HybridZ

Is anyone installing a external oil cooler?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys. I'm happy with it also. Joel, I'm gonna study some oil pan designs to make sure the sump is properly baffled. I have and idea of what I want though.

Guest JAMIE T

That was the file I had to send to the waterjet guy. No other reason. Joel hooked me up with that. I finished TIG welding it last night. I MIG'd the inside seams with the Pulse-on-Pulse machine and TIG'd the outside. LOL, It'd been atleast a year since I'd TIG welded with any regularity, so it didn't start looking REAL good until I was about done. It does look good though. It holds 6 quarts inside the sump, not coming over the step. I have figured out how I'm going to baffle it. I have a stick of aluminum piano hinge I'm going make trap doors out of. The pick-up is going to locate in the middle of the sump to the right side of the pan(the same side the pick-up on the oil pump is on.)

Jamie,

I have made 10 of these pans so they are available without baffling if anyone is interested in purchasing one. You will need to fab your own pickup and baffling. Cost is $300.

It is best to make a solid jig to bolt it to while welding. Otherwise it will have warpage on the flange. All the pans I did came out virtually flat by bolting it to the jig while welding. Nice job...looks familiar.

Funny... When I asked you back in Dec. you told me they had all been sold.

Technically no, but requests were made. I don't want to finish the pans because my plate is full. For those that want to fab the pickup and baffles they can purchase a nice pan for cheap.

Jamie,

As soon as I get off my butt and disassemble my RB26, I can take it to the local fabricator for him to fab a pickup tube. If your interested and have about 4 weeks, I can have him make 2. Since there are a few pans out there of this design, I might ask him to make several - depends on how much they cost.

And Stony - They were used for gasket availability/etc.. As it was explained to me, the inside bolt patter is the same as the other RB motors, making it easier to source a replacement. We are all working from Brad D's original file.

-Bob

0042_01lo.jpg

0042_02lo.jpg

I found pics of external pick-ups.

That's what I am thinking. I am looking at my OE pump and it doesn't appear to be enough meat to thread a 1/2" NPT into. That's the size I would use minimum. The OE pick-up tube is about 5/8" ID, or so it looks without measuring it. I would rather not go smaller than that. I think you can get away with -10 AN as that is right at about 5/8" ID if memory serves me correctly.

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree with you 95%. I noticed that ID of Earl's -10 AN fitting is 5/8" but ID of its hose is smaller. Sharp edge of the fitting seems to cut into the hose wall. Aeroquip, XRP and Goodridge may have gotten different design.

Kazu

Guest JAMIE T

I'm going to be using an external pick-up. The idea sounds more and more better everyday. Check out the thread about oil coolers, etc... James and Joel are onto a good idea. I was going to baffle my pan last night but decided to start building my fuel cell cage instead.

Guest JAMIE T

Nice work! Good job hunting that down! Though I was confident it would work, it IS a relief to see someone else has done it. I'm waiting on my weld bungs. I'm going to use 10AN. I am VERY close to having a new baby here, so progress will slow in a week or so. I hope to have the oil pan plumbed in the next week and my fuel cell in the car.

Guest JAMIE T

I've had several people interested in the flange and or a pan. I'm getting a quote now from my guy for the flanges. He did me a solid and did mine for free since I give him so much work. I should know more maybe tomorrow. I'll be glad to sell just the flange or a whole pan.

0042_01lo.jpg

0042_02lo.jpg

I found pics of external pick-ups.

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree with you 95%. I noticed that ID of Earl's -10 AN fitting is 5/8" but ID of its hose is smaller. Sharp edge of the fitting seems to cut into the hose wall. Aeroquip' date=' XRP and Goodridge may have gotten different design.

Kazu[/quote']

Wow thats cool. Im gonna add that to my ever growing list of things to do on my car. AS matt said my "custom fabbed" oil pickup is always a worry for me. I will not run the car without a oil press gage for that reason.

If you have any questions regarding the accusump or any other RB26 questions, check out a couple of out these pages:

http://rbmotoring.com/gallery/album162

http://rbmotoring.com/gallery/album108

There are other semi to very useful stuff regarding the RB, but there's way to much crap to sort through check it out whenever you guys have time.

I hope this will be some help for the RB guys. Even if you're not, some of the stuff is pretty interesting.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com