HybridZ

400 SBC vs. California Emissions

Hey all, first time posting here. I have not worked on cars before, and therefore ask you to please be patient with me.

Now then, about a month ago I purchased my first project car - a 1976 Datsun 280Z with a Chevy small block 400 crammed into it, behind which sits a TH350 tranny, and what I believe to be the stock Datsun rear diff.

I purchased the car in Washington, and U-Hauled it down to SoCal. I let the car vegetate in my backyard for about a month, during which time I only replaced a leaking tranny line. Last Friday I called a referree center and scheduled a Monday appointment. On Monday I took the car to the referree, popped the hood, and they told me that I could keep my block but everything attached to it would have to go.

Apparently the car was setup as a track car, and as such it is unfit for California driving. The referree pointed out just a few examples of changes that would have to be made including but not limited to:

-Carbeurator (Carter Competition Series)

-Intake (Not sure)

-Exhaust (Pipes lead into dual glass packs, then converge into what I was told was a baffle)

As far as I know, the rest of the engine is still stock (but that is probably not the case). I'll include a couple of pictures I have of the engine at the end of the post.

So now, I come to my decision I was hoping you all could help me with. So far, I have come up with 3 solutions (and I'm open to suggestions):

1. Remove everything from the block and start over, sell all my old parts to help recuperate money. I don't really like carbeurators so far though, so I'll move on to...

2. Swap the 400 over to TPI. In the process I would be replacing most of what (I assume) the referrees will be looking at.

3. Swap out the engine for something else. As I said before, I don't really like carbeurators so far so I was thinking something along the lines of an 85-92 Corvette/Camaro engine. The cost will be offset by whatever I can sell a complete 400ci for.

Right now I'm leaning towards option 2, I'm not sure that I want to start pulling engines already, and as for carbs...

For all 3 options I will still be stuck putting catalytic converters on my exhaust. Also, I was told by an outside source I might have to remove my glass packs (the car runs pretty quiet right now though).

Money is fairly tight after buying the car, but I would much rather save up and do the right thing than do a half-a__ job.

I apologize if I left anything out.

-Greg

Here are the only pictures of my engine that I have at the moment (I can take more if need be).

engine29vi.jpg

engine17qb.jpg

The law in CA says that you can only swap in a newer motor into an older chassis, and when you do you have to have all of the legal smog equipment for that engine in the car it originally came in. Probably the easiest thing to do to bring it into legality would be to research the engine serial number, buy one of those trucks that came with the 400, hopefully broken, and swap all the smog crap onto this engine.

The other option is to get a Z that is smog exempt (I believe that 75 and earlier are now exempt) and swap all the stuff from your car into it. I would definitely go this route, because it will be a lot easier and you can keep all the performance stuff on the engine.

You do not have to smog test the car due to the year and the testing exemption. To be 100% legal, you are doing the right think, but not necessary if you want to take the risk. Is DMV requiring you to have the car inspected?

If they are requiring the inspection, and you have some extra cash, you could either swap in a factory FI motor (F-body, vette etc etc), or buy an aftermarket fuel injection system (holley, accel, edelbrock etc) and bolt it to the engine you have in there already. Just make sure that any aftermarket system you buy had a CARB (CA Air Resources Board) registration number stating that it is legal in CA....

To be legal, you will also need EGR, air pump etc.....

Although there are thousands of pre-1976 cars running around without appropriate emissions equipment, it is still a state and federal offense to tamper/remove the equipment, or run a car without the required equipment. If you choose to go that route, you do so at your own risk. (legal disclaimer complete)Tim

Also...unless the car originally came with cats, you do not need to install them, unless you install a much newer engine (96+ OBDII). Last time I spoke with a referee tech, he said if the computer needs the post cat O2 sensor signal to operate without throwing a code, then Cats are required.

You do not have to smog test the car due to the year and the testing exemption. To be 100% legal, you are doing the right think, but not necessary if you want to take the risk. Is DMV requiring you to have the car inspected?

Is it 76 now? If so, I'm sorry for the innaccurate info. Just go down to DMV, don't mention the V8 and they'll probably register it without any inspection whatsoever.

