HybridZ

Z bike rack ???

peej410

hey guys, i was wondering if you guys have ever seen a Z bike rack before. i would love to be able to drive my Z to the trails and have my bike up top but i think my bike is like half the length of the entire car. my buddy said that a yakima type roof rack would work but i dont think so. have you guys ever seen or tryed anything ???? thanks - pete

I've used a trunk mounted rack on the back of a 240Z before. The legs go on top of the rear bumper and against the hatch glass with the straps going to the top of the hatch and under the rear bumper. Worked great holding two mountain bikes, although you can't open the hatch with the rack installed.

I have a Yakima rack on my 240Z and its freeking huge. it really looks odd because the car is so small and low. it uses the a normal size raingutter arms.

the only thing is because you have so little roof area, you have to play with the mounts to get it to sit right, and even then it looks funky, especially when luggin around snowboards!

-S

hehe well what i was thinking is that i may custom make something out of aluminum but i have to get a look at how the yakima stuff works first i was thinkin it would be badass if i bent a piece so that it went down to the end of the hatch for the bikes tires to fit in and clamp in but i dont know i need to do more research and find a rear end for my car hehe

I always liked the old school VW bug racks that you used to see all the time. Just a simple piece of tubing bent to the same shape as the roof line, and simply attached to the rain gutters. it would be challenging thats for sure, but it certainly might look a bit more proper than the universal* Yakima stuff. probably a LOT cheaper as well.

-S

You might want to try to find one of the Ski Racks that fit and wre boted in on the side of the rear hatch that were around during the 70s. They were designed to hold 2 sets of skis. With some modification you could and some Yakima parts you might get one to work.

hrm , my bike is a 99 Specialized FSR XC comp. i dont think itll fit inside because of my massive welded rear strut bar and wheremy battery is. seems like i have lots of suggestions to think through keep em coming maybe one day ill design a product. gotta get my hands makin some more money heh

If you pull off the front wheel, is the bike still too big to fit inside?

NO WAY! I can barely get my FSR in my explorer sport with the front tire off, length wise. I would like to see a tow bar type that atached underneath the car with a quick release. I had bike racks sitting on the paint!

hmmm well im not too worried about my paint, its rustoleum enamel heheh holding up damn well too ! i just think it would look sooooooo cool to have two bikes up top of my Z like they are riding over it heheheh i cant wait till its back on the road

• 2 weeks later...

if sturdiness is your concern, have no worries. my other car is an accord and i have a yakima q tower rack and i drove 150 miles to austin going 80+ mph with 40 mile cross winds with no problems. i've got a trek liquid 30, my buddy has a klein palomino, and my other buddy has a specialized stumpjumper m5. thats over $6000 worth of bikes and were all on my roof rack. we didnt even second guess whether we would make it or not. roof rack is the way to go.. but the hatch might be a problem. look into thule also.. they may have a rack for us.

http://www.thule.com

http://www.yakima.com

http://www.sarisproducts.com

hmmm im cant decide if i should simplify it and just buy something or fab something up thats really trick and does exactly what i want. i just finished mocking up my new tranny crossmember. cant wait to get my motor back in. heheheh

Yakima worked really well on my Z, there are issues with clearance opening the hatch...the rails are pretty long and the roof of your Z is really short in comparison.

Too bad, I just sold my rack a few weeks back for next to nothing...wish I knew that you needed one...

its alright i think im going to make a purpose built one, i just got a new motor to rebuild yesterday for 360 bucks its an 80s 4 bolt main block cylinders look good and its got 2.02 heads on it. nothin special but the guy said theres a cam in there aswell. that comes first :)

• 2 weeks later...