HybridZ

Conversion opinions - non-Z

Tim240z

For the Opel GT:

Here are the criteria:

Locally (easily) available parts

Size of engine (will need to be inline 4)

reliability (for daily driver status)

economical (for above reason)

enough HP to make it at least mildy fun (remember the GT is only about 1900lbs)

So here is my thinking:

Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 2.3L turbo

------- or --------

Conquest turbo

------- or --------

240sx (I don't claim to vaguely even know what engine designations there are)

------- or --------

leave the Opel 1.9L in as is, but change the Solex to Weber 32/36 (whicj I have)

------- or --------

Convert the Opel 1.9L to FI with MegaSquirt

------- or --------

?????????

Any other suggestions?

The 2.3L turbo has been done, so I can get 'help' with that...the guy put in the engine, gearbox, rear end (shortened 6 inches, stock opel is very weak), and front spindles....

Basically, I'm looking for JY parts for this, so no JDM fancy schmancy stuff like SR20 turbos etc....

Tim

The 2.3 Turbo option would be my choice from that list. It might be worth checking out the potential of the Zetec and Duratec motors in later Fords. It seems like there is a bunch of 'em out there and there seems to be a healthy amount of aftermarket performance parts/options for them.

The 2.3 Turbo option would be my choice from that list. It might be worth checking out the potential of the Zetec and Duratec motors in later Fords. It seems like there is a bunch of 'em out there and there seems to be a healthy amount of aftermarket performance parts/options for them.

It would have to be RWD application and I can't think of any US market vehicle that is RWD with a 4 Cylinder any more....

I don't think you will find a SVO in a junk yard but you might find a Mekuer XR4TI it has the same engine as the SVO. This will give you everything you need. Dude I still want to build a 40 Ford coupe one day and I want this engine in it. It would be sweet, very little weight and you can get some very impressive power out of one. Parts are dirt cheap, and every dirt track racer has more than likley ran on of the 2.3 sometime in their career.

That's what makes the Ford 2.3 turbo so attractive....lot's of Thunderbird Turbo Coupes in the Junk Yards!! I know that that engine has a reputation for blowing head gaskets and cracked heads, but I think that with a good aftermarket gasket and some ARP studs, it will be good......

how about a 4g63 turbo(eclipse/talon motor)? it's been done rwd in a few mighty max pickups, some have even done old porsches and BMWs with that motor. so a rwd setup with that motor is feasible, and the motor has a pretty good aftermarket.

good luck on this project by the way, a friend of my dads has a couple opel gt's sitting at our shop.. cool little cars.

The Ford Zetec engines may be an option. They are apparently popular engines for Lotus 7 replicas. I've got no idea what transmission they're using in these cars, but obviously they've got something that works. Here's the contact information for a Zetec tuner that is mentioned in articles about Birkin Seven replicas:

Circle “C†Performance

1201 Somerset Blvd.

Colleyville, TX 76034

817/428-0214

http://www.circlecperformance.com (not responding for me)

I've been impressed with the reliability of the Zetec in my wife's Focus. She puts in a lot of miles in commuter traffic, and this thing has been a trooper. Nothing outside of scheduled maintenance in over 100k miles. It's especially impressive when you consider her attitude about maintenance before we got married.

What about a Toyota 22R-E? It’s a SOHC 2.4L, found in the 1980’s RWD Celicas, and in Toyota trucks through the 1990’s. Not exactly a hot-rod motor, but plenty of torque, good fuel economy, easy to work on, and reliable.

I have actually thought about that one. The reliability on those engines are great....bulletproof!

Not super duper performance wise though.....but worth looking at....

On the Toyota motor; Yup, reliable as the day is long.. and IIRC, there was even a turbo model availible (4x4 trucks I believe) that would be interesting.. but parts can get pricey for Toyotas, and its a PITA to change the timing chain. (had an 86 $runner. Yah, I ment to put the $ instead of the 4.)

As for the Ford 2.3, I have heard from a few people that the blowing h/g issue is solved by using good quality head bolts, and torquing them an extra 10-20 pounds more than it calls for. Also heard that the 2.3 is an extreamly 'over built' motor otherwise.. you can abuse the hell out of them, crank the boost, and have no problems. Plus when they DO blow up, you can rebuild/buy another fairly cheep.

Tim,

Check out the weight of the pinto. Its a heavy engine for a four. The 22r is another boat anchor. I think these engines would compleatly mess up the balance of the car. A super charged 4age would be fun. What about a v6? Buick 3.8, Nissan 3.0 single cam, ford 4.0. ......Yes I do believe that what you NEED! 3.8 and t5 out of a camaro or TA. :D

Douglas

What about the Conquest TSi 2.6L SOHC engine...any good? I seem to remember that they were very potent and had some good upgrade-ability? Are they reliability issue-prone?

they were good to a point, a popular swap into the conquests is a 4g63. I truely belive if you're going to go with a mitsu engine go with the 4g63.. it's been out since 89 and still comes in the EVO's. the aftermarket is plentiful. :wink: just make sure not to start with a 7-bolt motor.

I rebuilt an opel gt engine with a friend back in high school,man that little car would scream.From a pure budget standpoint,I would think about turboing the original motor.Some thoughful salvage yard scrounging and a buddy with a welder could get it done cheaply I'm sure.Go easy with the boost till the rest of the car catches up(ignition,brakes,fuel,etc..), and you'll be sending honduhs running for cover.(A little laughing gas would'nt hurt either :twisted::twisted: ).

I think the one of the best 4cyl's out is the 4g63. with just a little (and I a mean very little) work the 6bolt 4g63 turbo can be running over 300hp with stock parts. you would have to find a tranny out of a might max pickup but it would be an awsome setup. if you want to stay n/a I would go with a larger displacement motor like a ka24 out a a '92 or newer 240sx. good running long lasting and tons of low end torque(for a 4cyl anyways). these seem to be harder to find anymore with the drifters trying to pick them up also.