HybridZ

This 240Z was stored in a chicken coop since 1987

LS1240Z

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like I said:

good rust-free partial conversion are CONTINUALLY on sale in California.

The most I would expect to pay would be $3500, and in any case, with all the structural things he's doing anyway, the "rust repair" will not be a factor on just about any California Car he builds.

Fact of the matter is the car is worth at LEAST $7K in it's condition (maybe do a rub out on the paint and some cleaning).

It may go for considerably more.

When you look at similar economic comparisons, a rust free car you buy for $3500 is a BETTER deal than one you get for $500, when the $3500 one leaves you with $3500 in the bank!

Keeping the car will only be a continual cash outlay from this point on.

Selling it, and though the project waits for a few months (maybe) while he sources another car, the starting bank account will be $3500 for the project (if he buys a $3500 car, MORE if he buys a less expensive unit).

Better cash flow management.

If he even buys a $6500 car (which will be DAMN NICE!) he is no further BEHIND than he is now. I ahve seen what $6500 buys in California, and I'm telling you he would be FAR better following that route!

Most 240's go for around the low $3's. Competent clean starter cars. For the extra $6500, chances are you will get something with performance items like wheels, tires, roll bar, etc etc etc....

All will be saleable commodities, and will not cost him one red cent more out of his pocket.

I'm looking at this from a purely financial standpoint, and my feeling is that an equivalent donor can be found or built using proceeds from the sale of this vehicle and STILL leave him more money for the project.

This isn't back east where a rust bucket will set you back $5K. This is California. Hell, I'd bet you could go to a local Lein-Sale Impound and find several donors that wouldn't cost more than $200, and having a professional rust repair done wouldn't cost more than $3K.

I mean, look at the facts thusfar: he wasn't planning on using the INTEROIR. That says I can look for "project cars for sale" in the classifieds, as buying a car WITHOUT an interior will be MUCH cheaper than a stocker complete.

Heck, even Bastaad agrees: "guaranteed you will find someone selling a done or very-close-to-done V8 swap Z, usually in the $3000-5000 range"

And THAT is exactly what my position and strategy would be.

like I said:

good rust-free partial conversion are CONTINUALLY on sale in California.

The most I would expect to pay would be $3500

Man, I need to I need to get on that mailing list so I can start stocking up on Z's. Since I searched CONTINUALLY for 8 months to find a nice car. :D

Since you gutted the interior it will be rear easy to clean everything and reassemble. The car will be like new, not a crumb anywhere. Not many people remove carpet etc and clean that good. Like what has been said, set a high reserve and see who bites. That for sure is one nice find!!

After reading this thread and veiwing the pictures I am almost at a loss for words. I ride both sides of the Z fence....hybrid/purist. I'm currently restoring a 72 240Z to stock and already have invested $$$$ with more to go. To see the condition of this car when he first saw it is a dream come true for many. Now all I can do is be :(:(:cry: !!

LARRY

I know what you mean Cyrus!

Always seems when you WANT something, there's none to be found, but after you GET something there are a DOZEN or so for cheaper that surface in the next month.

A lot of it is market timing.

Mark My Words, it's only a matter of networking with the right people, and waitingfor the "spring cleaning season" to roll around and the deals start rolling in.

I keep a file of "Fairlady Friends" in my laptop, and wherenever one comes up for sale, a post goes out to them.

you never know what will show up, and unless everybody you know is looking FOR you at the same time, it never seems like there is a deal to be had.

My bud was out looking for Z's one day, and casually mentioned there was a nice little Datsun 1200 for sale for $1500 in this guys yard, and an old Datusn Truck out back. Plus what he thought was a black 510 in the side yard.

Before he could go any further, I said "go back and ask him how much for the 510!"

Now, ANY 510 in SoCal seems to go for $1500. Period. Sure there are the station wagons that someone finds for $300, or thereabouts, but they always keep those deals themselves.

What I ended up with was a 1969 Datsun 510 (early style) COUPE for $250. While it's rough, all the glass that was broken is included with the car, and in an odd twist of fate, a car half filled with dust from the desert suffered a rot-out of the driver's side floorpan, but without a SINGLE spot of rust anywhere else on the car!

So the key is networking, and having the capital to move on an oppportunity when the time arises. And selling this beauty will definately give him MORE than the $500 he expended. And I would venture to guess a solid, stripped interior car would be available for well under $3500.

For what it's worth, I have a TOTALLY STRIPPED, titled, 72 Shell with ALL RUST REPAIRS COMPLETED sitting in my backyard, and have had it there for THREE YEARS. Someone made me an offer on it a month or so ago since they needed a stripped chassis for a racer car project, and I promised it to them.

For $200.

Killer deal, especially if you find any number of rusted out hulks that are complete for well inder $1000, combine the two for necessary parts, and Viola! Rust Free Race Car!

But nobody here asked for a shell now, did they? :D

I'm with the sell it to someone who will want to keep it stock, it would be a shame to destroy a completely unmolested classic car of ANY kind. This is not to mention the HUGE profit you will gain in the process! As for other cars that would suite your needs...has anyone looked in the Classifieds on this site lately? There are a few on there right now that appear to be great candidates, including a V8 swap that's completed for $3k.

Sell it to a 'collector' take the profit and make youself a killer Z for less out of your own pocket! Talk about a win-win situation.

I just came across this one, maybe something of intereste...

S30 240z 01/73 For sale

Its a rolling body and NO rust or no dammage price is $650 for the car car does not run (motor/tran out of car)

body is in excellent condition can ship it but local pick UP for it

car comes with L 2.4 with S/u carbs headders and upgraded springs let me know if you need photos of it

karim

(818)-345-7289

Alright........I have decided to sell the car and not do the LS1 conversion to this one.You make sense and so do a few others.I removed the interior from it buy put back like half of it after I cleaned it.I will be putting it on ebay for everybody to have a chance at it.A lot of the guys from classiczcar site were pretty upset when they found out what I was doing to it.Now they have opportunity to get.They were talkin Sh!! to me and other crap because I wanted to do the LS1 swap....What's up with that???Where is the love :?: Where's the support like I get here??

Anyways,I will be posting a link for whoever is interested a little later when I do the ebay AD.

I know what you mean Cyrus!

Always seems when you WANT something' date=' there's none to be found, but after you GET something there are a DOZEN or so for cheaper that surface in the next month.

A lot of it is market timing.

Mark My Words, it's only a matter of networking with the right people, and waitingfor the "spring cleaning season" to roll around and the deals start rolling in.

I keep a file of "Fairlady Friends" in my laptop, and wherenever one comes up for sale, a post goes out to them.

you never know what will show up, and unless everybody you know is looking FOR you at the same time, it never seems like there is a deal to be had.

My bud was out looking for Z's one day, and casually mentioned there was a nice little Datsun 1200 for sale for $1500 in this guys yard, and an old Datusn Truck out back. Plus what he thought was a black 510 in the side yard.

Before he could go any further, I said "go back and ask him how much for the 510!"

Now, ANY 510 in SoCal seems to go for $1500. Period. Sure there are the station wagons that someone finds for $300, or thereabouts, but they always keep those deals themselves.

What I ended up with was a 1969 Datsun 510 (early style) COUPE for $250. While it's rough, all the glass that was broken is included with the car, and in an odd twist of fate, a car half filled with dust from the desert suffered a rot-out of the driver's side floorpan, but without a SINGLE spot of rust anywhere else on the car!

So the key is networking, and having the capital to move on an oppportunity when the time arises. And selling this beauty will definately give him MORE than the $500 he expended. And I would venture to guess a solid, stripped interior car would be available for well under $3500.

For what it's worth, I have a TOTALLY STRIPPED, titled, 72 Shell with ALL RUST REPAIRS COMPLETED sitting in my backyard, and have had it there for THREE YEARS. Someone made me an offer on it a month or so ago since they needed a stripped chassis for a racer car project, and I promised it to them.

For $200.

Killer deal, especially if you find any number of rusted out hulks that are complete for well inder $1000, combine the two for necessary parts, and Viola! Rust Free Race Car!

But nobody here asked for a shell now, did they? :D[/quote']

Now they have opportunity to get.They were talkin Sh!! to me and other crap because I wanted to do the LS1 swap....What's up with that???Where is the love Where's the support like I get here??

It's like what i said if you don't get the price you want then hack into it. Now all the haters can either put up or shut up! :twisted: A lot of these guys talk big it's time for you to collect BIG!

