HybridZ

Intercoolers specific for 70-78Z

As you may know I am a Garrett Dealer. Sick of the damn prices of Spearco and the 8week wait on cores. I will be making 5 custom intercoolers for the early 70-78 Z car. I will initially make 2 to get feedback and have already sold one to John T for his RB25 powered 280Z. These use Garrett GT cores with core dimension of 24"(wide)x12"(tall)x3.5"(thick) and they support 900hp. The tanks will be built with the inlet/outlet to your size specs and directly facing the 2 holes at the top of the front crossmember. These cores are cross flow and are the highly efficient tube/fin design. Price will be $600 until the core prices go up. This price includes the fabrication of the end tanks. I will post a pic of what I mean in the morning. Please let me know if you would like the other intercooler for your setup. BTW, Joel S purchased the 4.5" thick version of this core for his RB26 powered 260Z. His core supports 1100hp. The 4.5" cores gives it that badboy skyline feel :twisted:

James, you know where Spearco gets thier cores made, right? ATI, the same people who supply Atlas Copco with air-to-air intercoolers for air compressors (hmmm, similar, but different!)

They also supply the cores for Ford and Banks, and just about anyone else you can think of...

They are a German Based company with applications engineers here in the USA (Salesmen) I can look up their information when I get home if you like. They seem very willing to sell whatever they have in stock if you supply the specifics. We were using them as a go-around for OEM Compressor Applications. While they would not sell us the "same" core or build as they would supply to the OEM for obvious supplier agreement reasons, they were more than willing to supply a "Custom" application with our own part number on it that was basically a reverse-engineering of the A/C I/R, Quincy, etc air coolers.

On an aside, the Garrett (Honeywell) R&D Lab in Torrance CA has a full Intercooler Fabrication facility. They can braze the plate and fin coolers together on-site for their own testing. Can you imagine what goes into the scrap bin after the dyno testing is done? LOL

Guest Brian260ZT

Maybe it's a silly question but...

What if I only want to get to 300-ish rwhp? Is there money to be saved on a smaller core?

Thanks!

Brian

Maybe it's a silly question but...

What if I only want to get to 300-ish rwhp? Is there money to be saved on a smaller core?

Thanks!

Brian

Not really, the pricing on Garrett cores is all pretty standard. I have one of two costs for the cores and the difference is rather minimal. Whether it is a large core or small core my cost is almost the same.

• 3 weeks later...
James' date=' you know where Spearco gets thier cores made, right? ATI, the same people who supply Atlas Copco with air-to-air intercoolers for air compressors (hmmm, similar, but different!)

They also supply the cores for Ford and Banks, and just about anyone else you can think of...

They are a German Based company with applications engineers here in the USA (Salesmen) I can look up their information when I get home if you like. They seem very willing to sell whatever they have in stock if you supply the specifics. We were using them as a go-around for OEM Compressor Applications. While they would not sell us the "same" core or build as they would supply to the OEM for obvious supplier agreement reasons, they were more than willing to supply a "Custom" application with our own part number on it that was basically a reverse-engineering of the A/C I/R, Quincy, etc air coolers.

On an aside, the Garrett (Honeywell) R&D Lab in Torrance CA has a full Intercooler Fabrication facility. They can braze the plate and fin coolers together on-site for their own testing. Can you imagine what goes into the scrap bin after the dyno testing is done? LOL[/quote']

Man I need to find out where a spot like this is around here, can you say Dumpster dive?

I'm really interested in this now' date=' as I'm making some [u']dramatic[/u] progress on my project and will need this in the not-so-distant future for fitment.

Whats the word?

The bird is the word :wink:

The cores are at my buddies shop right now and should be done by wednesday. I will contact you and send pics when complete.

James,

When you sell out of those 10 i/c will you be making any more if people are interested? I just enroled in school and also i bought JTaylors old L28T so i am VERY tight with money right now but i would be very interested around end of the year. Please let me know what are you plans in near future.

Thanks,

Ivan

• 2 weeks later...
Tube and fin highly efficient?

Last I heard that is the oldest of intercooler technology and that Bar and Plate is more efficient - or else Corky wouldn't be using/selling them.

James made a booboo on that part of his discription' date=' they [b']are[/b] bar and plate cores...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...