HybridZ

Is anyone installing a external oil cooler?

Guest JAMIE T

I finally got around to getting this pan finished up. This is a little different than I've seen it done, but I belive the end result will be the same.

I'm using two -12 dry sump pick up fittings, which will T into one line to the oil pump fitting I have on the outside of my Jun oil pump.

What do ya'll think?? anything mistake wise, jump out at you??

I will have the outside of the pan powder coated...

click on pic

finishedrbzoilpan00073md.th.jpg

finishedrbzoilpan00069fe.th.jpg

finishedrbzoilpan00059zi.th.jpg

finishedrbzoilpan00049cp.th.jpg

hey man that looks good. I am by no means an expert on oil pan design or anything but i thought the oil pickups would have less chance of straving for oil if they were inside the trap door baffling? Again I'm no expert i'm just asking... no matter it looks really good and should work awesome!

I am by no means an expert on oil pan design or anything but i thought the oil pickups would have less chance of straving for oil if they were inside the trap door baffling?

Your right BIZERK.. thats why they are inside the trap door. The pick ups are at the rear of the pan, and the oil flows toward the pick ups upon accel.

It just appears to be a$$ backwards... :lmao: The large single hinge will open inward toward the p/u fittings, then the oil pump should draw only from that small area sectioned off with the bulkhead & hinge....

Guest JAMIE T

Looking good Joel, so that's the set-up the drag boat engine builder recommended?

I haven't touched mine. On the good side, I'm now a bonified LS/VTEC Honda expert, having just done the conversion on my brother Integra. Plus, I'm working on getting Z28 sold. The Z is on the back burner until I get all these little projects out of the way, that includes getting all of Bizerks missing pieces together and shipping them to him and a brake set-up for another guy and shipping some other stuff to another guy.

Well Jamie, thats kinda his version. We looked around in his shop at several motors pans that were being re built, and this style seemed to be chosen on 2 out of three.

I think either or will do just as good a job. The end result is to have the oil flow to a area of your choice, long as the pick ups are there...

This is just my opinion of course. I'm no hot shot engine builder / racer like the guy I use here local.

I just went with the combined knowlage from the guys at their machine shop.

I really didn't want to use both pick up fittings on this pan. I didn't think it was nessary, but they all talked me into it since I already had them...

finished_RBz_oil_pan00080001.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Joel, I finished up my pan this weekend. I only used one of those fittings. I also put holes all through my baffle to help oil drian back. No pics yet.

Joel, I finished up my pan this weekend. I only used one of those fittings. I also put holes all through my baffle to help oil drian back. No pics yet.

Yea Jamie, I went ahead and went with a single pick up also. I just happen to have some -12 oringed port plugs, so I just made the driver side pick up into a drain plug...

I think one -12 sized oil line with a screened pick up on the end will be good enough for us... agreed??

myoilpansinglepickup00049st.th.jpg

click em

myoilpansinglepickup00012es.th.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Yeah, hehe... Now you have a drain plug! I found my camera. It's amazing how easy it is to loose something as small as a digital camera in a Expedition. Will take some pics this weekend.

Now, button that thing up and make tire smoke!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I hadn't posted previously but my garage was broken into almost a week ago. Alot of Snap-on hand tools, my Miller welder, wheels, a set of hubs, a very nice cold saw(with a 14" carbide blade for cutting stainless steel), a couple of air tools, etc... I've been beefing up the garage so that it doesn't happen again. I've filed a police report and have been trying to locate receipts for most of the stuff before calling the insurance company. Fortunately none of the RB stuff was touched. But, it has put a damper on things. Everytime I go in the garage I'm reminded of it, and it pisses me off.

On another note, I've been talking to my machinest about boring my block and resizing the rods and getting some forged pistons for it. I'm thinking about Wiseco's. I already have rod bolts and the R33 crank. And, I've talked to Matt about getting me bearings etc...

We'll see how that goes. I'll try and get pics of the pan this weekend.

Man that sure stinks don't it.... I think all theifs should have a diget removed every time they are caught swiping something. After all the fingers, move on up to the arms... I hate a theif!!

I think you will be glad you chose to go thru that motor first. You can't go wrong swapping to forgies, and a re fresh on the bottom end... and that R33 crank will give you big peice of mind...

j.

• 4 months later...

You're better off piecing the kit together with Earl's coolers and get your own fittings and lines. If you know what size cooler you want, let me know because I might be able to get deals on them. Or Summit or Jegs or something like that.

Stillen makes "kits" and as we all know "kits" are expensive.