HybridZ

What is YOUR V8 car worth???

At the end of the day, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So it comes down to finding the right person at the right time. As for buying one, if YOU think that it's a decent deal, then it is. If you can afford the asking price and you like the car, then market forces are somewhat irrelevent, esp. with something as niche as a V8 Z car.......

Tim

It really does come down to "what someone's willing to pay" or "finding the right buyer". I sold my '70 Datsun 510 with VG turbo for $20k, which is the most a 510 has sold for. Of course, it was one of the most unique with double aluminum front A-arms, full cage, etc. I had 5 guys that were all interested in the car starting at $15k but only 1 guy who was willing to shell out the $20k. Of course, he just got his doctor's degree and he had more money than time, where it was worth paying more for a car that was basically "done" and close to what he wanted. So, there are guys out there willing to pay for a Z, just have to find him and the net makes it a little easier. :-D

Well, for a guy who wants a fast, fun car with character, it's worth it. Shoot, what else could you buy for under $20k thats going to be that fast and get looks from people? Not much! Of course, if it's about all-out performance, you can get an early '90s Vette for about $10k. But what's the fun in that and the insurance wouldn't be as cheap as the Z. :-D

Its like the other's have said about it is what someone thinks it is worth. I have seen some rusted out falling apart V8 Z's go for between 3 and 7 thousand, which people actually paid for. One was Blue with white strips and the rus was so bad that it was the only thing holding the car together. I have also seen some really nice V8 z setups go for 1K to 22K. The one K was a steel for someone. The one thing that I have noticed is that each of the V8 Z's I have seen, I determined that there were things done that I really did not care for. It just turns out that doing it on your own will cost you more but you end up with what you want and not how most just piece it together because they were trying to save a few dollars. The best thing I can say is take your time determine what you want and how you want it and keep looking, because you will either find it our decide it is just better to do it yourself.

I bought mine for $1K, and I can tell you it was a smokin deal. All the work done, new carpet, 6 disc CD changer, overall good interior, minimal rust, and the configuration I would have built, 350 Chevy with a 700R4 Trans.

Thanks RiverZ!

Personally I’d be willing to pay well in excess of $20K for a V8Z that very closely meets my personal tastes and interests, but the price level drops quickly even if the workmanship is spectacular but the character of the car isn’t what I prefer. A couple of beers and I’d gladly pay $40K for a brutal, completely stripped tube-chassis car weighing <2200 lbs, that runs in the 9’s – on 87 octane, without nitrous or turbo/blower/supercharger, with a conventional manual transmission – and (very important for me) that can achieve that time even if shifted at 4000 rpm. Because I’m a hamfisted dweeb who likes to launch at idle and can’t tell apart a dragster from a yard tractor. But if the car meets the above specs, I don’t care if it’s a Z, a Camaro or a Yugo (as long as it’s converted to RWD). And I really wouldn’t care about the paint job, whether the various lights or gauges work, or if there’s rust in the rocker panels. If you have a car like that for sale, the cashier’s check is in the mail.

Why? Because by the time I invest in tools, experience and parts to get such a car built, it would have cost well over $40K, at a significantly lower level of performance. And this isn’t the sort of car that Troy Trepanier or So-Cal Speed Shop would build for you, even if you showed up with a suitcase full of $100 bills.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t even pay $10K for a nice “well rounded†car with a crate 350, 700R4, pro paint job and cream-puff interior, that runs 13’s but requires 6500 rpm shifts to get there.

But some people would snap-up the latter example for double the price, and would value the former example no higher than scrap metal. So, yes, it all depends on finding the right customer.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest the_dj

It's not for sale so I don't really think about it. ;) If I HAD to, I bet I could get my $8000 back that I bought it for once the radiator and oil pan are fixed next week.

Just off the top of my head for the big dollar items that I have in my LS1 240Z is like 20K to 24K and and that's not including the 4inch stack of recipts that I have and I dont even have a paint job,seats,dash or interior :malebitchslap: ........I have to dump like another 8K into my car to even sell it for 20k to 24K,but I will have alot of 1 off stuff made for my car that no one else will have either.I am afraid to add up that stack of recipts that I have..... :cry2:

Engine and tranny 5k, wheels and tires 3k, being able to stay on the bumper of a Viper on the back straight of VIR, Priceless. Mark

Mark...Dont you mean for a viper staying on you bumper....at least that's how it is in my case.You got to pay to play :wink: