HybridZ

How do I put this?

BillZ260

My dad, who is pretty much responsible for ALL of my mechanical interests and most of my abilities...passed away last week. Today my little brother and I washed his car and drove around town listening to his Otis Redding CD's getting it ready for the funeral tomorrow, and I felt like I needed to share with you all why I even have a Z project...

Dad was a jet mechanic in the AF just before Vietnam and was a many things between that time and when I was born. As I grew up he was prodominatly a Dump Truck Driver here in OK, mosly hauling everything that had to do with building roads. He was probably one of the best in this area, and was usually given the title of leadman and looked to for guidence by his co-drivers.

As to his being responcible for my mechanical abilities... he FORCED me to help him fix anything and everything around the cars and house while I grew up. I hated just about every moment of it. In recent years I have grown to apretitate the fact that at the age of 10 he had me in the engine bay, literally, of vehicles getting things that he couldn't reach, and crawling under the house fixing busted pipes before I was in middle school. He made me change my own bike tires, and I did alot of those since curbs were my enemy :) After a while I was trying to fix stuff myself and taking things apart and he would always bring me something home from a thrift store or what ever to take apart and play with.

So I would just like to thanks, Dad, for what you have given me, a knowledge and respect for all things mechanical and for always letting me know that you love me an that he are proud of me. I know you wern't perfect, but who is. I love you and may you rest in peace.

Bill, Godspeed to your father, and may god give you strength in this time of need.

Having almost lost my father last year, I can tell you that I often wonder how I would have turned out without his guidance and wisdom... and now being step-parent to 2 children, I often wonder how my own father never came into my bedroom while I was asleep and taken his claw hammer to me! :D

Bill, Your stories of WHY you became a Zcar guy touch the heart... We're with you man! And you father will be watching you from a distance... Knowing that his time and patience paid in spades everytime you turn a wrench of fix an item around the house...

He's living on in you my friend! :wink:

Mike 8)

Bill,

May your father rest in peace and his memories never leave your heart.

I lost my father in 1992 when I was 28 so I can understand what you're going through. My dad was a similar mentor to me as yours was to you, always made me fix my own car and encouraged me to learn all I could about it. I miss him still today. There really isn't much that can be said so I'll just say that you are part of a family here and we're all here for you if you need to talk.

Wheelman

Sorry for the news. Your post is touching in that you tell much of why we are here. I'm not sure of your age, but your father was able to give you things that will be well used over time. Also, you'll feel close to him when you're working on projects, every build another monument to your dad's teachings. Good luck.

:burnout:

Brett

That is definately a touching story. Its hard to put myself in your shoes. My father is in florida(im in tejas) doing insurance adjusting, and is going to be away from the family for 5 months. He pu tme in charge of his business(im 19) and trusts me to take care of something he has brought up from nothing. I feel very proud that my dad thinks that much of me. abd now that hes gone i realize how much he really does do to make life easy for my family and i. I have to do everything he did now and its been a most valuable lesson in responsibility. i guess im trying to say its really hard being without a dad for a few months. I cant imagine what it would be like to lose him for the rest of my life.

bill...

i lost my father when i was 10. alot of his lessons were lost on me for years, but as i'm now a father myself i see the bigger picture. alot of the things you get from your parents are vague, not wearing the clothes of something that will stay with you and have a hand in molding what you became, but they do. and one day you look at it through different eyes and you just say thanks. it's a bit of a sad thanks because you didn't get it when you had the chance, but i think that for someone like me who didn't get that opportunity to know him like i wish i could've, it's just one big way to make sure we never forget... and one way they always stay with us.

even 17 years later, a tear drops my eye thinking about it... what i missed and what i didn't realize i had. wow... post getting difficult to write... :cry: but i know he's with me... and yours with you, bill... and wheelman... and all others who are missing the one who halfway put us here. i guess this post is just for all of them... really can't write anymore, just one big :cheers: to all of them. thank you, and we love you...bob

about the man that raised you. I have not always seen eye to eye with my father, but thank him for his patience every time I am able to fix something on my own.

