HybridZ

Pics of my 79zx ...Finally!

Chewievette

Guest comeandzpa

Yeouch...you're a braver man than I. That's one heck of a project to tackle...are you sure you don't want, say, oh I don't know, an '81 N/A automatic in much better shape? Not that I happen to have one for sale or anything. It's funny how what one person considers to be too much to work on another person considers an intriguing side project.

Yeouch...you're a braver man than I. That's one heck of a project to tackle...are you sure you don't want, say, oh I don't know, an '81 N/A automatic in much better shape? Not that I happen to have one for sale or anything. It's funny how what one person considers to be too much to work on another person considers an intriguing side project.

Well I got it for free, so I'm not complaining. If I can save it that means there's one less ZX to send to the scrapper. I'd rather have a manual anyways. :)

Dude, you are gona have some battle scars fixin that one! :lol: Doesn't look as bad as, well... MOST of the cars I've had! I'd definatly do a subframe, and make sure those strut towers aren't rotted too bad.. aside from some clean up though, its not too bad for free! Are those panasport rims on it!?? Heh.. good luck man, have fun!

Dude, you are gona have some battle scars fixin that one! :lol: Doesn't look as bad as, well... MOST of the cars I've had! I'd definatly do a subframe, and make sure those strut towers aren't rotted too bad.. aside from some clean up though, its not too bad for free! Are those panasport rims on it!?? Heh.. good luck man, have fun!

Well I did want a project car...

I'm planning a tube chassis for it and a few other goodies, basically when I get done with it there will be maybe one or two parts from the original car.

If you draw a line about two feet off the ground all the way around the car you'll be hard pressed to find anything other than surface rust above it. That includes the strut towers by the way.

I havn't a clue what kind of rims they are but I know that I love them and I still have yet to see another like them, with the 'copper' spokes.

100_5801.jpg

Holy bejesus!:shock: I agree with Tim, that looks like waaaaaaaay too much rust repair that is needed! Not to mention trying to piece together the interior. That free car is going to cost waaaaaaay more than say $2000-$3000 good to great condition 280ZX will in the long run.

Trust me if you plan to keep the interior of that car(not go full custom) the car is already not even close to free. Interior pieces are very expensive if you want new or close to new condition parts.

But if your just going to put a full custom interior, fiberglass body panels, and a tube frame under it............then I say you got a winner! :lol:

Guy

I held off posting in this thread because I wasn't sure if you were serious or not.

Gotta agree with all the guys above. The rust and interior on that car make putting any money into it a very hard sell. If the one or two parts you plan to keep are the gas cap and maybe shifter knob, then maybe you are headed in the right direction.

Just one man's opinion.

Chewie - I sympathize with you as I see you are located in Michigan...harsh winters, damp moist climate, salty roads in the winter...so chances of finding a rust free Z ZX is almost non-existant. I lived in Ontario, Canada for over 15years and see what a few winters can do to perfectly good car.

If you are set in restoring that car and you are a great welder and hand person, then go for it...otherwise spend the extra $$ and get a clean rust free car from the West, Florida, Texas etc etc...

You have a LONG, UPHILL battle to fight to bring that car back, but good luck if you have your heart set on it.

Yasin

I second what Yasin said. I am also in Michigan. I sold a 77 Z with a 350 conversion completed because of rust (became Andrew Baileys hulk). I went to Orlando to get my ZX. My ZX is not show quality but it is rust free, original paint and all. I have done nothing to the body...yet.

But if your just going to put a full custom interior, fiberglass body panels, and a tube frame under it...

That's exactly what I'm going to do to it! I'm going to replace the rockers and floor pans with new metal and the doors and front fenders will be replaced. Every other part that has rust will be cut off and replaced with fiberglass.

I've seen worse... That looks like a fun project. It's going to look like that 5 years after the new body and paint job anyway, I say make it a Rat-Rod and forget about the rust.

God I hope not! After the resto it's basically going to be a show car, no winter driving and no rain. I thought about doing a rat rod, no one would suspect it to have a v12!! Muhahaha...