HybridZ

Blue twin turbo Z?

Guest dancaprar

Guest dancaprar

Does anybody know where I can find some pics of a twin turbo z that was posted on this site a WHILE ago? It had slightly blueish headlights, friggen' awesome rear flares and i guess it was a twin turbo. It was done in japan and the two pics were taken in a garage with a few asian looking individuals standing around. Very high quality($$$$$$$) look to it. Anybody know what I am talking about?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dancaprar

At least a dyno chart would be nice though. Oh well I guess I need to get in direct contact with that site and see if they can help a brother out....yo.

Guest JAMIE T

If you're going through the trouble of making tranny adapters why not make it use a T56 or something like that? Don't give none of that "Nissan" crap neither.

because one has already been made and can easily be made again but to be worth the machinists time he'll need about 10 orders.

also, the Z32 flywheel bolts right up to the VH so you can just buy the whole Z32 flywheel and clutch kit and bolt it up. the nice thing about keeping the Z32 tranny is you don't have to do any clutch disc changes to match up the splines. just bolt it all in a go. also, the gear ratios of the Z32 tranny match this engine very well.

also, i'm a very big borg warner hater. i never want to own anything with the borg warner name on it ever. my maxima has a borg warner tranny and it has given me nothing but headaches as has many other maxima owners.

seriously... who puts bearings in a tranny that are only rated to spin up to 5,800 rpm when the engine can rev to 6,000-6,200 rpm? doesn't seem like much but try telling that to all of the maxima people who's input shaft bearings continually break with only stock power output... putting a turbo on mine makes it a whole new story.

bought the maxima and the input shaft bearing was broke. figured i'd rebuild it but it was ran too long with the broken bearing and a piece of aluminum broke off that the throwout bearing slides on. bought another tranny to throw in it... get it in the car... turns out that bearing is broken, up to bearing two now. get a rebuild kit and throw it in there. everything works good. now, the thing is broken again. (this was all before boost 08eek.gif) on top of that i aquired a tranny from another maxima guy and that one had a broken input shaft bearing as well.

basically, borg warner will never be getting any of my support any time soon. lol

Mtcookson,

What year of Maxima do you have. I have never heard about this bearing isue (don't really research the Maxima stuff though). The only thing I have heard is about a throw-out bearing noise on startup...which mine ('99 SE Limited 5-Speed) has.

I intend on doing nothing to mine other than drive and maintain it...so I am not really worried about breaking it...

Joshua

Its a 90. The 89-94 (3rd generation) Maximas seem to always have troubles with these bearings. The 92-94 SE 5-speed is supposed to be a bit stronger but they still brake a lot as well since the bearings in it are supposed to handle about 6,200 rpm... when the engine can rev to 6,500 rpm.

The auto trannies are a whole other story... they are even weaker.

Its not that I don't believe the T56 is a good tranny or isn't strong, because it does seem to be quite stout, its just that I'm so tired of Borg Warner that I don't ever want to give them any of my money. lol

You shouldn't have to worry about yours. I've not heard of any issues with the newer trannies except from the boosted guys breaking gears due to lots of power. lol

Well it sounds like a design flaw in that SPECIFIC tranny... I can tell from first hand experience that BW makes an EXCELLENT 5 speed and their T56 stands on the legs of many race wins in the Viper, Vette, Mustang, and Fbody ranks... Not to mention the numbers of BW trannies in truck applications...

Sorry, but this sounds like a model specific issue...

Mike

The early F-bodies had main bearing problems with the T56 also. The PO of my Z28 said that the dealership did that T56 upgrade when he had the clutch done (convenience as the 'box was out). Maybe it was the Dealership booking for more work, but I don't think so....