HybridZ

Pic of my custom rear strut bar

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 2slo4u

Looks nice. I was thinking of making one with an "X" design going from the top to the bottom of the opposite side to triangulate the stress.

Yeah, I notice most of the "ricers" like to drive around the autocross over here and rev their engines. They don't seem to want to drive the course though. I talked to one and his excuse was " I don't want to mess up my ground effects". I said "What's the point of all that plastic if you can't race?" He just gave a pissed off look and didn't reply. Some of the "rich kids" do race with their acura rsx's and a couple of s2000 honda's. The experienced guys usually whip up on them with their 70's models hondas and datsun 510's though. That is always cool. (Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread)

81zxturbo too rusty to autocross!

95slobaru

In the sportbike community squids are those idiots that wear shorts, t-shirts and flipflops, with the little chrome half helmets on... You know, the guys making my insurance premiums go through the roof... :shock:

I call them oxygen thieves! :D

Mike

Thanks guys, and thanks for the clarification on what the defenition of a "squid" is! lol. I just had this laying around the garage and figured what the heck. It was banged up on the ends that's why i figured i'd cut it up and see what i could do with it. Seems to tighten the back up a bit. Front to come soon :)

I hate to interrupt this thread with any tech talk (just kidding!), but a curved bar is much less stiff in compression (think of the towers moving towards each other) than a straight one. Looks nice and shiny, but not doing near as good a job as as simple straight bar between the strut tops.

An X would be better too.

Mike, what Bike insurance - I thought you were selling that widow-maker? :roll:

I think your absolutely right Pete that a straight bar is stiffer for lateral movement but, i'm going to have to disagree with you 100% if you think that bar is going to flex under any amount of load those shock towers are going to apply to it. If it did, i think the back of my Z would have been caved in by now with all the pressuse i put on those towers before i had this bar. Just my opinion. And really, it was just a fun project for a couple of hours in the garage to see what i could do with it. Hope i didn't offend anyone with this not-so-technical post to begin with.

It's a simple fact that a curved bar will bend and allow the ends to move towards each other much more than a straight bar that just compresses.

I don't have the books in front of me at the moment. But the curved beam in compression is going to allow the towers to move together probably an order of magnitude or three more than a straight bar in compression. Sure, the car doesn't collapse from the loads but it flexes and the towers move towards each other. The point of the bar is to limit that movement with a stiff bar between them. The curved bar is much less useful for this.

Pete

Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, solid mechanics

Pete, Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, solid mechanics :D , As i mentioned in my previuos post, i do know that fact and fully agree with you that a curved bar will flex more than a straight bar. I was just stating that i don't think the amount of force the rear shock towers apply to either bar will be any different. Technically, i have not measured the amount of force the rear shock towers apply inward or outward AND have not measured the amount of force it takes to start flexing the curved bar i used, but it is my opinion that it is strong enough to do as good as job as a straight bar considering the limited amount of pressure applied by the rear towers.

Len

Network Administrator, 36, husband and father of 3 :wink: