the default format looks to be 16:9. So I will have to take it to my friends house and play on his HGTV to see if the picture gets any better on that. Still very cool!!! Even if almost all the text and language is in chineese!!!

Thought i would share :)

Hahahahahahah! The evils of video games.

I got my PS2 for 1 game and one game only: GT3 - looks like I will have another worthwhile game for it soon.

Thanks for the line Bill! I can't wait!

-Forrest

When is the official US release?

Dunno, was supposed to be 4/04/04 but there was something wrong with the steering wheels not working right, i think they pushed it back to november, that is why I got the Chineese version :)

Bill sounds neat but you need to get back to work on that car!!!

HAR!! Yeah, between my pool table project, honeydoo's, and 'other stuff' the Z isn't moving along too quickly. I am going to buy STORM280ZT's short block so that should help alot!!! Once I get that and buy my clutch parts this thing should get moving a little better. Funds have also become an issue so now I am having to save up before I buy stuff. I'll get there!! :)

David tell ya what, you come by sometime and well see how we allocat our time, working on a Z in the heat or Playing GT4, driving the Farilady or 350Z in the grand canyon and then in newyork! :) :)

Guest bastaad525

just another case of being in the US sometimes sucking nuts. Seems most other markets are getting the GT4 "Prologue" game, which clocks in at around $20 or $30 in it's native markets... almost a full game in itself really!!! Whereas we are just assed out with no demo no nothing, and the full game getting pushed back almost a full year from it's initial planned release date!! Last I heard it was pushed back to near Xmas of this year... GRAAARRRR.

There was another cool import-only GT3 game that we never saw, I forget the exact title but it was a demo kind of thing as opposed to a full game, was basically GT 3 but packed with prototype or concept, non production cars. Very very cool.

I'll probably break down and buy the japanese version of GT4 as soon as it is available, but I would like to get the game in english. You dont need any modchip or any of that stuff ot play imports on your PS2, an old style gameshark (the kind that came with their own special memory card, available on ebay for roughly $10) and a copy of Devil May Cry (the full game or the demo will work fine) and you can play imports on your PS2 using a simple 'swap trick' (also necessitates opening the case of your PS2).

I bought my "SLIDER" and boot disks that allow you to play "BACK UPS" and imports. You don't have to open your box but you do have to take the front off of the CD tray door.

I saw a japanese version PS2 with a handfull of games go for about 150,not a bad deal if you need a second.

I would try to get the UK version of "Prologue" on ebay if you want it in english. They were more than the chinese version 30 vs 20. I am happy with it though, most of the navigation is done with icons and is in english anyways, only some of the intro is in chineese and some of the text. Not a really big deal.

OH YEAH, did any of you all know that there is a skyline WAGON? after I got through the first half of the demos driving shcool, it played a "making of video" and one of the track/camera cars was a wagon with a skyline fontend on it. What a cool grocery getter!!!

Guest bastaad525

Things Gran Turismo will most likely never have but really needs:

Customizable body work (though there is the "Racing Upgrade" in GT 1 and 2 which changes the entire body of the car, which I was told by a Sony rep would be back for GT 4)

Additional to the body work, the ability to repaint the cars or change car colors

Swappable engines

Car damage

Part of the reasoning for all of these is due to Gran Turismo's heavier-than-most tie in with all of the car manufacturers, and that many manufacturers have been against some or all of the above features (though they do find their way into other games with factory licensed cars???). Gran Tursimo will always be more of the 'purist' racing game, no real support for the aftermarket or that kind of stuff, sorry guys....

I have to say it would be cool to be able to swap engines and maybe paint the car a different color than you reccieve as a prize, but all that is really a waste of time and I would get bored with it. Just like getting new wheels, cool for a while but you kind of forget about it and go on to wanting to beat the game. That's me.

The CHOICE of cars is huge now so if you can't find something you like then there's a problem, even on the demo game, just a different array of the cars added. One thing about damage, I liked the though of that and havng to pay to get your car fixed but it would surely drain your account FAST! In "prologue" if you hit a wall too hard, you get a 10 sec power penalty and can't go over 50 KPH.

Some NEW choice cars

Previously mentioned Fairlady 240, you can literally slide this car all over the track :)

Maclaren F1 !!! Which is fast and smooth!

RX8 which is pretty raspy and has crappy brakes

Honda Oddesy mini van, WTF?

bunch of little econo POS cars, why do they waste disc space with these? are there really any racer enthusiats with the dream of driving these 1.0L terds????

