HybridZ

Anyway to increase steering angle?

MSA sells the quick steering knuckles

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=23-4181&Category_Code=PSDC11

Not really designed for what you are asking, but if they make the wheels turn "quicker" with the same steering wheel movement, then they might increase the overall turn.

Is this what you are asking?

BTW, I have heard these are twitchy on the street. The one quy I knew who had them said one lapse in concentration and you will find yourself in the next lane.

refering to when my friend is parked and turns his wheel all the way and the wheel is almost perpendicular to the car. Where as when I turn mine all the way it is a little disapointing. He has aftermarket tie rods, but ive also seen people use spacers, didnt know if anything like this exists for a z.

refering to when my friend is parked and turns his wheel all the way and the wheel is almost perpendicular to the car. Where as when I turn mine all the way it is a little disapointing. He has aftermarket tie rods, but ive also seen people use spacers, didnt know if anything like this exists for a z.

He has an S13 doesnt he... My car has them, Teins (I have a s13). Basicly those tie rod spacers are universal if you have the same thread pitch on the rack.

Here is the thing you need to check when putting in the spacers, will yours wheels hit the frame if its turned that much more. Will yours wheels even go perpendicular in the wheel well?

I tried posting this question before, I don't know what happened though.

How does a different tie rod change quicken the steering? Does it have a post that goes where the outer tie rod connects, then an actual tie rod in a relocated spot?

I couldn't get the jist from the picture you linked to before.

Got it, thanks. So basically you're adding length to the rack before putting on the inners. Or you're installing the inners farther out.

Doesn't that screw with bumpsteer? I had always thought that the steering pivots and the control arm pivots needed to be the same length in order to get rid of bumpsteer. Or are drifters just more concerned with being able to counter that much more rather than worrying about the bumpsteer.

Sure you can adjust the toe out. Here's the thing I'm stuck on. From a racing suspension site (circle track):

"With oval track cars, we can have additional complexities. As the questioner notes, it is common to use unequal-length steering arms on oval track cars, usually shorter on the left. In fact, this is the only way to get positive Ackermann on a front-steer stock car, unless the rules allow fabricated spindles and we accept a much larger scrub radius than we’d like. A shorter left steering arm only gives positive Ackermann when the wheels steer left, at the expense of exaggerating negative Ackermann when steering right. This is not an option when the turns go both ways."

Jon, I don't get it as well. A shortened steering rod (knuckle) is the only way I can conceive of a tighter angle unless this spacer allows the rack gear to move further left and right by extending the ends of the gear so that the stops are extended out as well?

hey guys. i have the s14. you guys are blowing it way out of proportion. all it is is a thick washer, maybe 1/3 1/2 cm thick, that goes over the inner tie rid end, where it threads into the rack. you seem to be confused. this mod dosent really quicken the steering wheel, like a low ratio rack, full lock is still the same (1.5 turns from center, on my car) but at full lock, the wheel has more angle, to the point where it hits the stopper on the wheel knuckle. It would probably turn even more if i moved the stopper.

obviously, if you have the steering rack turned all the way to one side, the wheel will have a certain amount of angle. now if you increase the length of the tie rod, the wheel will be turned that much more. pretty basic.

ps - the ones in that picture, the big black things, thread into the steering rack and then into the tie rod. thoes spacers are for fc3s. thoes spacers are freakin huge because in stock from fcs dont have very good steering angle. mine is just a washer that goes over the thread, so that it dosent thread in so far. hope that clears stuff up.