HybridZ

lsd ? yes/no

Guest MrBlonde

If no one has ever changed the diff in it, I would say yes, you have a LSD in her.

The fastest way for you to check it is, jack up the rear (both rear wheels) and spin a wheel. If they both spin the same direction, you gotta LSD.

If one does not spin, or if one turns the oppisite way, you have a open diff..

Yah but dont some 'LSD' diffs still spin one wheel the other way doing this test? I had an 85 200sx with lsd, and if I jacked up the rear end and spun a tire, the oposite tire would go the other way. BUT; I did some ah... testing in parking lots and dirt roads and found that one wheel would spin for a moment and THEN the other would kick in. IE; One burn out mark would start, and about 2 feet away the other would spin... Two black marks, but one was always longer. It was interasting when making sharp turns at intersections as it would act like an 'open' diff (spinning the rear out, typical throttle overstear) and suddenly 'kick' and go straight. In winter or heavy rain, it would actually push the front tires (understear) sometimes..

Has anyone used a Phantom Grip? In Sport Compact Car they used it in one of their project cars.

The Phantom Grip is complete crap and for $300 it's an expensive piece of crap.

For $250 more you can get a Precision Gear Power Brute from Reider Racing and have a real LSD.

Yah but dont some 'LSD' diffs still spin one wheel the other way doing this test? I had an 85 200sx with lsd, and if I jacked up the rear end and spun a tire, the oposite tire would go the other way. BUT; I did some ah... testing in parking lots and dirt roads and found that one wheel would spin for a moment and THEN the other would kick in. IE; One burn out mark would start, and about 2 feet away the other would spin... Two black marks, but one was always longer. It was interasting when making sharp turns at intersections as it would act like an 'open' diff (spinning the rear out, typical throttle overstear) and suddenly 'kick' and go straight. In winter or heavy rain, it would actually push the front tires (understear) sometimes..

That would be a Viscous LSD or VLSD.

Guest bastaad525

That sounds like a pretty worn out viscous unit if I"m not mistaken... the snot fluid in there that actually provides the limited slip action is all worn out and takes longer to expand and grip.

I am using the viscous, and if I jack up my car and spin one wheel with the car in neutral the other spins the same direction, if I oput the car in gear and spin one wheel it takes a lot more work and the other wheel goes backwards, and the Z31 only got viscour on the 88SS (aka: 88SE, Shiro, White) they were all white, with white wheels and recaro seats, and they didn't make many of them

Guest MrBlonde
Jeromio's site has a doc on there with the LSD years in it. Hey' date=' if you have a white 88 you might have something special on your hands.

http://240z.jeromio.com/faqdraft/

I know what I have. Yeah, it's an 88 white with white rims. The SS edition. How many of them were there made? And what are the differences from the normal turbo 300z?

VLSD doesn't actively reduce tire spin. It doesn't do anything to prevent tire spin until one side starts spinning. When one side spins it creates hydraulic pressure that drives the other side.

CLSD uses the torque on the driveline to compress a clutch stack to drive both wheels. More torque = more lockup. The clutch type is preferred in autoxing and road racing over the VLSD, but lately I've been getting the impression that the VLSD is preferred for huge amounts of torque in a drag car. Probably less shock to the driveline since there is a fluid coupling there rather than a clutch stack.

This site has a thorough explanation of them all: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Guest MrBlonde

The differentials are swappable though, right? I don't think I'm going to keep this VLSD, because my primary interest is autox and gymkhana drifting. how much work would be involved in swapping in a CLSD?

Well you might want to try it before you just take it out. You can also change to a thicker fluid which makes it more aggressive.

Swapping should be no big deal as long as the CV bolt pattern is the same on the outside end of the CV. Just get a new diff and CV's from a 87-89 and pop it in. Swapping the LSD out of that housing is a little different and you'll want to avoid doing that if you can. It can be done, but the CV's don't work and there might be issues with the ring gear bolts being too large. I want to say the VLSD has 13mm bolts which means you'd have to redo the holes in the carrier or swap the ring and pinion, at which point you'd probably be better off getting the CLSD diff and CV's in the first place.