Also...unless the car originally came with cats, you do not need to install them, unless you install a much newer engine (96+ OBDII). Last time I spoke with a referee tech, he said if the computer needs the post cat O2 sensor signal to operate without throwing a code, then Cats are required.

I had a friend swap a FI 280 engine into a 240 about 10 years ago, and the cat was definitely necessary at that time. Any and all smog equipment that came on the doner vehicle had to be on the recipient vehicle. Maybe you talked to a "friendly" referee.

I'm pretty sure it's permanently '75, Governator signed off the bill removing the 30 year rolling exemption (my car would have been legal next year) and signed in a permanent 1975 and older don't have to be smogged.

I posted this on the hotrodders.com forum also (http://www.hotrodders.com/t64978.html) and so far the general consensus seems to be cut my losses, sell it, and buy something smog exempt.

One idea I heard that sounded interesting was some creative work with the VIN. A 1975 280z is smog exempt, and would be visually the same as my car...

Sorry Jon and Greg....I stand corrected. 1975 and older are exempt.

Greg, if the Z is solid and rust free, then, if you want to do it right, then just replace the engine/tranny with a newer FI unit. You will want to swap that TH350 for an overdrive unit anyways. You can sell the current Engine/Tranny combo to the Hot Rod guys and put it towards another unit.

Finding a Z in good condition is tough......

Yeah, I probably paid more for my car then I could get if I tried to sell it now. That kind of detracts from the idea of selling it for me. The car is as close to rust free as a 30 year old car can get though, and it looks pretty nice in my opinion atleast.

280z5mt.jpg

I was hoping to hold onto it, but it's starting to sound like selling it and cutting my losses, and buying another might just be the thing to do. Otherwise I'll have to smog it every 2 years for the rest of her life.

Greg' date=' if the Z is solid and rust free, then, if you want to do it right, then just replace the engine/tranny with a newer FI unit. You will want to swap that TH350 for an overdrive unit anyways. You can sell the current Engine/Tranny combo to the Hot Rod guys and put it towards another unit.

Finding a Z in good condition is tough......[/quote']

I'm totally with Tim on this one. Getting a TPI or even an LT1 engine would be the way to go and do it smog legally. OR do this:

Keep the 400 SBC and do a turbo ZX conversion (which is legal) on your car. At that point, keep the car and drive it like it is OR sell it off and put the 400 SBC in a clean 240Z. I like the idea of the 400 Chevy--they are getting much harder to come by IMO. I would take my chances on getting a decent Z over the motor. Also, you could get a relatively clean '75 280Z or '74 260Z for cheap and put the Chevy motor in there. Lots of choices, just make sure you do what will work for you. Only remember that your car will continue to be smog tested every so often, so whatever you do has to be done legally...

Davy

Guest Dylan

Have you thought about getting a 1975 280 parts car and swapping VIN numbers? ...I wouldn't ever do it or recommend it even since that would be illegal, and I respect the law 100% but...

The thought of changing VIN's with a 1975 has been explored, but having my car suspected as being stolen and being crushed doesn't seem like much fun at all. Also, I'm not sure I want to cut into my firewall at this point.

As for the lions on the prowl asking how much my car is, thanks for your interest but please give me a couple of days to consider my options (I'll get back to you).

And to the rest of you, thanks a lot for all the advice.

-Greg

I have another idea for you.Put a proflo injection(I'm sure it has a CARB #) or TPI on it,and put cats on it.I feel sure it would pass any sniffer test,not to mention run better.Being in a non-inspection state,I dont know,would they go to the trouble of getting the block serial number and identifying it as a 400? I doubt it but one of you Cali guys may know better about that.I dont envy you guys having to go through that crap just because you have a cool car.And that is a cool car.Looks like a clean body and a clean install,mind if we ask how much you got it for? Dont be shy,most of us have much more in ours than we even admit to ourselves.Go ahead boys,call me a liar!

400Z That's a way cool car man!

What sell it ?? No way! Try to keep it! Whatever the motor ends up being.. if the car drives well and is rust free like you say. Keep it! Look at it this way....Fixing the motor for the commie smog pigs is way easier and cheaper than years of body and chassis work. Chevys are a dime a dozen,... Rust free solid Z's in 2005 are not.