I wish you the strength to make it through this rough time and to remember him for the wealth he gave you.

I'll give my 2 cents.

My father died when I was 3 and so I never got to know him. Somehow all my friends are from divorced familes (maybe that's by choice don't know). Anyway, sometimes I wonder if his death made him some sort of super hero in my mind. I've heard many things about dissapointments people have suffered through with abusive fathers, or dead beat dads, or divorces, and not that any of that would have happened, but if it did, would that be preferrable to having no father at all? I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have had no father than a bad one, and I think you all should really feel thankful for having a good father if even for a short time. I do.

well im very sorry to hear this Bill, i wish you and your family the best.

i might be only 21 but ive had to deal with alot of close calls with death when it comes to my father.

even as i type he is in with the Doctor talking about his next surgery to his heart ( 5th one :( )

at the age of 10 i almost lost him, then at the age of 16 it almost happened again. then again that very next year.

its very hard to talk about it but i know if that time ever comes ill remember him as the best man i ever known.

he might not have been the car guy i am, or the sports guy i was, but everything i have or know is because of him in some way.

he makes me want to be somebody in this world, just so he can be proud of me like im proud of him.

so trust me your father knows you miss him dearly and thank him for everything you know or can do. Fathers just know :cry::)

again i wish you the best man

mike

Bill,

We are ALL VERY sorry for your families loss. Obviously your Dad did A GREAT job in you.....in that you have learned SO WELL to appreciate so many things. Things that likely brought us ALL to this site to begin with ! I commend you on having the strengh to post this so soon to our eyes and comments. I tended to pull away when I lost Greta (my Fiance') and didn't reach out to others....BIG MISTAKE on my part.

This extension of Family and its values,friendships and willingness to help can make Life a little better,more so than we realize sometimes when we reach for each other on these keyboards !

God Bless you and yours.........I'm sure I'll meet you soon,Vince Cox

Wow, what a long and exhausting day! I have to say that the funeral really helped with closure.

Thank you ALL for your heartfelt replies! I know I have made some really great friends at this site, even though I have only met less than a handfull face to face :).

The last few days, in seeing his friends and family and hearing all the " 'ol Pete" stories, made me remember who he was before he was sick. He was a good guy with a good heart that had some hard times.

The funeral was a huge part of the closure. Afterwards we sat down with some of the people that he had grown up with and had coffe, and as they shared stories, I felt him there and got the sence that he was there, in the stories they told. The pain is gone from my heart and I know he is better off now.

Thanks again guy's.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Wow, Bill I'm sorry to hear this. I have been away from the board for a few weeks and I had missed this post. I am very sorry to hear this, I know this must have been a trying time in your life. I can only Echo what Z-Rex said as I lost my dad at 13 but I had many of the same exp. that most here had had by then. Take all that you and he have shared and treasure it for years to come, pass on what you feel you should and cherish the special times you had with him. I can say from exp. that the years to come will test you as you come to find yourself thinking "hey I have this problem and I think I will call dad to see what he thinks about a solution" only to realize you no-longer have that phone a friend option. I find myself thinking more and more each day as to what my life would be like today to have my dad still around, I know there has always been a part of me that seems to be missing since he passed and I am just glad for the time I had to spend with him.

I guess in my ramblings I am just trying to say keep your chin up and always keep your memories with you, no doubt you will miss him in your life. He was proud of you I am sure as you are a fine individual.

If you need anything just give me a call. I hope one of these days to have a little time to get back to my car and would be happy to give you a hand on yours in anyway I can. I know friends can't replace the one you have lost but sometimes it will help easy you through the next rough months.

Jeff

Bill,

Please accept my condolences, albeit late. Remember the good times and I promise the pain lessens over time. You will always have the memories. If you're feeling bad, emotionally please seek counseling. Believe me it works, I know because I too have lost somebody extremely close to me.

God bless you.

David

Remember my car is always here if you want to drive.

David