HybridZ

Does anyone else do this?

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Just finished removing the motor and tranny today.Not a big deal ,but somewhat of a pain when you don't own a engine hoist. Anyway, I jack the car way up in the air and then remove the short block and tranny from underneath the car.

Does anyone else do it this way??

It's easy to do on concrete ,but as I just found out tonight it's a BITCH on asphalt trying to get it all to slide.....uphill!! haha

Later,Norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]
You're nuts! I bet once you get a cherry picker' date=' you'll still just unbolt everything and hoist up the body :mrgreen:

!M![/quote']

HAHA, I actually thought about doing it that way!!! LOL

You know the rear exhaust stud is already a weak link and that's where the hookup is to remove the engine. I think I will bolt up the old stock manifold and just wrap a chain around when I reinstall. My buddy is gonna let me borrow his Cherry Picker since the last time I lifted that bitch back into place with my skinny little arms I blew my roids out for a month!!! LOL

I use to have a 1st gen mr2 that you had to do this way. Pain in the arse. Its the only car that I "had" to remove it from bottom. Only other time I have done it that way was last week. I dropped the motor out of the ghetto beast just because I needed to get to the steering rack and was too lazy to go rent a engine hoist, engine is still just sitting on floor underneath the car. One day I will put my creeper under it and move it somewhere else where it can take up more room. :) I need to build my engine hoist soon. :twak: One of these yrs.

I used to do alot of motorhome engines and that is the only way to remove them.

My dad told me that there is only two ways to go through life laying flat on your back. 1 is to be a prostitute and 2 is to be a mechanic. He asked me which I'd rather be?

I think most guys are both or would like to be.

That is the hard way of do'n it.

The best car I have seen to get the engine out of was my old mans Fiat 850 sport coupe. Dad could remove the engine and trans in 15 minutes when going for it. The whole back panel is removed - then you unbolt the suspension and disconnect the wires, fuel lines, and hoses then just lift the body enough to clear the whole thing and push it forward onto the waiting axles stands (car only weights 900kg and much less when you aren't pushing the engine/trans.

Guest JAMIE T

Tim, that's not true(removing the car from the engine in a 4th gen F-Body). I have taken mine out from the top. TPIS makes a plate that bolts to the top of the intake to hook your hoist to. I think it's called the Happy Hooker, or something like that.

Hey Norm:

After dropping twelve cylinders and a six speed through the top, mine WILL be coming out the bottom if need be. I had to jack up the car to get the angle I needed to swing the motor/tranny assembly into place. Next time I’m using the cherry picker to pick up the car after disconnecting the steering and cross member.

A couple of strong dudes could pick up the motorless car with the right alcoholic influence.

datsun280zmike and I pulled his l28 in three peices, tranny off, unbolted the head(with the whole exhaust system attached!) and then dropped the block out from under the thing. It wasnt too hard to do, but i wouldnt do it with an engine i planned on reusing.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]
datsun280zmike and I pulled his l28 in three peices, tranny off, unbolted the head(with the whole exhaust system attached!) and then dropped the block out from under the thing. It wasnt too hard to do, but i wouldnt do it with an engine i planned on reusing.

Yeah I am actually replacing the block since it has seen 250,000 miles,three broken crankshafts reside within it's confines as well as a few pistons with broken ringlands during the 11.6:1 CR fiasco and also the fact that the lower right corner was blown off 6 years ago from the clutch explosion and I decided I was tired of looking at my huge Washer and Head Bolt arrangement used to hold the tranny on at at the bottom!! haha

Later,Norm

First engine removal: Bought my first car and decided to rebuild the engine. It was a 260Z and I was 14. Removed the head then my dad and I lifted the short block out by hand, resting it on the radiator support along the way, then eventually onto the bench - no harm no foul. Rented a hoist to put it back in - $25 well spent. Second engine removal: '84 GTI parts car. Moving & needing to strip it to scrap the shell but again no hoist. Ended up taking a sawzall and cutting the front (of the car) off between the headlights. Then is was a simple matter of just sliding the engine/transaxle out the front - I would NOT recommend this method if you want to reuse the car. Scary part was when they came to take the shell lacking suspension and inside our garage. They hooked the front to a wrecker, then a guy and a GIRL, one on each side carried the rear of the car out onto a trailer - wouldn't want to piss her off! That car had been flipped in an autocross believe it or not. Third and latest removal - 240Z 'needing a tune up' turned into complete rebuild. Rented a hoist - $30 less well spent. Hoist worked well and everything but it turned out to be a 1500 lb hoist and weighed several hundred pounds. Wouldn't have been that big a deal except the car and the garage are about 100 yards from each other so I had to put the hoist together and take it back appart twice...and I'm not 14 anymore.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks it will finally go back in. Tranny is done (I had to put in a new synchro), new (to me anyway) LSD is cleaned and ready, half-shafts repacked with new boots, engine 95% of the way there. What was to be running in March, then April, well now I just hope to have it running with the driveline back in by the end of May but the end is in sight.

Cameron