HybridZ

car ramp made out of brick and pavers

zliminator

Well, I used 4 of those all last winter to hold up my car as I worked on it.. I set them on sheets of plywood (on dirt, in my 'portable garage' in the backyard.) and put 2x8 lumber on top of them which the car sat on. Do NOT use them on their side (Ie through holes parallel to the ground) but stand them as they are in that pic. I also had two jack stands under the front end at the t/c rod area (just behind them actually, where there was somewhat of a 'frame' left) You have to be careful not to drop the car on them too hard, and make sure they are SQUARE cause they can tip as well as crumble. It'll work, you just have to be carefull. :)

I definitely agree with Tim240Z on this...BE CAREFUL! Those bricks can crumble easily, regardless of the way they are placed. I have seen people use them for holding up lifted trucks (yes heavier, but still the same) because their jack stands are not tall enough. I have done it myself when in a crunch. I would highly recommend making something out of wood instead, maybe use a railroad tie or other large peice of lumber. It is not worth being crushed by your car!

Joshua

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I have PERSONALLY met a man who had an "incident" under a car that had its two front wheels sitting on two cinder blocks.

He said it sat like that for months with no problems. Then he was underneath and he had a buddy sit in the car and turn the key, and as soon as the guy sat down the blocks busted and the car fell on him. The crossmember smashed his head between itself and the ground and busted his face up pretty bad... he wears an eye patch and his face droops. He also broke is shoulder and some ribs.

You couldn't PAY me to lay under your car... and I'm a risktaking redneck!

Use a bunch or 4x4's stacked together... or railroad ties if you can find them.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I have said it on here before, it is not a pretty site to see someone dead under their car. I know I have seen it before. A 16 year old crushed by his NASCAR style race truck.

He was working alone in his garage and using only a hydro-jack. The jack slipped and the truck came down on his neck and crushed him.

Bad thing is the kid had about 8 sets of jack stands lined up against the back wall of his garage when this happened. It was a sad thing to see.

Be careful I have also been told about the crubling block issue before.

Guest 240zJake

Fill the blocks with cement and rebar and off set the joints, then it will be safe. My house is held up by these blocks, so use CORRECTLY they are perfectly safe

My friend dropped his car on himself once. He was stuck under it until his wife found him. He was using a spare tire jack to change the oil. Luckily he made it out ok (lots of cushion for the pushing)

I've seen some pretty crazy stuff happen working on vehicles... and it all goes through my head when I jack up a car.

I get it placed on jack stands, then shake the car around to see if it will move at all. I'd much rather dump it off the stands then instead of having it fall on me later.

Good move not getting under it until you make it safer. Great idea, just needs some work.

I must say I like your inginuity(sp?) and your want to make life easier for you and working on your Z. Most definetly though, you want to use something that wont give way without warning like thos bricks

At the very least fill them and sure them up with concrete. Be careful and take the suggestions that others have mentioned.

DO NOT USE THE BLOCKS!!!!!!! in my younger years I was working on my 56 corvette (in the basement late at night by myself) the blocks supported the axles,no wheels as I was working on the chunk. Both blocks broke and the axle fell on my chest. I freaked,!!! when I finely squeezed out I called it a great night and cleaned up.I HAVE JACK STANDS (lots) ,RAMPS TOO ,AND 3 JACKS AND I USE THEM!!!!!

TRICK Z

• 9 months later...