HybridZ

Darn It..After All the Hard Work..New Oil Pan Gakset Leaking

slownrusty

Hi Gang - Well after over 2+ weeks changing my oil pan gasket and installing my new Autometer Gauges, I bent down under the car to find a little puddle of oil...I was so mad...that I actually started to chuckle...you know where you get to that point where you have just about had enough...

Well I am sure we have all been there.

Anyway, the reason I think the new oil pan gakset is leaking?? When I actually called the local Nissan dealer to buy this gasket they said that the computer actually does not have an oil pan gasket actually listed for the L28ET - I was shocked! The Tech said that they recommend using a decent layer of RTV without the gasket.

To be honest I have done that before (on my Toyota and it worked) but I preferred going with an actual gasket instead of RTV alone. So the Tech ordered a new oil pan gasket for a regular (NA) L28E and that's what I used. The new gasket is a Cork rubber (not my favorite type) mix.

When I installed the new oil pan gasket I did put a thin layer of RTV on both sides it to fill any voids but when I tightened it down with the 20+ or so 10mm bolts, the gasket looks like it smushed out to the sides at bit especially at the back where the sump is. So there are some sections where the oil pan gasket is overhanging a fair bit past the edge of the oil pan.

My plan this weekend is to buy Permatex with the Hylomar and remove the oil pan gasket all together and use the Permatex by itself (without the gasket) as suggested from the Dealer...hopefully that will cure my leak.

Any thoughts gang....thanks for bending me an ear (again!).

Regards - Yasin

I used that Indian Head stuff that can be found almost anywhere that sells parts. Seems to work so far.

Also the holes in the pan can somethimes become dimpled in towards the block from over tightening. If the pans is not flat along the bottom it may leak. Check yours if you haven't already and see if that may have been part of the proublem.

It's easy to bend it while having to use a four foot crow bar to get it off the block after a few yeras of sealing on there. J/K

Thanks for the replies...looks like I will be back under the car again this weekend.

Cody - I did try and hammer any inconsistancies on the mating surface of the oil pan and make sure it was good and flat before re-installation. What is the Indian Head stuff exactly? Are we talking about the motorcycle company and a sealer they use?

jmortensen - Looks like I will take your suggestion - thanks!

I thought about ordering the Nissan Competition oil pan gasket but I decided to just use plain ole Permatex.

Regards - Yasin

Don't use Hylomar by itself...it's not the right application. Just a nice 1/8 inch bead of silicone, install the pan and finger tighten the bolts. Leave it for an hour then nip them all up. After a few heat cycles check them again.

You should have installed the gasket dry, or with a very small amount of hylomar. Silicone with those gaskets generally has problems. Hylomar by itself is not strong enough, but will help to keep the gasket tacky....

Silicone by itself is an appropriate method. Land Rover (110/90 and Pre BMW Discos) showed silicone as the gasket for the oil pan in the factory service manual......

The Indian Head stuff comes in a small bottle less than 2" tall I believe ( brown in color). Sorry I can't remember the exact information on it. I'll have to find the info and get back to you on it in the morning. I had seen it for years but, never thought about using it till I saw it on Brian Little's site (I think thats his name) Sorry about all the non specfics in this post.

I've never had any problems with standard pan gaskets from FelPro and a bit of Form-A-Gasket. And I've never had any luck with silicone. My Subaru needed a pan gasket, the factory never made or installed one - they recommended a silicone of some sort. I made a gasket for it, and sealed that with Form-A-Gasket too. So far, so good.

Hi Yasin, I know exactly what you were talking about the chuckle, REEEEEEEEEEEEEally pissed.

Anyway, go to Kragen and get the Felpro gasket (it should be black comp material) and buy some of the permatex super gray sealer. I highlt recommend this sealer for any application especially with aluminum. Use the sealer on both sides of the gasket. Tighten down the pan so thatthe gasket just starts to squeze out, maybe 1/32 of an inch. That will seal the pan excellent.

One thing to check first though. Make sure the bolt holes are flat and not pushed and bent above the rest of the sealing surface. Also make sure where the pan lip was bent somewhat, and they always bend getting them off, is flatened to make the sealing surface flat again. You can use a strait edge to check it for flatness.

You do that and it will seal tighter then a drum, no mo problems! :D