HybridZ

new chassis

i was wondering if anyone has info on building a full tubular

frame for a 240z or if anyone has used the jegster chassi from jegs.

i'm looking to build a pro-touring 240 and would like to fit 345/40/17 tires out back

with no flaring.

thank you

Guest iskone

345's :shock:

I doubt the Jeg's chassis fits, you might be able to tell the myour dimensions though.

You can also have a plenty stout Z with if you weld in a cage and subframe conectors. Then just go with tubs or even mini's

Isaac

345's :shock: You have to use some kind of flare for that tire. Thats almost a 14" tire. That was designed stock to wear 7.5" tires. 295's are even a stretch and they would give you great traction. How much HP's are you putting down. Don't waste a ton of money on huge tires if it isn't neccessary. As dar as the chassis goes well lets just say that not where my knowledge is strongest.

Guest JAMIE T

I think he intends on tubbing the car to fit the 345's. I say do it. you should be able to use the Jegster chassis, 345's will be no problem. My personal preferance though is that tires that wide don't look proportional on a car as small as a 240Z unless it is flared. See pics of my car on a thread here titled pics of 18's on my car. Those tires are 265's on 18x9.5's. I will eventually get 295's on the back. I feel my car has that pro touring feel to it.

Guest iskone

Pro-touring is what Z's were made for! :twisted:

It's how I think of my Z when it's all done.

To me it just means "my car can do it all!"

Most guys here have what I feel is a pro-touring car, w/o the 18s though.

Check out this website for more about pro-touring.

http://pro-touring.com/

Isaac

Pro-touring, is all around performance

In the 1/4 mi, handleing, braking and drivability.

I don't know how well the jegster chassi will be on handling

I saw a car that is kind of like what I am thinking of do, at this site http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/8/9/73078389.htm

I'm planning on building a twin turbo LT1 . But I am just getting info together right now so I can make plans on what I need to do

goto pro-touring.com to see some nice cars

OK, that's cool. Can't really be a better overall goal than "does everything bitchin". I don't think your Jegster chassis is going to handle really well with stock fenders and 345s though. I think you'll have a hard time turning it. It should go down the strip nicely though.

Guest iskone

Yeah, like I said almost everyone here wants to the same thing, they jsut don't think of it as "pro-touring". That's why I'm a member!

Anyway, if you haven't been around to long you got to do a lot of research.

You'll find that to build up a Z that will school most cars and take out quite a few of the "pro-touring" crowd it doesn't take as much as your planning.

345's on a Z are almost a waste when it comes to handling and considering the work you would need to do. 345's would also be a problem when it comes to acceleration and parisitic losses.

You can fit 9" rims under the stock fenders and with good tires that is going to be plenty. Some of the guys who hop up 1st gen F-bodies are only using 8" rims. Just think how much heavier those cars are and they only have 8's and the relation of weight to contact patch.

Z's are awesome cars that handle great with little mods, the best way I have ever heard it described is "our cars were made to handle like a rat with sneakers on!". Then all that is left is power :twisted:

For a quick idea of all around performance search for these mods.

coil overs

poly bushings

big brake kits

sway bars

sub frame conectors

roll cages, bars

strut bars (I know, I know)

camber plates

adjustable control arms

LS1/T56 (stick with this and you'll be great)

LT1

383's

302's

Turbo's

R230 LSD

R200 LSD

Quife LSD

Not trying to say what you want to do is wrong at all, go for it!

But I'm saying if you want a pro-touring car just look around almost every Z here is one!!!!

I built a 2x3 tube chassis with 85 corvette front & rear suspension and a 12 point cage for my 74 260z. I am running 335/35R17's in the back and 275/40R17's up front. I am building my own flares out of sheetmetal. visit my picturetrail link for pics. Rick

Is this still in the mock up stage or are you on the road now? That is going to be an awesome setup

Well, Although I'm all for the Pro Touring look, I think stuffing something that large under a Zs narrow fenders (Even Tubbed) is gonna create a rollerskate.

Think about it for a minute guys... My 305-30-18s are 11+ inches of tire EACH... And my Vette is easily a FOOT wider than my Z, and probably more.

I think going with something in the 275-40 series range is about all you would be able to get away with and not create some seriously adverse handling issues...

Mike :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

V8ZRACER260Z,,,,, do you have some info you can give me on how to build and the specs on a 2x3 tube chassis with corvette front & rear suspension and the 12 point cage ,,,that is what i would realy like to do

any help would be great

thanks

Tybo,

• 5 months later...