HybridZ

STI/WRX power steering rack Hummmm

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hydxraulic flow and pressure are hydraulic flow and pressure.

The 240 I know of used brand X rack, and the easily available and pre-made bracketry affordable 280ZXT pump to drive the racks internals. Worked just fine.

I have seen GM pumps on Fords, Chrysler Pumps running snow plough cylinders, Nissan pumps converted into a PTO for a logsplitter on a front mount hitch, and GM pumps used as PRESSURE WASHER PUMPS!

So the pumps are very versatile. Very versitile indeed! :shock:

Pressure is usually adjusted by spring bias and you can adjust it fairly easily if you think it's too touchy or sluggish...

Most Japanese Systems are all made by the same company anyway. Teh only time you would run into strange compatibility problems is seapping American and European, or Japanese and American, etc etc etc...

Except for Jaguar---the old KJ6 and XJS had Saginaw Steering Gear power steering, my father in law was a foreman on that line. They distinguished the steering boxes by the size of the quill shaft connecting the wheel to the steering setion of the box. Corvettes had a very stiff and torsinally rigid shaft, so they had a touchy steering response. Jags got a soft shaft, which softened the steering response.

But from what he said, everything they produced all worked on the same pressure, Response was dictated by internal parts that moved valves and etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a website where they document the power steerign conversion? does it have to be a wrx rack or can you use any impreza rack?

I just go another 280z and want to do this conversion before I put it back together.

the link from before doesn't work.

• 1 year later...