HybridZ

Sold my 93 Rx7/ now planing a 240Z/LS1

Guest Drive-ability

Guest Drive-ability

Cars come and go and I will miss the styling but not the engine package. So now its time to fine a 240Z that’s in good enough condition to start with. I was thinking I can find one in Southern California under 3K that does not have tons of rust. I have been looking and most of the good ones are closer to 5K and up. What did you guys pay for your cars and what condition was it in?

Guest 240zJake

When I still lived in Louisiana my dad worked with a guy that drove a 240z back and forth to work.

Light-moderate rust in the usual areas and three 4 inch holes in the floor. Crappy paint, worn tires, hole in drivers seat, needed new carpet, cracks in dash, but ran well.

The rear bearing kept going out on the guy so my dad bought it for 200 dollars when it broke his last nerve.

But Im pretty sure mines not typical.:D

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

There's a mint one for sale local to me for $2500obo... roll cage and Tokico 5-ways included.

I bought one with SOME underbody rust, but nothing bad, for $2000.

Be patient but persistant and you'll find one.

I picked up my 75 280 for $800. Pretty rusty, FI was craping out, and interior pretty trashed. Mind you I live up in Canada and to even FIND a Z still mobile was hard.. If I'd had the resources at the time, I would have gone to the southern states and towed home a rust free shell/partial car for twice that price.. just to aliviate the stress and time it took me to put her back together.

280Z's are much cheaper and easier to find than 240Z's. When I lived in Los Angeles (1995-2000) I'd regularly find in the Recycler newspaper ads for 280Z's (confirmed by later seeing the car in person) in reasonable condition (minor rust, cracked dash, worn interior, but runs OK) for $1500 or so, and often under $1000. Really nice ones sold for around $2500. 240Z's were a completely different story. Rustbuckets with gallons of Bondo cost $1500, and decent cars were $3000 and up. Since then, 240Z's have appreciated, but 280Z's probably have not.

Guest Drive-ability

I would like to go with a 280Z but wouldn't that have to be smogged. Here in Ca. its every two years etc. The 240Z is not on the list at all to be tested.

Guest Drive-ability

This is what I found on the state web site. I though it was 1973 and older but...

"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or vehicles 30 model years old or older. Starting April 1, 2005, the smog exemption for vehicles 30 model years old or older will end. After that date all 1975 and older vehicles will be exempt from smog certification requirements."

If that is true and I see there no reason now to doubt it, that makes a huge difference to me. I can find a car much easier. I will check in to the subject a bit more but that’s great news. Thanks for the heads up.

I paid $3200 for my 70 240. All original. The guy had just finished rebuilding it for his wife when she decided she wanted a bigger car.

Fresh paint, perfectly straight body, no rust, rebuilt engine, 5 speed tranny upgrade, vented hood. The guy had a buddy who worked for a Nissan dealer. He had the guy replace all the weatherstripping, decals, dash and recover the seats. The only thing that was missing was the 240Z emblem on the glove box.

Basically a perfect 240.

Did I mention that was in 1989 in LA?

Guest Drive-ability

My view is I may have to spend a bit more in Ca. I think I will just take my time finding the car and get everything I need in the mean time. Now, 260Z were made in 74-75 ?? I think that’s right. I guess not to many were made so there will be less around but it will help out a bit.

• 2 weeks later...