HybridZ

Fuel Cells

Juiced

I think that statement is overplayed. Usually it is from not correctly venting the cell, or strapping it down too hard. Do a search it has been discussed ad nauseum. Bottom line is that the consensus is that it isn't a problem. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but it is rare and usually has an underlying cause.....

Tim

mine was vented with a -4 fitting and line to atmosphere, strapped to the point that it was still a little loose. it didnt cave in on itself it just sagged a little bit in the center. Will still use it but if you can afford it id still go with some sort of alum cell.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out yesterday to work on my Z and what do you know, my fuell cell was caved in, sucked in, whatever you want to call it !!! I vented mine exactly as told in a previous post by JohnC !!!

Posted by JohnC: Run it to to right rear corner under the car and make sure the end of the vent line points down and is in the air stream.

This fuel cell issues has been nothing but a nightmare for me !!!

Guest 73LT1Z

Good information & pics here. Just pulled the tank out of my car & found (big surprise) MORE RUST! I think I could cause a "cave opening" by pushing down on the spare tire well.

A 20 gallon cell with the LT1 would be great...

Thinks to self :evil:

Of course, if I go ahead & put that 12 point cage in there as well while I'm at it, I'll be two steps closer to running the car in the unlimited class in open road racing! :D

I've done some research on these & the applicable open road racing rules read as follow for the Super Sport & Unlimited class (I figure if I'm going to do this, it should be done right):

2. Fuel Cell/Tank:

A. Description:

1. A fuel cell is required on all Super Sport and Unlimited cars.

2. There must be a solid metal bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel cell,

filler neck hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.

3. (non-relevant information).

4. The cell shall be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch aluminum, or

0.125-inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.

5. Foam internal baffling is required.

6. The filler cap, line, vent hoses, etc. must be designed so that no fuel will escape if the car

is partially or totally inverted.

B. Installation:

1. Fuel cells must be located within twelve (12) inches of the original tank. This

measurement is taken from the perimeter edge of the original tank to the perimeter edge

of the fuel cell.

2. Additional reinforcements may be added to aid in the installation of the cell, but they shall

not attach to the roll cage.

3. Floor structure may be modified to aid in the installation of the cell.

4. Steel location strapping is strongly recommended to keep the fuel cell from dislocating in

a crash.

3. Restrictions:

A. Installing a fuel cell that hangs significantly close to the ground or is mounted closest to the

rear of the vehicle, even if the installation meets with these rules, may be deemed unsafe and

therefore excluded from the event.

B. Rotary-moulded cells will not be allowed. Most or all, JAZ and RCI brand cells are examples

of a rotary-moulded cells that will not be allowed.

I noted that all the metal cells at Summit are 20 gauge, which converts to .0359". I have yet to find a cell with thicker than 20 gauge metal, so since the above rules only go out to three digits, I suppose the .0359 would be considered .036.

The next issue on this is separating the cell from the driver's compartment. I'm thinking it would need to be under a sub-floor, and I'm working on the idea of relocating a battery box back there as well since the LT1 PCM can go in the Z's battery area (helps w/ balance as well).

The final issue for me is the filler. I've seen a conversion that cut a hole behind the license plate, but I'd just as soon use the regular filler opening. All the cells I've seen have the fill opening right in the middle. Since I don't know much at all about them, I'm wondering if it would be possible to have the filler on the passenger side of the cell and run the filler up into the Z's opening? I could then fab & weld a metal cover for this area so it would be in compliance w/ the above rules.

Doing this would allow for maximum floor area in the rear. It is bad enough I'll be losing the spare tire. It also looks like I can fit a 22 gallon cell back there w/ this plan.

i have never seen any of those summit type of plastic fuel cells on any cars used for any type of racing in scca.its always fuel-safe or atl.i guess it depends on your budget and intended use of your car.since i have not seen any of the plastic units on scca cars i would wonder why people would think the plastic fuel cells are any better then a oem tank.as long as my 77 z tank is over 1/4 full i have no problem with it on track.if you cut the rear trunk floor to install a cell then the top of the cell is now part of car intereor. would want a real (atl or fuel safe) cell for that application.see scca rule books for correct installation.i just changed the pressure fuel line and added a walbro pump and gm filter with aeroquip pushlok lines .all an6 and 3/8 line.the aeroquip hose slides right on to 77 tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just received my Summit alum powdercoated 15 cell today. I like the way you guys have done them, and I think there should be a sheet metal cover of some sort covering it, just to give a little more protection in case of an accident on the street.

That may not be the way I end up doing it though... :twak: I think I will just cut out the spare tire well, then lay a peice of sheet metal to cover the hole rear area, then trace out the cell for the new hole.

Any other pics would sure help from you guys that have installed them already.... hint-hint...:redface:

thanks

joel

My_fuell_cell0004.jpg

I used a Summit 20gal cell with GM sender:

IMG_0448.sized.jpg

IMG_0538.sized.jpg

IMG_0448

Hi Wagz' date=' I see in this other photo from your website that you pointed the sump (pick up) to the rear of the car. Would this be a mistake to point it to the front to hide the lines, since it has a 2" sump, it shouldn't starve for fuel on a street car.

Also, looking inside the cell, I see that the sump is partioned off with foam also, so it should work either way huh??

[img']http://marcsgarage.net/albums/FuelCell/IMG_0451.sized.jpg[/img]

You might be ok facing the sump forward, but even with the sump and the foam there could still be some risk of fuel starvation under hard accelleration on a low tank. On a street car I guess the risk is lower.

EDIT: The other potential issue that occurs to me is that facing the sump forward may cause the mustache bar to interfere with the fuel lines. It would depend on the size of your cell and how you mount it.

Hiding the fuel lines isn't a concern for me since the rear tub of the Velo Rossa body kit completely hides the sump and the lines when it's installed.

I ran out to the garage to take a look under the VR. There is about 3 to 4 inches of clearance between the cell and the mustache bar. I took one other pic from the side to show the sump. I still need to finish up the cell frame and get it painted.

IMG_1155.sized.jpg

IMG_1158.sized.jpg