Yeh,you never know....alot of guys dont like the fact that I will be making hand over foot on them,even though it doesnt realy matter what I paid.......does it???What should matter is what the car is worth to them....Now the car is on ebay for everybody to have a chance at it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486548444&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If I dont feel like I'm going to get enough for it........I"M USING IT...NOT FOR A CLASSIC EITHER..... :flamedevil: I have looked this past week at other 240's.I looked at 3 different ones.They were all crap :puke: for $2800 to $3800 dollars.

Now they have opportunity to get it.They were talkin Sh!! to me and other crap because I wanted to do the LS1 swap....What's up with that???Where is the love Where's the support like I get here??

It's like what i said if you don't get the price you want then hack into it. Now all the haters can either put up or shut up! :twisted: A lot of these guys talk big it's time for you to collect BIG!

I'd agree, keep it if you don't get your price.

Just keep in mind that having $2000 more to work on your project (after purchase of a second car) is better than starting from zero.

Look for "project cars" for sale. Things with all the bits exposed, and lower prices. Spring is the REAL time to gather these types of bargians, so don't get in a hurry.

I hope you set a $10K reserve on it, and be quick to contact high bidders after the sale ends if it doesn't meet reserve. If anything at least you have an idea of what the market value of thevehicle might be.

Will have to go look at the ad you posted. Hope you showed the interior with all the stuff stripped out so you can show "Checked thoroughly for rust, and could find NONE!"

You watch, I'll bet money overseas buyers will contact on it. Keep your fingers crossed! GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: Wow, 12 hours and already to $1300+. That's $100 per hour. hopefully it keeps up, and by close of auction you will be a very happy seller, indeed! :D

Hmmmm, looks stalled. Spring always seems to be the hot time of year for the "q-tip and carnubba wax" crowd.

nothing ventured, nothing gained. I wonder what happened tothat guy from Norway who bought JeffP's car? :oops:

I dont know man,I dont think that car will sell for what I will let it go for.I wont let it go for under $6500....To be totaly honest,I dont realy care about the big profit,I will have to spent it either way.I cant find any decent lookin 240Z's around here that are worth building or spending lots of $$$ on or to do my convertion.I see this common $1500 Datsuns,but covered in rust damage or been wrecked.I found a couple for $3000 but they are beat too.Lets say that I sell this car for 5K for example.I will spent at least $3000 on a fair car....maybe.I will need to spent at least 3 to 4K just in body and paint,if there is no rust or damage repair.I payed almost nothing for this car and will spent about 3K on body and paint.I would have a complete rust free 73 240Z with a bad ass paint job for about $3500.If I built another 240,and profited like $1000 or $1500.... I still would have rather built the chick coop Z.All the wiring is perfect and untouched.Other used Datsuns all have hacked harnesses.This one has the stock radio and still works great.When I hooked the jumpers to it the other day,the radio was already on and was on a oldies station...it was like going back in time. :lol:

I will let the auction ride.I cant wait for it to end though,so I can dive into my project.

Sorry guys....some of you might be pissed that I might be converting this car to a V8,but your not pissed enought to buy it from me...Some of you probaly just dont want to buy it because you know I would be making 90% profit from the deal and just burns you up inside knowing that.

:lol: Dont email me crap like that....I dont care.DONT BUY IT THEN!

I dont care either way if it sells on ebay.

Two thumbs for the V8 Datsun :2thumbs:

I'd agree' date=' keep it if you don't get your price.

Just keep in mind that having $2000 more to work on your project (after purchase of a second car) is better than starting from zero.

Look for "project cars" for sale. Things with all the bits exposed, and lower prices. Spring is the REAL time to gather these types of bargians, so don't get in a hurry.

I hope you set a $10K reserve on it, and be quick to contact high bidders after the sale ends if it doesn't meet reserve. If anything at least you have an idea of what the market value of thevehicle might be.

Will have to go look at the ad you posted. Hope you showed the interior with all the stuff stripped out so you can show "Checked thoroughly for rust, and could find NONE!"

You watch, I'll bet money overseas buyers will contact on it. Keep your fingers crossed! GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: Wow, 12 hours and already to $1300+. That's $100 per hour. hopefully it keeps up, and by close of auction you will be a very happy seller, indeed! :D[/quote']

Yeh,I think that's what I'll do.Only a couple more days to find out if I'm building it or not.It kills me not knowing.I look at that car debating every day.To convert.....or, not to convert.....that is the question.

Hi khashabi, please let me know via PM what it would take $ to come buy that Z from you.

thanks

joel