HybridZ

240SX dash swap????

dat240zg

Anyone tried this? I have a line on a complete dash, parts, etc. and was just wondering if anyone has already gone down this path. I recognize that there would be a significant amount of fabbing and cutting to make it work, but it might be cool.

Any thoughts, pics, insults, etc?

Bryan

Dat240zg

This has been done several times. SR240Z (Vildini Motorsports) has done an amazing job of fitting an S13 dash into the S30. IIRC they had to shorten each side by roughly 1.5 - 2.0" and the front by 6". I would suggest PM'ing SR240Z. Alex and his father are great guys and can definately point you in the right direction.

http://www.vildinimotorsport.com/

Pic of dash:

http://www.sr240z.com/srpictures/20.jpg

I can tell you, though, that they had to widen the trans tunnel to get the center console to fit correctly. Bear in mind that if you are a tall driver, like me, this may cut down on some of your leg room. I didn't get a chance to sit in the Vildini car (d'oh) to verify this, though... so it's only conjecture.

• 1 year later...

what ive never figured out is how the handbrake works. THe z has it on the left side (near the passanger) and the 240sx has it on the driver side. So do u need to use the 240sx handbrake? and if so DO u also use the 240sx hand brake lines and modify them to fit the 240z? or can u use the 240z brake lines modified to fit the 240sx hand brake.

The RHD and LHD versions (just like the S30, S130, ....) have the handbrake on the same side.

Short of going the Line-Lock method (not technically street legal as an "emergency brake"), the fabrication of moving the transfer bar from the tunnel right to left should be pretty straightforward. Would take some welding on the handbrake lever, and some elementary cutting of the tunnel to let the bar though, but it's under cover anyway so nobody would know/see the modifications.

I know I for one would notice the brake handle moved to the other side, especially if it were functional!

On an aside, the line lock is a nice anti-theft item if you have the locking swtich. Short of someone with skates and a tow truck of some sort, it doesn't move!

Oh, this is for the use of the S30 E-Brake under-car components. What brake handle you choose to put on the crossbar through the tunnel is up to you---I would probably go with the SX unit as it would match, the "ratchet" mechanisim is a bit smoother as well...

Basically you use the stuff insdie the tunnel from the S30, and mate it with a stubshaft to the external to the tunnel 240SX stuff. The ratchet mechanisim may need some massaging and swapping between the two to make it totally functional.

Huh! Intresting thread, i allways had this question for Alex with the dash coversion, WHY??? I could see it being cool and all but the S30 dash is so much better, other then the center consule and the amont of work that you have to put in it. Well any how wasnt there a guy on here name Amir that build his own dash? That one looked cool. I mean unless youre going to do RHD conversion from whatever it will be S30, S130 or 240sx. I think its just of waste of time, since you got to relocate the handbrake and cut the dash. Just make a custom dash then like some of the customers from Vildini.

why do people do V8, V12, RB swaps and all that into Zs: to be unique and have something different. The 240sx dash gives the car a much newer feeling when you are inside.

I don't know if this is an answer to my post but, if it is, I just want to say that I was in no way against the idea of the 240 sx dash. When I said "why no just..." I meant istead of trying to relocate the e-brake lever or having line-locks, would it be possible to build an hydrolic system?

oh no no, i didnt feel you were bashing on the dash so no worries there. It was more intended for hotimport, not you alex

But yea it is definitely possible to adapt your own hydraulic hand brake system to run with whatever rear calipers you have if they have the e-brake option.

no worries man, and yes it was a pain in the a$$ and definitely does take some time and massaging

But in my opinion it would be worth it. I seen ur car at msa and instantly fell in love. THe way it just modernizes the z (which is my goal with my car) and wraps around u. I love it and will be doin something similar in the future.

what ive never figured out is how the handbrake works. THe z has it on the left side (near the passanger) and the 240sx has it on the driver side. So do u need to use the 240sx handbrake? and if so DO u also use the 240sx hand brake lines and modify them to fit the 240z? or can u use the 240z brake lines modified to fit the 240sx hand brake.

If you look under the tunnel... the Z actually has the cable run down the driverside (ebrake) just the handle is on the passenger... it wouldn't be very hard at all to switch sides.