As you can tell I have been playing, only a couple more LONG driving shcool tests to pass. Will see what we get for doing that. :)

check out gtplanet.net they have a whole section on hybrids. someone cracked the game so you could swap engines, suspension and other stuff. i have a mini cooper with formula 1 drive train. you have to have a game shark thing that lets you load you memory chip onto your computer. they also had cars unlocked that werent in the game, like a diablo, gt3, and a few other test cars. it was a lot of fun creating diffrent cars, but i havent played that game in a while. cant wait for the new one. [/url]

Guest bastaad525

I have a gameshark... I remember the hybrid trick but I thought that was only for GT2?? I remember seeing some really cool vids from GT 2 of all kinds of hybrids with that code.

I'll check out that link ASAP... I knew the Diablo was still hidden in there... it was available normally in the japanese version of the game (GT3) but they pulled it for the US... but I figured there'd probaby be a way to unlock it. didn't know there were other hidded cars as well....

Guest bastaad525

b16crx - can you post the exact link to a page specifying how to get the diablo or hybrids in GT3 (if you were referring to GT3) I've been thru the whole gt3 section at gt planet and found nothing under gameshark codes or otherwise.

I'm buying a ps2 this summer, i havn't owned GT3 yet... I'm gonna try to get a good way through gt3 before gt4 comes out. Maybe even buy gt2.

BUT!!! Has anyone see our wonderful new demos by nvidia & ati?!?!?! Holy ()%^&)(#$*%*@

DANG! Dx9 games are gonna ROCK! The next gen platform console (as long as they wait a good solid 2 years to come out) or gonna be SICK! I can wait to see the next gen racing games. We're talking Sudo realism, millions of flying particles, and with the help of cel- shading and even better bump mapping we're seeing games that make the origonal toy story look like crap. It's scary man.

Personally i think that EVERY new console this next time should come TOTALLY upgradable. So that when the next agp card comes out you can either buy it and put it in yourself or bring it to a service station for a small upgrade fee. This would make for a platform that could last well over 6 years easy. In the last 3 years we've seen game dependace shift from HEAVY CPU dependance over to HUGE RAM & Graphics card dependance. The new cpus have no problem running really advance games. I've seen guys runn over 300 FPS in unreal 03 with an athlon 1800+. They just can put any more than 12 bots into the game, where as i've had over 300 bots in my game running a solid 95 FPS. The cpu dependace has gone way down latlly, so i think the industry is prime for consoles with upgradable graphics cards & ram.

And the whole idea that games run better if they're based on a certain card is really bull. The main problem with porting games is that they've been designed to handle a certain console, so you have to redo all the static meshes and change all the loading techniques. If they just designed console games like they designed pc games they'd only see about a 2% lower performance, but compatablity would be offf the chart. Game pots would take week instead of months, gamers could drop 200 bucks to triple thier performance, and you would add ram to accomidate running an mp3 player in the backround.

And with how availible broadband is now days it only makes sence to transfer the console over to a PC media station for the home theater. Because isn't that what consoles are about anyways? Entertainment? I think nvidia and ati's HUGE leap in performance should be embraced as a doorway to the next type of game console. Not just a console to play games, but one in wich you can record tv, play music, play dvds, surf the web, play pc games, hook up a computer keyboard and mouse, ANYthing you can do with a computer.

I could build a Home theater pc for $500 that would have everything that i described. If nintendo, sony and Microsoft wanted to, they could do the same and design the latest games on them. And if they wanted to, use thier own encryption to aviod cross platforming.

You can see how stronglly i feel about this. But it's only because the tech industy was my life for some time. I still keep tabs on the industry, but i've yet to understnad it's stupidity. Will GT4 be a good game? Yes. Do i think it could be more? Yes. I've see what games now days CAN be. Any game designer will tell you that the half life 2 engine is one of the best pieces of software ever engineered. Is deserves a nobel prize. It's ability to use real physics is unheard of. If they could encorperate an engine like this into everygame then people might accually know what it's like to drive a car at 200 mph, or do a loop in a plane, a shoot an enemy target. The realism is so high now days, yet noone wants to use it because they know they can sell what they have for a better profit. Disgusting i say.

Gollum what you say is probably true but keep in mind that if you go upgradeable hardware and more pc like architecture you (most likely) will also start getting pc problems. I have never, I repeate NEVER had my ps2 crash. This is something the pc croud can only dream about.

A well built pc don't crash either....

I've owned several macs & wondows and build several linux systems.

My OSX Ibooks has NEVER crashed. My current linux game/test box has NEVER crashed... my windows internet surf computer................. too many chrashest to count.

It's all in how the system is designed. If it's designed simplistically without a huge list of processes and keep the structure clean there won't be a problem.

I've designed my own operating sytems for hardware i've build. Even things like network switches have an OS on them, any the rarelly crash. Very rarely indeed.

I'm not talking about makeing a console that's designed like a pc. I'm talking about a console that could show the PC crowd how to do it right. 8)