HybridZ

weight difference of 280 vs. 240...

FEnatic

Depends on what you are trying to achieve and what you consider "Light".

There are a few tricks that will lose 70-100 pounds fairly easily... Ditch the heavy (And some say UGLY) bumpers and bumper strut hardware and save a lot on BOTH ends of the car... And ditch the factory exhaust/ resonator/ pipes/ manifold.

The earliest (1970) 240Z weighed about 300# less than the latest (1978) 280Z is my guestimate, but I'm sure one of our info Junkies will belch out the right exact numbers!

Mike

Mike

I think the 1970 240z weighed about 600# less than the later 280z honestly. You could probably get the 280z to within 400# of the 240z pretty easily though. There was just a big thread here comparing 280z vs. 280zx that listed the weight of all models, I suggest looking around for it.

I've heard of people getting the 280's close the same weight of the 240s.. but it's not nesacarily 'safe' imo.. NO bumpers at all, no spare tire/jack/tools, removing inner braceing from doors, plexiglass side/rear windows, fiberglass fenders/hood/door skins, remove rear sway bar (as earlier 240's didnt have them anyway..) and yes, striping the interior.

Personally, unless you're planing on racing ONLY, I would not worry about making the 280 as 'light as possible' because an accident on the street in a car as 'stripped' as that would be deadly... I run no rear bumper (wasnt there at time of purchase), and a 240 front bumper on my 75 280..yes, 280 bumpers are UGLY, I have carbs instead of the FI (Fi was crap.. but I'm sure I lost some weight there with all the sensors, wiring, intake, ect!) and fiberglass front fenders.. only because the steel ones were rotted off!

This one really has been debated to death, but the beat goes on...

Keep in mind that when doing the V8 swap, the 240 will tend to gain weight when beefing up various components (such as swapping the R180 for the R200). Also, weight removed from the 280 as part of the swap will be larger than weight removed from the 240.

So, the weight difference between the two will converge (slightly) as part of the V8 hybrid conversion.

While I can’t cite hard data on unibody weight, I’d estimate that a stripped 280Z unibody outweighs a stripped 240Z unibody by around 100 lbs. That can be thought of as the minimum weight different between the two, short of resorting to metal shears and sawz-all.

i got my 77 (heaviest along with the 78) to 2580lbs, with really not alot done..

also remember i have a turbo motor, fmic, 3inch exhaust, a/c, air dam, etc etc etc...

all i had done was no bumpers, supports, FD rx7 seats, no spare, but when i weighed it i had tools in the back and about a half a tank of gas.

NOW i added a heavier fmic and piping but i now have no spare, Sparco Sprint driver seat, no a/c at all, and a few other little things i did to make it lighter.

i have lighter enkei 92 wheels too..

mike

My '78 280Z, gutted, with sheet metal removed here and there, no bumpers, no dash, and not much of anything except a roll cage, weighed in at 2725 with a 454 with cast-iron heads. This was on race-scales under each tire. Since then I added a 240Z rear bumper, a passenger seat, headlights and some gauges, but removed more sheet metal and gutted the doors. With aluminum heads (big weight savings on BBC's) I'm hoping for 2650 lbs

I've got a pair of RX7 seats in my Z also. However, I'll be removing them in a few weeks (got a deal on some Recaros), so I can try and see about scaring up a scale. They don't offhand seem heavier or lighter than any other car seat, but they do hug really well.