HybridZ

Is anyone installing a external oil cooler?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I'm looking into this, and adding an accusump to my RB26. I'm trying to figure out what adapter to use or if Nismo makes something? Maybe also a filter relocator kit? Also, this might be a stupid question, but what oil filter is used on the rb26?

Have you found a relocation kit that fits the RB's?

Maybe GReddy might make one. I know HKS makes a few too, I'll look into it. I know the SR Oil Filters are tiny so the SR kit wont work.

The thread pitch I believe is 3/4 x 16 UNF? Can someone comfirm that with me? And also tell me the size of the oil filter.

So yeah, I need to know that oil filter thread pitch and maybe I can find something out for sure.

I'm looking into this, and adding an accusump to my RB26.

Jamie, i think the accusump system is a great idea, i to am planning to use one of these on my RB, good for prestart lube, but more importantly (i think) is the ability to keep pressure in the gallerys if any surge should happen.

These things are excellent, and cheap insurance.

Jamie' date=' i think the accusump system is a great idea, i to am planning to use one of these on my RB, good for prestart lube, but more importantly (i think) is the ability to keep pressure in the gallerys if any surge should happen.

These things are excellent, and cheap insurance.[/quote']

How cheap is cheap?

18.jpg

Here is a pic of mine it is a combo cooler/relocator with fitting for oil pressure and temp gages. these kits are real common in japan and i believe the oil cooler kit to be around 300 and teh relocator to be another 200 or so. give matt a yell he may be able to hook you up.

basically you remove the main adapter on teh motor and install the one for the kit. Its a bolt on install and real easy.

Guest JAMIE T

Clint, I love seeing pics of your motor, especially since you hooked me up with the valve covers and valley cover off of it. It really helps the motor stand out.

As for the oil relocation kit, I'd like to try to get away with something readily available in the US if I can help it. Although, I do like the idea of getting rid of the OEM filter housing.

I wish I could sandwich an oil cooler and tranny cooler in with mine, but with the back to back S14 FMIC and new radiator V-mounted in the stock location, plus electric fans, there's only about an inch and a quarter of clearance to the engine pulleys.

Dang you 24/26/280Z guys and your extended engine bay! hehehe..

I have thought about maybe locating it in the left or right sides of the bottom front of the car, sort of like a Talon's intercooler or the Z32 setup. but other than that, I have no idea how the heck I would fit one in on my project.

As for the oil relocation kit, I'd like to try to get away with something readily available in the US if I can help it.

Summit Racing sells a relocater kit with universal adapters that will fit the Nissan filter threads. You can put a cooler in there, but it's wise to also have a thermostat. The expensive Japanese blocks, like the one in Clints pic, have a built-in thermostat. I use a block adapter from the non turbo RB20. It's straight, short, and gets rid of the stock cooler mess. They run about $50 from Nissan.

Guest JAMIE T

Matt, you have a PN on that block adapter? That's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Once again proving you're the man!

Can you also show what it looks like Matt?

That mess on the stock motor looks confusing to me, there's a coolant line going through the oil (I'm assuming water cooled oil). I'm sure a nice external oil cooler works well and adds more oil volume too. So please, RB20DET adapter pictures and part number =)

Here is how i remember it..... one line comes from the block to the filter block the oil goes thru the filter then out to the cooler. the oil goes thru the cooler then back to the filter block. it goes striaght thru the filter block then back to the engine block.

I have the stuff out in the garage i will go look at it later and let you know if that was right flow pattern.

Hey Stony' date='

Is that header custom made? or it was just a regular RB26dett Single top mount turbo hheader (t78 or T88)...

that looks sweet...[/quote']

A lot of companies like Trust and HKS make RB26DET Kits with some fatty turbo usually.