HybridZ

Is anyone installing a external oil cooler?

Guest JAMIE T

This "kit" does not include the lines.

I would source my own components' date=' but I'm have a hard time figuring out which adapter to get. Do you know which adapter I should be getting?[/quote']

It does include lines, but is it the correct length for a 240/260? Thats what I meant you should build a kit yourself to your own specs.

• 10 months later...

Well, thought I'd update the oil pan thread.... Here is a shot of the finished pan, showing the right rear passenger side, with the -12 pick up line on the botton, and the head drain mod -12 line above it.

I finally started up the motor, and had instant 60 lbs preasure @ idle...

clickit

33915071960.jpg

a friend of mine usually sources his oil coolers from ebay, look for re-stocked Nascar parts.

some are from nascar teams that only get used for one or two races.

When they replace the engine, the usually replace the oil coolers and everything having to do with internal fluids and such, apparently.

So far, every single one he's gotten has been in about 98% factory new condition.

one had a honkin huge wasp that was left in there, even for transportation. LOL. you would think they would clean it before shipping, but noooooooooo.

I have a remote filter locater and oil cooler setup on my vehicle. It was made by trust/grex. There arent any part numbers on it, but it is the four line setup like on the first page of threads. I am sure this trust/grex part is easy to locate on rinkya. Pics...

IMG_1914.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

If anyone needs more pics, let me know.

Well, thought I'd update the oil pan thread.... Here is a shot of the finished pan, showing the right rear passenger side, with the -12 pick up line on the botton, and the head drain mod -12 line above it.

whats up with that fitting? looks like you tried to bend it by hand

• 2 years later...

Referring to your initial query, I've installed an external oil cooler in my '72 240z in addition to the stock water cooled oil cooler with oil filter adapter. The dealer accidently ordered a 19" wide 3 row rad instead of a 21" and I couldn't return it so I built a rubber mounted oil cooler bracket into the rubber mounted rad mount. I built a rad shroud for the electric rad fan so I think that I'll have adequate cooling.

P2171506_thumb.jpg

P2171512_thumb.jpg

P2171513_thumb.jpg

PC131262_thumb.jpg

PC191286_thumb.jpg

PC191305_thumb.jpg

PC201324_thumb.jpg

PC211363_thumb.jpg

Stroker I notice that you have the same problem as me with the offtake for the aircleaner on the front turbo - have you any ideas on how to deal with re-routing the pipework to sort this?

I have the rear turbo aircleaner sorted very easily but the front one, the flange off the turbo is going to have to be completely refabricated (in original fitment faces straight to the side of the engine bay). I am going to see if I can get a generic flange and then weld on pipework coming straight out to the front whilst missing the aircond pump.

What are you going to do?

rear turbo aircleaner_thumb.jpg

rear turbo aircleaner2_thumb.jpg

front turbo aircleaner_thumb.jpg

Mike, I've only briefly looked at it. I broke my leg and ankle a month ago and it's slowed all aspects of my life down considerably!

I contemplated cutting the stock base plate and fabricating a straight tube forward but the allen screw that holds the plate on the engine side is recessed and won't be accessible. I'm not sure what others do. Perhaps fabricating a short 2" long pipe that allows access to both allen bolts and then using a silicone adapter to the join another pipe to the air cleaner is the answer. I found the photo below that shows a straight pipe, so it's possible.

I've collected a library of photos off the net showing every aspect of other peoples builds but it's funny the close up details you need you never find, that's why I've tried to post detailed photos of my build as it progresses.

rb26d240z2_thumb.jpg

Hi Stroker sorry to hear about the leg!

Thanks for the photo which shows it can be done.

Was this someone off the web, that I could contact?

I also have gallons of photos, but the same issue & no one describes the aircleaners. On my website it is details like this that I go through step by step.

Keep in touch and we will see what each of us comes up with.

I hope the osteoblasts & osteoclasts do their job well on your leg!

regards

Well Stony was dead right. I tried the rear turbo aircleaner fitting on the front turbo and voila that should do the trick - now I just need to find one. Lots of people take off the twin turbos to use a single so ther must be some lying around - any HybridZ members in OZ have one?

See below

Compare front & rear turbo fittings, rear turbo fitting now fitted to front turbo

Front Turbo vs rear turbo fitting_thumb.jpg

Front Turbo using rear turbo fitting2_thumb.jpg

Front Turbo using reaqr turbo fitting_thumb.jpg