HybridZ

Lowest ride height possible with an S30?

Guest RCNSC

I accomplished that with coilovers in the rear and a v8 in the front with scarab lowering springs in the front-eibach and gc coilovers. could not fit anything bigger than 205/50 falken azenis in the front and 225/50/15s rear rubbed on the smallest anything, but I was steady mobbin. I estimate I lowered it a minimum of 2.5 inches rear and 3 inches in the front, and I LOVED it.

Just a reminder when lowering your S30. Basically the suspension geometry becomes reconfigured, so to speak, and modifications are in order to obtain good handling. (lots of articles have been written on this subject). On the front you will need to address a number of issues....bumpsteer, camber settings, roll-center. In the rear you will need to address chamber and it is recommended to use CV's, as opposed to U-joint type drive axles especially with high output engines, due to the angle the drive axles will be operating at. Cv's live longer than U-joints do when operating at extreme angles. And of course there is the simple issue of ground clearance for a street car. I,ve been through this exercise and can assure you that with less than 4" of clearance, you want to be very concerned about driveway angles and especially speed bumps (avoid these at all costs). Obviously, things that encounter the ground produce an obnoxious grinding sound!!!

Len' date='

That was your Z? I thought it looked familiar. I remember a picture of it parked next to a curb with the hood open. Don't remember all the primer though.

!M![/quote']

Thats not my old z, but it sure is slammed like mine used to be. That picture does make me miss it though, I kicked more import, domestic, and european @55 than a donkey with the 327/m21!

Ive also heard that lowering a z like that is bad for ujoint geometry, in three years of beating the crap out of my old scarab, I only lost one halfshaft, but broke a mustache bar, a rubber diff mount, a solid diff mount, trans mount, motor mount, trans xmember, diff xmember, and dang near ripped the car in half....but I did get the W's baby :twisted:

its far from optimized but my Z sat about 2.75 off the ground, but i was running dual 2 1/4 inch exhaust and my subframe connectors. it did scrap everything but the problem was more my small wheels and tires than anything else. i did love the handling tho i never needed to install a sway bar (very stiffly sprung at the moment) its like a go kart and even though it was a lot of camber i loved it for ripping around :)

I'm running 245/45-16s and I have to be very careful on driveways and speedbumps. I have taken out the 3 bolt flange off the headers and replaced them with sections of oval tubing to reduce the scraping, but any lower and it would be ungodly irritating.....

If I used block hugger headers I could probably drop it more....

highfront2.jpg

msa1.jpg

Personally, I like the wheels to be centered vertically within the lines of the wheel wells. I think that Aux and Tim are about as close to that as I would like to get. And that first car looks terrible. I know it’s a matter of taste, but that is just butt ugly.

Dale

This is as low as I would go and I had my pivots raised on 250/45/15s with camber plates and bump steer spacers. This autox was really smooth. When it was over I'd raise the car up about 2" and drive home. With the sectioned struts I could conceiveably go 1.5" lower than this and still have suspension travel. :!: I am going to try and raise the control arm pivots more, we'll see what happens...

normal_zongrid1.jpg

That first Z looks like they cut the springs, took the usable part of the spring and threw it in the garbage and put it back together with the unusable part. If it wasn't on the bumpstops just sitting there it was definitely on them under accel, braking, cornering, etc.

This is as low as I would go and I had my pivots raised on 250/45/15s with camber plates and bump steer spacers. This autox was really smooth. When it was over I'd raise the car up about 2" and drive home. With the sectioned struts I could conceiveably go 1.5" lower than this and still have suspension travel. :!: I am going to try and raise the control arm pivots more' date=' we'll see what happens...

[img']http://hybridz.org/nuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/14901/normal_zongrid1.jpg[/img]

That first Z looks like they cut the springs, took the usable part of the spring and threw it in the garbage and put it back together with the unusable part. If it wasn't on the bumpstops just sitting there it was definitely on them under accel, braking, cornering, etc.

I love the stance of your car. If I could mimick that with 17"s and my dream body mods, that's be awesome. Personally I like the go cart ride in a car, especially with powersteering :twisted: .