HybridZ

I now have the rare 3.36 R200... but it's an open diff.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I got an R200 with 3.36 gears from a '79 ZX (for free). It's an open diff. I don't think I'll be able to put the power to the ground through one wheel.

Is there a way to convert it to LSD without losing the ratio? I've searched and searched, and so far the highest LSD ratio I've found is 3.70, and that's just too much gear for a turbo V8.

I'm considering swapping in a Ford 8.8 rear end, but I'd like to give the IRS a try first.

Any info?

This weekend I installed a clutch style LSD out of an 89 Turbo R200 into my 3:36 R200. If you have 10 stainless steel bushings (10mmID/12mmOD, I think) it is a straight bolt in. I bought the bushings from a HYBRIDZ member. I took photos of the process and if I ever learn how to post, I'll send them up. The joy of small wrecking lots out in the desert is everything shows up sooner or later. Yep, got the Knell book, went out the the local boneyard, pulled both the 3:36 R200 and the brackets in an afternoon. Paid $50.00 and figured that collecting all the parts would be easy. Took another 3 years to find a 89Turbo LSD. Still paid only $75.00. By the way, if anyone out there is interested, I have a line on a long neck R200 in an Infinity M30. These are advertised with LSD, but another member reports no lsd, but four spider gears. I've no idea of the ratio.

g

There are several places that sell clutch type LSD units in the $500 to $600 range. Might have to drop a few hundred more to get it installed into an existing open diff if you are like me and intimidated by that sort of thing. No reason to sell children.

The only real advantage to a stock JY find is to save $$. But since most JY's seem to know what those things are worth, I would think a new one is a much better path than buying a used one that probably needs rebuilding anyway.

Just an FYI

I am having the 3.36 gear set installed into an 87 LSD carrier. An interesting (note: getting expensive) thing I found is that the outer pinion bearing area of the 3.36 has a larger diameter than that of the 3.70 pinion. I figured, "while I was at it", I would have all the bearings and seals replaced in the LSD. After getting the wrong size outer pinion bearing 3 times from Nissan for the 3.36 pinion gear, I took both pinions to a machine shop and had the 3.36 outer pinion bearing area machined down to that of the 3.70 diameter. I can't imagine why the outer pinion bearings wouild be different sizes. I wish I had bought the whole diff and not just the gear set, it would have saved money and headaches to have just swapped the carrier and left the gear set alone.

Grrrr

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
the LSD Carrier does not change the gearing of the differential

Okay, so all I need is the LSD carrier and I have a 3.36 LSD. Thanks.

Dangit! How are you guys finding the 3.36??? I look and I look... some people have all the luck

Mine was given to me by someone who swapped it for a 3.90. If I ever swap to a solid axle, I'll advertise my 3.36 on here.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

If I were using a n/a V8, I'd go with a 3.70 or 3.90 and an OD tranny, but I'm using a turbocharged V8, and I think it'll like a tall gear. Not to mention traction in first gear with 3.90's would be nil.

I wonder how many of the oddball 3.36 R200 ZX's they made?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
There are several places that sell clutch type LSD units in the $500 to $600 range.

I checked out Motorsport and the two that they sell are $1500! Where can I get an aftermarket one for cheap? Is the stock LSD from an 87+ turbo a good piece?

Any idea where I can get the adapter bushings to bolt it in?

CarQuest had all the bearings, but the one Nissan refers to as the 'pilot bearing". This is a ball bearing unit next to the u-joint yoke. This I could find only at Courtesy Nissan in Texas: something around $40.00. The CarQuest units were all identical to the OEM Nissan units and about 50% of the cost. By identical, I mean the races were stamped with the same number and maker. (I think "NSK").

Do a search on "stainless steel" "bushings" and "lsd" on this forum. There's a fair sized thread with names, sources, and sizes of stainless steel seamless tube.

g

I checked out Motorsport and the two that they sell are $1500! Where can I get an aftermarket one for cheap? Is the stock LSD from an 87+ turbo a good piece?

Any idea where I can get the adapter bushings to bolt it in?

J Mortenson (sp?) once posted a link selling a "power brute" unit that went for $550. I have also seen links to the Kaaz website that had carriers around the same price. I think the Kaaz was for a 240sx, but the guys in one HybridZ thread were saying they should fit in an R200. Then there are the Nismo units that list at something like $750 new.

Poke through some old threads. The motorsport units are probably Quaiffes. Those are the torque biasing (ATB) gleason-torsen type LSD's and not clutch types. That is what I would be buying if I wasn't so cheap.

From what I understand, the stock turbo units are fine. Used ones are just hard to find and you need to make sure the clutches aren't worn out.

I got that link from Savage42, but it is http://www.differentials.com. Kaaz looks to be a better design with more clutch plates in it, but cheapest I've seen was ~$800, although I didn't look too hard.

As to the bushings, zgeezer is right. Been discussed to death, but the basic gist is get a stick of stainless tubing 12mm OD 10mm ID and cut little pieces of to match the thickness of the carrier flange. Deburr the ends, and just put these new bushings you've made in the holes and put your bolts in. Ring gear bolt spacers done.

And thanks to gad and geezer for confirming the bearings are still available.

I have the R200 3.70 LSD in my Z right now.I also have 2 - 3.54s from turbo ZX's. I would like to put the clutch pack from the 3.70 in the 3.54 gearset. Should I just get the clutch pack put in the 3.54 diff? or do I have to get all of the gears taken out of the 3.54 diff and put them in the 3.70 diff casing.

Just changing the carrier and reusing the ring and pinion is BY FAR the easier way.

Usually the backlash stays the same too, so you can even reuse the shims that come out of the 3.54 case. So the procedure is: Remove open carrier. Remove ring gear. Remove LSD. Remove it's ring gear. Put 3.54 ring gear on LSD carrier with ring gear spacers, reinstall in 3.54 housing with 3.54 shims. Check backlash.

That's it.