HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

Guest Z31_Driver

Well I've been talking to Walter Mckinney through email still and I found out he will be making a kit to put either a RB25DET or a RB26DETT engine into a Z. He said it should be completed fall of 2005. If I was to get the kit, I'd probably go with the RB25DET engine instead of the RB26DETT.

Also, I thought you had to use 200ZR mounts? Which means, I couldn't just bolt up one of those engines to my 300ZX mounts.

Edit: The mounts are going to be made from mild steel.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

appears that they have built the mounts for the earlier mount style with the two bolts going up into the chassis. QUOTE]

Thats what I was hoping for... I have the earlier one, and every 240Z I've seen with the swap had the later style. I'll definately be watching for this kit....

Thats what I was hoping for... I have the earlier one, and every 240Z I've seen with the swap had the later style. I'll definately be watching for this kit....

When it comes close to them being finished, I'll go talk to them to see if they can give us some kinda group rate if I have the time to treck out there one day. I'll look over the kit, but if they don't finish in time I might have to custom mount mine.

I'll also double check the fitment and which style tranny mount it uses.

NOTE! Also I am under the assumption that either the RB25 or the RB26 used in this kit will be mated to a R33 GTS-T Box.

a group rate would be sweet!!.. I'll start getting my ducks in a row now. I've been going back and forth between deciding on a motor swap... this kit (when it comes out) may seal the deal.. I would like to keep the 240Z Nissan...

a group rate would be sweet!!.. I'll start getting my ducks in a row now. I've been going back and forth between deciding on a motor swap... this kit (when it comes out) may seal the deal.. I would like to keep the 240Z Nissan...

That's my exact reason why I won't go V8. Nissan powered. I wonder which driveshaft would have to be utilized.

I would like to keep the 240Z Nissan...

That's my exact reason why I won't go V8. Nissan powered.

I hope you guys appreciate what you're getting yourselves in to when you make statements like that around here. That kind of sentiment is not looked upon too kindly by some around here. You better read the Hybrid Z Rules and Guidelines again. Just a heads up...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

You better read the Hybrid Z Rules and Guidelines again...

I don't think anything they said really breaks any of the rules. They weren't trashing the V8 swap, they were just stating thier preference for keeping thier engines Nissan.

The mere mention of keeping your Z "all Datsun" will be frowned upon.

That's right from the Rules and Guidlines.

I don't want to make a big deal out of this. I just don't want to see these guys get nailed by the moderators.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Edit: BTW... Please don't take anything I have said (above or in this post) as trying to be argumentative or disrespectful. That is definately not the intention. Nigel is absolutely correct and is only trying to ensure that members don't unintentionally open themselves up for abuse. His post was a polite way to bring attention to the rules of this site... and that is always a good thing.

Objection sustained. :-D

However... that statement is prefaced by:

Do not ever get on the purist Datsun/Nissan soapbox or promote Datsun/Nissan only swaps.

[ :twisted: ]

My clients were merely stating thier 'desire' to keep a Nissan engine in thier vehicles. They were not on a soap box, nor were they 'promoting' a Datsun/Nissan only swap.

[/ :twisted: ]

Just kidding. Good looking out... I would just hate to see someone get dinged for wanting to keep their car a Nissan Hybrid. As long as they aren't bashing any other swaps, acting like a snobbish purist, or pretending that Nissan motors are the only way to go... are they really doing harm? Guess that's probably up to the Admins and Mods to evaluate on a case-by-case basis.

[guilty conscience] Heck...I've probably made this error myself [/guilty conscience]

wasn't bashing at all.... it was just a preference of mine... makes it easier for me if I'm getting parts from one manufacturer... that's all... Besides, I may end up with a V8 swap in the end. Its just that I have a few friends with shops who know the RB motors pretty well.

BTW, what make someone decide between Ford or Chevy???

BTW' date=' what make someone decide between Ford or Chevy???[/quote']

Personal preference? Lol. There is a huge aftermarket for both Ford and Chevy engines... and you can buy parts for them at any Autozone/Kragen/Schucks(sp?)/Checkers/O'Reilly's...etc.

Personal preference? Lol. There is a huge aftermarket for both Ford and Chevy engines... and you can buy parts for them at any Autozone/Kragen/Schucks(sp?)/Checkers/O'Reilly's...etc.

haha, well it was more of a sarcastic reference to chevy and ford engine purists (all in fun of course).

Honestly, I don't care what engine goes in my Z, as long as it's as fast as it looks haha. I love the 'soul' of my little L6 3.0L stroker, but it's just not as powerful as I would like it to be..

First off, I'm sorry if my statement offended anyone. It really wasn't meant to be that.

BUT!, I'm a Z lover of all sorts. Even to the point that I donate to this site because I believe in what it stands for, not because it says "Donating Member" under my name. I could care less about that.

My statement just reflects that in my vehicle I don't care for a V8. Not even a VH45 or VK56 [Correct me if I'm wrong on those engine codes]. When I said Nissan Powered I meant to say that about the RB. Clear anything up?

Okay good. I know no one was bashing anyone, but I just wanted to clear that up, and thank you Nigel for watching out for me.

I went the the Midwest Great Lakes Z Day event in Columbus Ohio on July 16th that ZROC held and a guy trailered in his 260z with an RB26DETT. He used the Z31 motor mounts, an R200 rear end, the RB25DET Transmission, the front half of the RB26DETT drive shaft, and had a custom Intercooler and piping made. It was very sweet and clean. He said the engine was completely stock but he did turn up the boost and was laying down 380whp.

Now I just need to find a decent rolling chasis of a 240z, 260z, or 280z and then order all the other parts ie. engine, tranny, driveshaft, mounts, etc.

But if McKinney Motorsports is making a kit then I just may hold out and place one big order with them for EVERYTHING....keep us informed on their kit if you all can....

UPDATE:

McKinney said it's about another 60 days or less until they release the kit.

They will have complete kits with wiring, intercooler etc. Of course you can just solely buy the mount kits and custom plumb your own intercooler and do your own wiring.

Couple of concerns. I don't know which tranny mount they have designed, either the bolt ups, or the slide through pins. Also, driveshaft, I don't know which rear end they have made the kit for. I assume the R180 and the R200 have the same bolt pattern for the driveline [correct me if I'm wrong]. Also under the asumption of the RB25DET transmission.

Also mentioned a group deal, if we can get a lot of orders it might be worth our while. Two months for me waiting is a long time, but I'm in no hurry if the kit is what it's supposed to be.