HybridZ

finally seeing results

grumpyvette

garage.jpg

heres the current state of my 36 W x74L x 16 foot tall garage

Ive got about $50,000 spent at this point, $20,000 was in just site prep work and plans the 3500psi slab ie 6" thick reinforced concrete, the 2x6 trusses and 50 year gauranteed shingles alone cost $10,000.

they tell me the walls and roof should be up within two weeks now

btw I ordered 37 sq of shingles, they require a 3 week order cycle lead time

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one heck of a garage:shock: . I'm happy with my additional little 12 x 24 that I built for my Z. Is this just for your own projects or do you plan to run some type of commerical business from this building?

"do you plan to run some type of commerical business from this building?"

not really. but I own 3 corvettes two trucks and a tractor, which never see the inside of the garages as its used as an engine shop. plus I currently have 4 big block chevy and 3 sbc engine under various stages of construction, in my old 20 x 20 garage Ive used for years as my engine shop, being built for friends, so the new space will be welcome, as its 6.5 times larger

Its always interesting to see how fast you run out of room. I built a 6m x 20m 20ft x 65.5ft) shed about 4 years ago. Basicly five good bays but we converted one into a lunch room. Out of room now and am building another on behind it thats a little bigger again.

Douglas

"You must beware the deadly "Junk expands to fill all available space" virus!!!!!"

yeah the WIFES A CONFIRMED CARRIER! of THAT PARTICULAR VIRUS!

"the old, HONEY put this in the garage untill I figure where I want it!"

my garage has a differant set of rules (copy of rules below)

grumpyvetteS RULES

(1)(WIFE/FAMILY/FRIENDS) NO! you can,t store anything not car or hunting related in the garage, anything thats needed in the house we might need (sometime in the future) gets thrown out within 24 hours MAXIMUM

(2)never let anyone dumber than you touch anything WITHOUT COSTANT DIRECT SUPERVISION

(2A) OUR SAFETY IS THE FIRST CONCERN HERE, NOT getting YOUR car fixed, and I don,t expect things like minor fires or jacks getting lowered unexpectedly) SMOKING is allowed only 15 or more feet outside the garage (yeah even if its raining)

(2b)theres a large CO2 fire extinguisher and a first aid kit along the wall near each door I don,t expect to need to tell your where its located should the need ever come up

(3) NO! YOU MAY NOT BORROW ANY TOOLS

(4)I will be very glad to assist you in any projects as long as you realize a few basic concepts,while I don,t normally charge for work ,,unless prior agreements on cost is involved, and then it is usually only to cover costs ,I don,t expect to be working on your car by myself with you not here, or paying for expenses generated by the car I don,t own

(a)if its your car YOUR paying for ALL parts and machine work

(b)while I don,t usually mind working for 16 hours at a stretch, I quit the minute YOU walk away or stop helping , even if all your doing is just getting me tools, while I work on YOUR car

©YOU AGREE if you leave something here for 60 days its considered TRASH and gets THROWN OUT OR SOLD, AND IM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT! (if its YOURs YOU KEEP IT AT YOUR HOUSE!)

(5)anything in the refigerator is freely available, in unlimited quanities,soda, BEER, SNACKS ,ETC. EXCEPT my brandy (while I rarely drink more than a shot glass full in a week, I get really %%^*&(* if its missing)

(6)ask BEFORE schedualing a project or buying parts for that project, I may already have them available (for lower cost or FREE and I usually know where its available either cheaper or in a better quality)

(6) if you don,t TRUELY understand how something works ASK,DON,T TOUCH (see #2 and #2a)

(7)yes I expect you to replace any major supplies you use up,and I don,t expect that I will need to go get them, its YOUR job to have them(see 4A)

(8) we work on G.M. and MOPAR PRODUCTS!!!!!NOT FORDS except under very limited conditions

(9)having fun, doing quality work, and working safely is far more important than getting a job rushed thru and done cheaply, If thats a problem, try the shop down the block!

(10) yes IM well aware that theres things in the garage that are totally unsuited to KIDS,(machines, sharp objects, chemicals, playboy calenders, ETC, NO they can,t come in unless you understand thier safety is TOTALLY YOUR PROBLEM and they STAY under your constant control, and no IM not locking the thing up or moving them

(11) theres a large pad and several pens near the phone DON,T write on receipts or the wall

just because a 650hp big block was not a factory option in no way means I CAN,T INSTALL ONE!!

tim240Z

after its complete Im sure I will have at least one complete set of blueprints available ' date='should you choose to duplicate the garage ,that will save you about $700[/quote']

Thanks for the offer Grump, but I don't think a cinderblock building will be up to code in shake country........we gotta build our stuff out of termite food....

I designed my garage, but i had to have a licensed Architect provide structural calculations for my dinky 12' x 24' wood frame garage. I had to use Simpson pre-fabricated sheerwall panels (that cost over $250 a piece) on either side of the garage door, as well as 30" deep x 12" wide footing in front and back, 18" deep x 12" footings everywhere else, I can't even remember how much steel reinforcement, and the whole thing had to be sheared with plywood under the lap siding.

My house may fall down in the next earthquake, but my garage will still be standing:icon52: .