HybridZ

I need opinions!!!!!

I'll have to go with the masses on this one. First go w/ the Nitto 555R's and see how much it helps. They are gaining an excellent reputation w/ the high HP cars. Nice and sticky and handle much better than the BFG's in the rain.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank's to everybody for all ideas, I think I'm gonna not flare it. I will see about getting some 15 inch rims with drag radials for the track, and I'm defiantly gonna ditch the 235 yokahama avs, I will try to bang around inside the rear fender to see how much tire I can get. I like my car to sit pretty low so I will try to get the tire size somewhat the same, maybe a 245-35-17 for the street. I recently purchased the tubular control arms from AZ Z car, does anybody have these and do they work good??. I'm dying to get my car running, it's been almost 2 years!!I will get plenty of video footage and pics putting it back together, maybe I will post some pics of what it looks like now, just to shock some people, its a heap!!!!

I have been preaching the wonders of using the Nitto DR as an everyday street tire for very high HP cars. The bad traits of DRs on the street (rain and tire wear) do not apply to the Nittos. Since putting mine on, I made several trips to the track and the 2 recent events I drove to totalled almost 2,000 miles themselves. It looks like I might have worn them down .1mm :D:D

Unfortunately for me I could not get the 275/40-17s to hook on 10-sec passes but I would not leave home w/o them. I fear driving my Z in the rain, not because of the Nittos (no problem there) but because of the sh*tty wiper system.

No need for a suspension change with that awesome R230 setup or massively wide tires, just focus on tire compound. Nitto DRs or Toyo Proxes RA-1.

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

I have been preaching the wonders of using the Nitto DR as an everyday street tire for very high HP cars. The bad traits of DRs on the street (rain and tire wear) do not apply to the Nittos. Since putting mine on, I made several trips to the track and the 2 recent events I drove to totalled almost 2,000 miles themselves. It looks like I might have worn them down .1mm :D:D

No need for a suspension change with that awesome R230 setup or massively wide tires, just focus on tire compound. Nitto DRs or Toyo Proxes RA-1.

Sorry I haven't been listening well enough, Scottie bonk.gif

What's your opinion of straight line traction between the Nitto DR and the RA-1? If the RA-1 is close, I'd be going that way. The other problem for me is that I want a 235/45-17 up front and the Nitto isn't available in that size, but the RA-1 is.

Originally posted by Z-Gad:

Mike, dry traction is excellent (except cornering), but they are useless, even scary, in the rain. I would have gone with the Nitto if they offerred the size I wanted (235/60/15).

I looked at Nitto, and RA-1s and they don't have anything close to what I want(325/50/15). I did want to use them as my everyday rear tires, but now you are scaring me with the rain thing! What's wrong with cornering?

I'm a BIG fan of tall sidewalls for the rear on high HP cars.

I'm 48 and prefer to have springs and bars appropriate for good handling, but would only go 16" rims on the front, and as small as would clear rear disks on the back.

Much better ride and much easier to control when autocrossing. When launching, the tall 'walls help a lot.

Been running 16's on my 280 ZXT and ride is nothing to brag about and doesn't 'hook as well as the 15's I had before on launch. Feels like it's on rails w/the F1 steels, but would tradea little for ride comfort (makes my cd changer skip too much as compared to the GSC's I had on before, but wore out WAY too soon).

I agree w/lower rear spring rate a bit, but would get a bigger rear bar to provide same total effective spring rate in cornering.

Just my .02....

Love your videos, and eventually my '75 conversion may hope to match. (I agree with you that I don't want flares in any way shape or form)

Brad

Thanks, Scottie. I just always thought you should have the same model/brand tires all the way around. But hey, I have different sizes, so that's probably out the window :D .

I might go with Bridgestone S03s or Kuhmos up front and Proxes RA-1s in the rear.

Mike kZ, Zya's idea about the yokohama avs is what I have on my 327Z and they have them close to your size 345/35/15 for only $107 per tire. These tires are outstanding for cornering, and are very predictable in the rain. As long as you aren't running huge power these tires are a solid choice - mine have saved me a few times already in the three cars I've ran them on.

Brett

I guys, I don't know if I'm outside of the track right now because anyone tell the option of adding weight at the rear, in the trunk, that is what we do with rear wheel drive in the winter, here in canada!!! :D Guys I,d like you to tell me if i'm really outside of the track, because I don't think that wider tire will do a real difference with so many HP in the car. Just another suggestion!!!

Btw, nice car and its good seing you around! 2thumbs.gif

i think you need these, youll be able to put it all to the ground then and turn like a champ.

http://zparts.com/showcase/datfest99/99r8f03_m.jpg

but if you dont want to flare, i can understand, having spend all that time and effort on those rear quarters, but man youve got a lot of power and drive your car like a madman, i think youre at the power point where you cant hide behind that stock body any longer, youre just denying yourself the true potential of your car, but then again i like watching you get rubber in third without clutch doggage. flarem...

Mike,

there are cars running in the 8s with the 345 BFG DRs but do not condier them for an everday tire. Closest you can come is the 275/60-15 Nittos. They certainly will not fill your fenderwell but they will HOOK!.

Pete,

DRs not needed on the fronts. Unfortunately, neither has a great selection of sizes. Unless you are hung up on having matching F & R, stick with what you have on the front and put the Nittos on the rear. I am running 275/40-17s on 17x8.5 on the rear.

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Mike,

there are cars running in the 8s with the 325 BFG DRs but do not condier them for an everday tire. Closest you can come is the 275/60-15 Nittos. They certainly will not fill your fenderwell but they will HOOK!.

Well CRAP!, I don't want a skinny tire in my minitubed wheel wells (275/60/15 Nittos) , I can't transport slicks with rims just for drag racing. Now I can't use 325/50/15 drag radials, (which would fill my wheel wells perfectly),that I thought I could use as my rear tires! This sucks! :mad:

now I have been thinking making it a road race car or at least something I could take to Sears Point or Thunder Hill for a open track day, maybe a yZ flair kit with some 18x10, remove the blower and get airflow research heads diffrent pistons for higher compression and probably have 450hp, it would rip!