HybridZ

Don't Amor All the entire tire, moron!

auxilary

Guest Anonymous

Armor-All on your tread and driving in wet weather is a suicidal idea at best. Yes, the coating on the tread contact surfaces will wear off in a matter of moments BUT it also soaks down in the tread and sipes, then migrates to the surface under centrifical force. Even more bad news. As the tire heats up, the compound soaks into the rubber, creating permanent slick spots. Armor All isn't just a coating, it's a penetrant as well. How do I know this? Dirt bike riders have been using this stuff for years to keep mud from packing up in our knobby tires, wheels, airboxes and such. Granted, knobbies aren't the best on pavement, but an Armor All'd knobby will dump you on your tookus in a heartbeat.

agreed. the armor all would have been rubbed off really quick by driving out the driveway, and probably faster since it was wet outside. what a dummy-crashing in a right turn, those are the easily corrected ones, probably was going way to hard over his driving ability, way to wreck a nice new car.

I once had a friend play a "joke" on me - poured some Armor All on my rear tires of my Mustang. Had to make a quick trip to the bank from the store I worked at and needed to cross about 4 lanes of traffic to get in th efar left and pull into the bank - it was nearly across the street..

Well, not knowing about the Armor All I see a break in traffic pull out and goose it a little to squirt across. Tires FRIED and I was all over the place! I swear if they had put motor oil on my tires it woudl have been NO worse. The car was driving like the ass end was on a bananna peel and I was barely able to make it to the bank in one piece. I thought that perhaps I';d driven through something or that there was oil on the road so I didn't check the tires - holding about $12K in cash in my hands tended to cause me to walk quickly too. Later my friend joked with me about it and asked me if "I noticed"! I nearly killed the SOB for being so stupid! twak.giftwak.gif

I don't think a car would be that bad with armor all on the tread. I mean it would be worn off the tread in a mile or two wouldn't it.

The morons are the motorcycle riders that do it. Ride it straight and it wears off and feels good but then lean it into a corner on the uncleaned tread (cleaned of armor all) that is when the fun starts.

My guess it was the newness of the tires and his not being used to them. I don't know.

I dunno guys.....unless he put a crap load of Armor All on the tread area and left it overnight to 'soak in', I bet that the stuff was gone before he got out of his driveway. More likely he was trying to get the ass-end to step out. The fact that he was driving in the rain and with the traction control turned off make me think that he was just a little too enthusiastic going around the turn. I have put tire shine stuff on the tread surface before (for a show) and I can tell you that it's gone in about 5 rotations of the tire on the road.

So yes he is a moron for driving way beyond his ability and wrecking out, but I doubt the armor all had anything to do with it.

Tim

I was at a car wash one day and noticed a guy cleaning his motorcycle. I saw him putting some on his bike... Also saw him put it on the side of the tire.....the side of the TREAD....

Needless to say, he took off out of the car wash and laid it down about 50 feet from the entrance making a turn....

ahhhh. the power of natural selection twak.gif

Excellent point Cody. New tires need at least 100 to 200 miles on them before they are 'broken in'. If the tires have a high Natural Rubber content (most of the high end ones do), as opposed to synthetic rubber, that break in period is quite a bit longer due to the natural rubber 'oils' seeping out, especially if they have been on a shelf for a long time. Also keep in mind that new tires will never handle as well as older worn tires (in the Dry!).

Tim

Originally posted by Cody 82 ZXT:

I'd love to have an IS300.

If you're happy with your ZXT, you'd probably fall asleep in an IS300. I've driven every Lexus made (except for the SUV) and while they're as competent as any other Toyota product and are very comfortable, they don't excite the senses. If you're going into one from a Lincoln Town Car, I'm sure it seems quite sporty. From a Z, it's a snoozer.

They aimed for the BMW 3-series with the IS300 and performance wise, they hit their mark. But the car still isn't FUN like the BMW is.

Perhaps it's just the FWD character coming through, I dunno.

Guest Anonymous

My moronic ex-sister-in-law is a bit of a clean freak. She helped my ex wash her ranger truck and armor all'ed everything in the interior. Including the pedals! Talk about stupid, the ex was lucky she didn't slip off the brake pedal and kill herself. In retrospect.... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

IMHO I have found Armor All has a tendecy to dry out vinyl badly causing premature cracking if the applications are not repeated often enough and leave fish eyes in new paint jobs if the substance is not removed prior to re-painting and is almost impossible to remove completely.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! :D Seriously ArmorAll type products are the last thing you want to put on tires, let alone brake pedals and steering wheels bonk.gif I should know, as a Manufacturers Rep, I sell speciality chemicals for the automotive industry! By the way, if anyone is interested in detail products for their vehicles, just let me know.

Mark 2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif2thumbs.gif