HybridZ

okay guys.. N/A SR, N/A RB26...

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Well im getting that RHD Fairlady Z and ive been thinking of motors for it.

i gotta figure out what will go in it so i can plan ahead and build this car right.

i want to go with a non-turbo setup this time to try and learn and do something new and also because i havent seen either of these swaps done before without a turbo.

the motors im looking into are the S15 SR20VE and a RB26 but make it n/a.

now i know why go threw all the money on a RB26 and then make it slower then prob stock.

well i love the sound of a n/a motor and im sure i could make some good power out of a n/a ITB 26.. BUT would be smarter to go say with a RB20DE?

think it would be a better track motor?

the SR20VE for the ppl that dont know what it is, is a N/A 210hp and 200 something LB of torque motor, its got VTEC... well nissans version of it which is BETTER then hondas. its a pretty badass little motor that im sure can make close to 300rwhp when fixed up.

its light and has a 6-speed tranny to back it up.

as you can see i think the SR20VE motor would be better then the RB26 (or in my case i think a RB20DE) swap because its already N/A and lighter and will prob make just as much power in this form. But i have a few friends from this site saying to go RB.

now i can get the motors at a pretty good price, pretty much about the same as the SR20VE is a pricey and hard motor to get.

still cheaper to do the SR swap i would think though.

if anybody does have info on these motors in a non turbo setup and wants to share some info that would be great.

the car will be just a Road Racer, and auto-x.

prob see the street once in a blue moon.

mike

I ran my stock rb26 NA for initial rpm tuning here in alaska when i put the 680cc injectors in. Three words for ya SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!!!!!. Maybe i was used to the booste on the motor but it seemed slower then the original L28 i had in it with webers.

Im assuming youd raise teh compression and stuff like that. maybe it would be better after that add some nitrouse and you may be on to something. but taking the turbos off just dosnt seem right

Guest JAMIE T

I'd say go RB26. Use the individual TB's and put velocity stacks on them. Raise the compression and put cams in it. You'll have alot into the motor, but it would make awesome top end power. 4.11-4.56 gears would be needed to keep in its range on a road course.

Are these engines your only options?

Why not a small block chevy? Please don't go import elitist on me. The weight distribution is better than the RB, NA power is more than an RB. Parts are easier to locate. Everything on the planet has been done to them. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Also, I wouldn't build a race car out of a RHD Zcar. Don't you have enough projects?

LOL, Mike, you will never lose your baggage at this site.... student, buys 3 or 4 cars a year, goes thru our dream lists in parts on every car, and works in a nice import garage.... you are going to get nailed everytime you get a car, I am afraid. = )

The 6-spd in the S-15's are considered fairly unreliable from what I hear, but that SR20VE is a pretty cool little engine. I think it would be great in a daily driver, but I would go 5-spd personally if I was looking for performance. I would also check sites like http://www.sr20forum.com/ Lot of knowledge there, if you take into account that they are a lot larger community, so there is a lot more of the useless posting to sort thru.

Guest 81na ZX

what about a regular na SR20DE, from like a 200sx/Sentra with a RWD tranny? Parts are easy to find for that and can make great power too.

Otherwise, for a na RB, I'd go with a RB25DE. Easier to make power and especially torque than a RB20 and way cheaper than a RB26 + building it to na.

you never heard an uncorked 3 rotor na rotary, huh :)

I agree. I have heard both the 3 and 4 rotor with open exhaust at full tilt.....makes the hair on the back of the neck stand up!!! Sweet!!

Get the bigest truck v6 you can find and put some cams in it. Toyota 4.0 or a quad camer from one of the other co.s. Rear wheel drive with tranny already there and should be pretty tough. 100 hp per liter is pretty achievable these days for the road. A lot more if you really want to spin it.

Douglas

If NA is the thing you are after - seem to be a waste on the RB26 - import a RB30E (all are single cam) then put the RB25 head one top = RB30DE put on some throttle bodies. Re the head you will need the RB25DE head from a R32 if you get the R33 head (a better head I am lead to believe) you need to have it modified (oil gallery needs to be relocated, not a big job though).

RB30 are easy to come buy in NZ and OZ (for now, but I am sure many are starting to collect these....aren't you Clint ;) )

From time to time here in NZ you see the combo up for sale (ie already build RB30DE or RB30DET)

Re the 6speeder as stated above they appear to be not that strong.

Guest ON3GO

these arent my only engine choices, just ones that a supplier and friend gave me.

i was just set on the SR20VE, its just so much better then a reg n/a SR20 plus its different and not used alot.

RB26 n/a idea was alex's on here with the SR20DET 240Z.

its a great idea, i think it would make a great setup with the right parts but wouldnt a RB20DE be better? or like ppl say above the RB25DE?

i love rotarys, crap i still own one but im not sure if i wanna do that just yet.

i wouldnt mind a F20C from a S2000 but.. ahhh i dunno.. those are real touchy motors at high horsepower levels when N/A... sorta want it to last atleast alittle bit.

and Jamie T.. i wouldnt mind going n/a.. heck i can get a brand new pretty much LS2 with 6-speed if i wanna use it but not for this car.

thats next

mike

• 2 weeks later...

How about installing a vq motor in it. Either from a new z or some other rwd platform it comes in. This would seem to fit your NA requirements. To afford all of this you have to sale the Idea to your boss that this can be a showcase car for your shop. Get him to sponsor it to some extent. Since your using a new motor all of the tuning can apply to the new Z as well. Not to mention how big motor swaps are right now in the tuner community. You could probably use your shops name to hit up some tuner company to supply parts for it. Just tell them you'll put their sticker on it. There can't be to many fairlady's in the states. You would be surprised the things you can get by just asking. My wife is into business and you wouldn't believe the deals she works with people. Just by doing a little research and asking. Just my two cents.

Good luck either way you go

Guest bastaad525

does SR20VE really make 200hp???? I thought it was like 170?

Anyways... after nearly a year with this '91 Sentra SE-R, I LOVE the SR20 motor... paired with the very close ratio 5-speed... it feels much more powerful than the 140hp that it's rated at (just as powerful as a stock L28E). It sounds great revving just past it's 7500rpm redline. I wish I had more time and money to start with upgrades as I'm sure this motor will really be sweet with some hotter cams and intake and exhaust. They are pretty abundant motors from what I've seen and VERY cheap, you can find them for about $300.