HybridZ

Flywheel went boom.

Guest Jason84NA-T

Guest Jason84NA-T

Stock flywheel, no modifications made to it.

I now believe the clutch actually is what caused it. This would not be the first reported case of a centerforce 2 clutch having the friction material seperate from the hub.

WOW.... That sucks. Glad you are alright! The energy stored in a flywheel is incredible. Angular acceleration is Velocity squared divided by radius and the kinetic energy is Mass x Velocity squared divided by two. At 7K rpm a 30 lb flywheel has a massive quantity of energy. I've heard of guys loosing feet or legs to this type of failure.

This should be an example to the rest of the guys that this can and does periodically happen.

I've got a SFI flexplate, but I don't have a tranny blanket. HMMMM......

Jason - Wow...that is carnage to the nth degree, I guess we are all going to echo the "glad you are fine" sentiments as your comrades over at z31.com

So it looks like you will need:

1) New tranny - or just the bellhousing and input shaft?

2) New starter

3) New manifold - one side?

4) Downpipe and exhaust damage

5) Clutch and flywheel

6) Looks like a bunch of lines got pinched too...some pretty tricky ones to get too?

7) Looks like some harness got severed too?

Do you think you have to pull the engine out to get the repairs done?

The list of parts can add up quickly (price wise), especially if you go with an exotic clutch and flywheel. But looks like you have quite a few weekends of work ahead of you. I hope you have some great friends that can loan you some extra arms.

Good luck and please keep us posted as many of us on here do not visit z31.com

Regards - Yasin

• 1 month later...
Guest Jason84NA-T

Thanks for the concern guys.

Update from a while back:

http://www.z31.com/board/read.php3?id=670438&srf=nein

I managed to get it all back re-assembled with:

63K mile 88T transmission

Used OE 88T flywheel

Spec stage 3 clutch

Complete 250K mile 88T longblock (runs great)

I had to replace the engine for a few reasons. One being the ears broken off the block, all the transmisison-engine bolts being sheared off, one of the flywheel bolts holes being slightly tweaked, two exhaust manifold studs (ARP grade 18.8 stainless) sheared off, two flat out ripped out of the head (I'll have to weld and re-tap or simply replace the head... these were heads I spent countless hours doing a quality port job on, valve grind, etc etc), passenger side manifold almost broken in half.... spare replacement starter, slave cyl, clutch line, oxygen sensor. The list goes on and on.

It only took me 8 days of working my butt off, by myself, in the hot sun.

The car is not quite as fast as it was before, even at 20PSI. The SPEC stage 3 clutch has started slipping 80-90% of the time; I want my "magic" centerforce back. Between the higher compression, head work, cams and adjustable cam gears it probably had 50-60HP more in the same configuration compared to this bone stock engine. The engine only burns a little oil. I would consider it a get-me-by until I have the $ to buy and build a VG33 for it anyway, so I'm not super concerned.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I feel your pain! A similar thing happened to me 6 years ago when my clutch exploded! Your carnage is even worse than what I experienced!!

My signature has a link to a few pictures of my destruction.

Glad you weren't injured!!

Later,Norm

I was wondering the same thing. Just a guess (based on the same thing happening to me many years back) but I bet the PP is what failed, and everything else got taken with it. My problem was caused by slipping the clutch too much during a race (sure, I can make a torque converter outta this clutch!!! :bonk: ), the heat got the best of the PP, and the rest is history.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Jason84NA-T
Hey... I recognize that car. :D.

Hey Andy, long time no see.

It's actually a totally different car except for the shell. Nothing remains of the original powertrain, suspension, interior, etc. You should stop by sometime (or vise-versa) as I'd like to see your 260.